The curious case of Benjamin Tate

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Rey, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Rey

Rey Guest

The running back situation behind Foster intrigues me. Ward seems to have the #2 spot sewn up. After that it gets a little tricky.

By all accounts, Ben Tate is the most talented back up, but songstress he ha shown the least throughout camp. Slaton and obogannya have both been impressive. If the pre season games hold true to training camp observations, what do you do with Ben Tate?

Keep him because of his draft status/ potential? Trade him?

If slaton is looking good again and over his injuries he can produce some big, big plays in this offense. or he could be trade bait.

Would you entertain trades for ward? Would you carry 4 rb's and try to get bo27 onto the practice squad? Gonna be some painful cuts all over the place.

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Keep Ward and Tate, trade Slaton. We can always find another Ogbonnaya.

3. CharloTex

CharloTex All Pro

The RB situation should be perfectly clarified during the preseason. It is highly unlikely, IMHO, that we get through camp/preseason without one of the RBs being injured or demonstrating suckage. They can park the injured RB on the PUP list and postpone the decision until sometime in October I believe. Also, I think Tate can still be placed on the practice squad but he may not clear waivers to get there. He was after all a second round pick.

4. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

This "Denver" offense needs RB numbers, IMO. You see guys go down.

Really looking forward to seeing Tate in action against ones.

5. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

What was the name of that tight end that they took in the second round that never made it onto the field because he was injured all the time.

Tate's already reminding me of him, but I can't remember his name.

6. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

AGAIN, Tate is going nowhere and its a bit absurd to even speculate otherwise at this point.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

We are ok with what we have with plenty of time to look for cuts or trades. As others have said, Tate is going nowhere. Due to injury, he has not been able to show anything.

8. BuffaloglennTX

BuffaloglennTX Rookie

Was it Benny Joppru?

9. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

Yes, pretty sure it was.... :gun:

10. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Yeah, that's right! Thank you!

Benny Joppru, Ben Tate, damn we gotta quit drafting these fricken Benjamins.

11. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

12. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

For those who may have missed it, there is an entire thread on this subject.
    Does Ben Tate's Situation remind you of Bennie Joppru ?

My post in this thread:

13. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Some folk'll never pull a hammy but then again some folk'll. Come on folks, let's compare hamstring injuries for a RB to that one guy that made Antwaan Molden look like he was made of steel.

14. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

link

I wonder why Kubiak is calling out Tate like he's dogging it........and that's what it seems like? Is there something we don't know?

15. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    I've been noticing that as well. Kubiak has been riding Tate like a two bit fair pony. I've not heard GK say many, if any kind words about him. Sure seems as though Tate has made his way into the Coach's doghouse and that's never a good place to be.

Would they even consider cutting a 2nd rounder this early in his career?

16. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Well, you have to wonder if your roster spot was on the line, would you tough out an injury like a hamstring? I'm sure it could be done but at what point do you stop listening to the player saying 'I'm not ready'? He says no-go but I'm sure Kubiak has seen players tough out a hamstring before, so that's where he sits. Maybe it has something to do with Foster and how they handled him by comparison. Tate might think, "You shut him down for a week no questions asked but I've got the same injury and you expect me to play?"

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think it has to do with the fact that he was drafted very high, mixed with OB27 must be really impressing, and now he's got a decision to make, combined that he already missed time last year.

Kubiak needs guys who are going to produce this year. HIS job depends on it possibly.

Also, anyone else curious about the fact that Vickers has been getting some carries in a one back formation? Vickers makes for that big body that Tate would provide to help in short yardage situations.

18. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

There are different levels of hamstring injuries, some are minor and heal quickly and others do not. If you push an athlete to return too quickly you risk a more serious hamstring tear or additional injuries from compensation patterns. I had a hamstring injury that disappeared with a week of rest and another that took 1 month to semi- heal, I ran with a protective gait and eneded up with a groin pull because of it. I say trade Slaton and let the kid heal properly so we can see what he can do

19. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

I hope it is the reincarnation of benjamin bratt....i mean tate soon......sorry there was thinking of the iron maiden song.........

20. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

What do you do with Tate if Slaton and/or Ogbonnaya outplay him? Do you cut a 2nd round pick the year after you draft him? Practice squad is unlikely because someone would probably sign him immediately.