The Effect of a Veteran

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by STEEL BLUE TEXANS, Jan 1, 2007.

1. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

These are parts of an article I found off a Ravens website talking about how a veteran quarterback can improve the play of an offensive line without even having to make any changes to the personnel. The Baltimore Ravens' offensive line last season gave up almost 50 sacks. This season they have given up only 17 sacks. The difference? Steve McNair. I am posting this because I believe we are currently in a similar situation as the Ravens were in last season. Do I still think some changes need to be made to the offensive line? I do, but I don't think they are as drastic as others tend to believe.

http://extremeravens.com/columnists/tim_sylvester/the_effect_of_a_veteran/

Texans_Chick and Runner like this.
  2. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I think Sage is that guy for us. His presence is outstanding and he led our team back when he played.

3. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

I remember watching the Eagles game and the commentators mentioning the Texans as 1 of 2 teams that contacted Jeff Garcia about becoming a backup. With the way he has played this year, I wouldn't mind bringing him in next season as a stop-gap for a year or two until whatever QB it is we have to groom is ready to take over.

4. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Agreed. Kubiak has made statements about him to that effect. He's talked about how guys gravitate to him and how he is a natural leader.

5. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

I think we would be better served with a veteran who has a good amount of experience as a starter although Sage has looked fairly decent in the limited time he has gotten the snaps.

6. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

With Garcia, we will just have to see what he does in the playoffs.

7. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I think going 5-1 in the Eagles final 6 games, just to get them in the play-offs after it looked really bleak, says plenty about Garcia.

8. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Garcia played well when he had a pretty good 49ers team around him. He played well this year when he had a pretty good Eagles team around him. He played very poorly when he had a very bad Lions team around him. He played very poorly when he had a very bad Browns team around him.

Just an observation.

9. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

But, also, in the Browns and Lions, he was playing in non-WCO schemes. With the Eagles and Niners, he's playing in West Coast systems that take advantage of his strengths.

10. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Is Sage the answer/ Maybe, maybe not. But even so, its getting annoying how many people steal others topics. This topic is about the value of a veteran QB who has enough trust from their HC to make their own decisions at the line.

Sage has NEVER been a starting QB. He is a career backup. So in what way does he even remotely deserve mention in this thread?

I like what I see from him so far, but there is no need to drop his name into every thread that even mentions QBs. Sheesh