Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Core of the Texans going forward.

LBC_Justin

Rookie
I have watched every game this year. It has been painful, but here is who I see as the core of our team in the future. Feel free to add or subtract from this list etc.

Offense:
Andre Johnson - Although injured a good chunk of this season, he is still the force to be reconed with at WR for the Texans. (Playing a little too much on Emotion in the last game but at least he looks alive and it is very clear he hates losing. We don't want anyone who is content with losing on this team.)

Jerome Mathis - amazing Talent, and already a special teams star. I hope to see him become a star at WR.

Armstrong - he needs more playing time.

David Carr - call me crazy but I still see him as the man. I don't see us upgrading very much by any one we could get in the draft.

Dominick Davis - I don't know what to think about this guy. Part of me tells me we could upgrade this position alot in the draft, but part of me tells me that DD has been amazing considering our O-line.

Kris Brown - doing his job on Special Teams just fine.

Defense:
Dunta Robinson - Heck of a rookie year last year. A clear stand out this year on the Texans. I hope to see him in a Texans uniform for a long long time.

CC Brown - Young Talented Defensive player. Seems to be in the mix alot.

Sanders - Young Talented Defensive player. (Seemed to be involved a lot in this last game against the Chiefs.)

Phillip Buchanon - If someone teaches this kid how to tackle I think he will be a very nice compliment to D-Rob. In the future I see him as being a good starter but not a super star. Plus he is a decent return man. Well worth keeping on the roster.

All of the guys above will look even better if we had a good pass rush.

Travis Johnson, is a rookie, he is in a postion that I did not imagine a rookie could have a huge impact his first year. Honestly I have not watched him play enough to have formed a solid opinion on him. I imagine at the bare minimum he will be a very very solid starter for this team in the future.

BIG QUESTION MARKS:

Our LineBackers: I have not noticed anyone stand out as a great player. For that matter our LB core has seemed pretty weak this year.

Our Defensive Line: Has put very little pressure on the opposing team's QB. They have made our DBs look worse than they are.

O-line: I don't know anymore. Hard to tell who is good and who sucks anymore. If you ask me they all stink. But it seems a lot of people are high on Chester Pitts recently.

Tight End - wait do the Texans even have a tight end? I though we just had an extra guy who blocks.

Corey Bradford - cut him.

OFF SEASON PRIORITIES
Whew where to begin...
We need players that will allow us to do the following.
1. Protect our QB, for a decent amount of time, without having to have 7-8 blockers.
2. Any postion that can give us a much more effective pass rush.
3. Defensive players that will cause turnovers.
4. A good tight end.

At least one BLOCKBUSTER Free Agent that will come in and help redifine this teams Idenity. (with the aid of a new coaching and management staff)

DD will eventually be replaced...i say within the next two years...
And I seriously doubt any blockbuster free agents will want to play for the new NFL graveyard team...everything else I pretty much agree with

I agree pretty much with what you are saying, eventhough you may take some heat for including Carr. I do think we can land a good FA but not likely a blockbuster kind of guy. We may be able to grab a guy like Lecharles Bentley or Andre Davis if they shake free.

xtruroyaltyx said:
DD will eventually be replaced...i say within the next two years...
And I seriously doubt any blockbuster free agents will want to play for the new NFL graveyard team...everything else I pretty much agree with

DD just signed a 5-yr. deal, which tells me the Texans don't envision him going anywhere soon.

DD could be a monster if he gets better blocking. I just have a feeling about it.

The only people I feel that are indispensable right now are:
1. AJ
2. DD
3. Mathis
4. Dunta

I'm waiting to see on guys like Travis Johnson and Babin. They are first round picks, so I'm really hoping that they develop.

I wouldn't make too many cuts of our skill players on offense until we see what they can do behind a real offensive line. Well, except for Bradford, who I think we can safely cut.

No way do i want to see buchanon here for another season. If he does not know how to tackle already, it's just too late.

cadahnic said:
I agree pretty much with what you are saying, eventhough you may take some heat for including Carr. I do think we can land a good FA but not likely a blockbuster kind of guy. We may be able to grab a guy like Lecharles Bentley or Andre Davis if they shake free.
We could have had Andra Davis (MLB), in free agency last year for a lot less than Greenwood... from what I saw in the Cleaveland game, that guy was a beast against the run..:brickwall
add another one to the list...

profan said:
No way do i want to see buchanon here for another season. If he does not know how to tackle already, it's just too late.
He had a couple of games, Cleaveland, Cinncinati and a few others where he threw his body around and made some big hits, he even had a tackle for loss on MacGahee against Buffalo, it seems to me that he can tackle, he just has to WANT to tackle... if someone can get it in his head that if he dosnt tackle hard, he dosnt play, he might start...

id replace Armstrong with Gaffney. I love armstrong but Gaffney is a better WR.

I would also include Pitts, Hodgdon, and Norris on offense.

On defense.. I would remove Sanders and replace him with Faggins. Robinson, Faggins, and Buchanan are a good trio for CB.. that takes care of our #1, and our #3 and #4.. now we just need a #2.

I would also include Babin on the list. No he hasnt wowed anyone this year.. but there is still plenty of room, and time, for improvement.

other than that.. I can agree with pretty much everything you said.

oh ..and people continue to dog on DD.. but he continues to perform every week.

Will it take a superbowl victory for you to just accept that DD is our guy?

Grid said:

that, unfortunatly, will prove nothing to these blind fools.

profan said:

Have you not watched the games since his benching? He has been our third best defensive player behind walker and daunta. He is quick and has more value than just CB. He is young and has very fluid hips.

my list:

Offense:

Carr
Davis
Wells
Noris
AJ
Mathis
Armstrong
Gaffeny
Hodgen
Pitts

Defense:
Walker
TJ
Payne
Wong
Babin
Polk
Daunta
Buchanon
Earl
Peek

Players I left off, that some might feel deserve to be kept:
R. Smith- underacheiver since he arrived, has not played to his potential.
M. Greenwood- Career underachiever, is not meant to be a 3-4 ILB
Fageins- Our second worst player in the secondary, only behind...
M. Colemen- Old, slow, bad run support and weak hitter. has lost his heart.
T. Wade- A hefty hit on our cap, but has yet to prove why
J. Simmons- Good value for his draft spot, but not a very good player in the league.
K. Brown- Very inconsistent, average leg strength at best.

I have probally missed some names seeing as it is late.

I agree that Buchanan is better, but he is the worst tackler I have ever seen. They need to lock him in a room with a tackling dummie or something.

YoungTexanFan said:
Have you not watched the games since his benching? He has been our third best defensive player behind walker and daunta. He is quick and has more value than just CB. He is young and has very fluid hips.

I pretty much agree with you on everything but P Buch, because I just dont think he will ever be able to hang with a good WR. IMO he does not have any FIGHT.

TexHorns said:
I pretty much agree with you on everything but P Buch, because I just dont think he will ever be able to hang with a good WR. IMO he does not have any FIGHT.

he lacks in heart, but you have not seen what he can do yet, so dont pass final judgment so quickly. When was the last time you saw a CB play well in a passive 3-4 cover two? Hell, when was the last time you saw a passive 3-4 cover 2?

Grid said:

When he's able to play 16 weeks, Casserly is a moron for signing him to the deal when he has yet to make it through a season healthy.

He flat out doesn't perform every week, its a crapshoot if he'll play week to week, and performing does include blocking from time to time.

Frills said:
When he's able to play 16 weeks, Casserly is a moron for signing him to the deal when he has yet to make it through a season healthy.

He flat out doesn't perform every week, its a crapshoot if he'll play week to week, and performing does include blocking from time to time.

so your gonig to ask bush i assume to block better? bush who is graciously listed at 200? bush who isnt big enough to run between tackles?

just start running son...

White from USC is a better NFL back IMHO.

Watching Bush, when someone hits him he goes down, we need a good power back ala "The Bus" Bush is overrated, he's good in college, but in the pros he won't last.

We need to get to basics in our drafts, stop trading all the damn picks trying to hit the home run, and pick useful players.

Frills said:
White from USC is a better NFL back IMHO.

Watching Bush, when someone hits him he goes down, we need a good power back ala "The Bus" Bush is overrated, he's good in college, but in the pros he won't last.

We need to get to basics in our drafts, stop trading all the damn picks trying to hit the home run, and pick useful players.

this is a very valid argument, and to think i had lost respect for you. white will be the better pro, but should not come out this year if he is smart.

DD makes plays. Is he a "complete back" capable of running it breaking for 90 yards, powering for a half yard TD, catching it out of the backfield, blocking like a tackle, and making curly fries in under 5 minutes.... no. But no back in the NFL is capable of doing everything perfectly.

DD and Wells are a talented duo that could keep us going for years.

And all it would take for DD to last a whole 16 games is a coaching staff that understands the concept of "split carries"

Grid said:
DD makes plays. Is he a "complete back" capable of running it breaking for 90 yards, powering for a half yard TD, catching it out of the backfield, blocking like a tackle, and making curly fries in under 5 minutes.... no. But no back in the NFL is capable of doing everything perfectly.

DD and Wells are a talented duo that could keep us going for years.

And all it would take for DD to last a whole 16 games is a coaching staff that understands the concept of "split carries"

that would be to easy, we wouldnt want to actually USE our draft picks...

Frills said:

There aren't that many backs who play all 16 games ina season, and there are NO backs that account for as much of their team's offense as DD does. So maybe if we mixed in Wells and/or Morency a bit more, DD would a.) make it through a 16-game season intact, and b.) be even more productive with each touch.

eriadoc said:
There aren't that many backs who play all 16 games ina season, and there are NO backs that account for as much of their team's offense as DD does. So maybe if we mixed in Wells and/or Morency a bit more, DD would a.) make it through a 16-game season intact, and b.) be even more productive with each touch.

Another excellent post from eriadoc. Seems like we have a few football-intelligent people on the board.

If the Texans had a TE that could be a threat recieving down the middle of the field, DD wouldn't be as huge a factor as he is now.

This year DD has 26 receptions, accounting for 17.1% of the total
The TE position has 9, for 5.9% of the total

Now the Texans started phasing out the TE position last year, so lets look at 2003.
Davis catches = 47 equaling 19% for 351 yds
TE catches = 48 equaling 19.35% for 439 yds

The Texans have completely nuked the TE position, teams don't fear anything down the middle. Davis' long reception and YAC Sunday was due to a vacant middle that we actually took advantage of for a change.

All the DD hype is partly due to the mindset that we need a TE in to block which changes coverages in the middle.

Since our TE's don't run routes, why not start Wand at TE?

Vinny said:
They are in patterns...they just aren't the first read or the dump pass to the back.

They are usually chip-and-release, IIRC, and they don't seem to catch the ball very well when it is thrown to them. A multi-purpose TE would definitely help this team quite a bit.

Back