The Dirty Little Truth About the Texans Roof Policy

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Aug 11, 2013.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The policy:

But the Chronicle's Science reporter found that:

[​IMG]link

2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Roof closed = louder = better for the good guys. :cowboy1:

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I always thought that the Retractable roof is the biggest waste of money Esp when it may be open one or times a year?

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Prior to the Steeler debacle, the roof was open fairly often. Since, not so much. No one has ever passed out due to too much shade.

5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I wish they would open it more often. 80* might be a bit warm, especially on the sunny side of the field, but if it's in the high 50's to mid 70's, open the damned thing. Outside football is awesome!!!

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I thought the league wanted closed stadiums, but real grass & the retractable roof was a way to make that happen. During the week, the roof is normally open, for the grass. So I think they are getting their money's worth out of it.

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The only problem is that even with the roof open 24 hrs a day, because of the way the architects designed and oriented the stadium, the amount of sun that the grass received still would not be adequate for it to be optimally maintained (and that is not even accounting for long stretches of cloudy days). That's why it requires frequent transport of the pallets out of the stadium, or replacement.

8. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    The lid is closed because that's the way Kubiak wants it folks. He's on record as having said so.

It's really not a brain teaser.

9. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

I like a controlled enviroment. Noise is a better homefield advantage than climate. Just sayin

10. Vance87

Vance87 Hall of Fame

Just wait until Goodell pulls a Selig and makes us open the roof for a January night game. If we ever get one of those.

11. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

If other teams are "allowed" to have open air stadiums in the freezing winter, then McNair can bring in artificial snow-makers for all I care. Yes, it is a home-field advantage. Get over it.

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I understand and support the 80 degree limit. 80 degrees in direct sunlight is pretty harsh. And let's face it, heat is our frozen tundra here. I do not get the 50 degree lower limit. 50 degrees is awesome football weather. Cold weather in Houston is not unbearable, and again, direct sunlight heats up the inside of that stadium to warmer than the mercury says anyway.

13. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

I hate domes but I like the loud crowd. At least our turf is not ugly like the Superdome or Metrodome. Must be the sun.

14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

They have 2 or 3 fields worth of these trays, right? How hard would it be to rotate them and not put a field worth of skids in before game time on Sunday? With this system, we should never have turf problems. If the trays don't fit right, fix them til they do.

15. MEGA SWATT

MEGA SWATT Hall of Fame

Leave it closed all the time:scarygirl:

16. ThaJokaa

ThaJokaa True Texans Fan

They probably just leave it closed now since all the nuts and bolts got rusted up there since they never opened the darn thing!

17. TexanDave

TexanDave Veteran

I would like for the roof to be open more often but in their defense the 3 games last year where the temp fell in 50/80 range there was a chance of rain, even if just slightly. People not covered by the roof overhang would have been complaining about getting wet.

And without any kind of airflow in the stadium it can get hot in there so that has to be considered even if it is 79 it feels much warmer than that.

18. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

It has been proven that this is incorrect. It is no louder with the roof closed than open. If it was true how come the Seahawks stadium is the loudest in the NFL?

19. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

That really doesn't prove anything. Each structure is different and has different acoustics.

That doesn't mean that Reliant is louder or quieter with the roof closed/open. I'm just saying that the fact that the Seahawks stadium is loud doesn't mean Reliant would be too.

I don't go to the games, but I'd like to see the roof open more if the temp is comfortable.

20. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Go to Green Bay and ask those fans if they mind getting wet. Only difference is it's 14 below zero when they are getting wet. Hell, it's a badge of honor. It's football, not tiddly winks.

I don't like the stadium design. I realize it was for the rodeo. Screw the rodeo. This is football, not bull riding. Why should they have had to compromise? Let the rodeo build their own place. Miami is open air. Jax is open. Other warm areas are as well. If it was oriented different, with a different roof design, I bet the air flow and breezes would be much better.