The Chronic's Lopez: Young QB makes sense for Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Sportsfan, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

Good article here by John Lopez of the Chronic.

Dec. 19, 2006, 12:32AM
    Young QB makes sense for Texans

By JOHN P. LOPEZ
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The three biggest joke expansion teams in the history of the NFL have been the New Orleans Saints, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Texans.

And of those three, the numbers say the Texans are bringing up the rear in futility, having won just 27.5 percent of their games in their first five years of existence, compared to 28.5 by the Saints over the same span and 28.9 by the Bucs.

That's how bad things have become. That's how far this organization still has to go.

Those are formidable numbers. They tell you this club must start over, building again from the beginning, acting as if the first five years didn't even happen.

Five years of mistakes might be impossible to erase, and football fans have long memories. But if you acknowledge that David Carr's career in Houston is all but done — and who doesn't at this point? — then why take on more potential dead weight?

Rest of article: Lopez: Young QB makes sense for Texans

2. shinerbock_girl

shinerbock_girl Hall of Fame

Yeah and he forgot to mention in 4 of those years, we had Capers who should have been long gone after the second year...Just my opinion...Only part i really agree with is that the Texans are starting from the beginning as if the previous 5 years never existed...

3. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

What strikes me is that these guys talk about Carr being gone is a question of "when" instead of "if."

From the article:

4. real

real Guest

David Carr will retire a Texan.

5. QB75

QB75 Veteran

I hope that his career lasts 10 to 15 years and that you are right!

6. real

real Guest

Then he'll come back and be our QB coach for 30 yrs.....

Yeah.....I'd really like that too......:fib

7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Hey where are drinking at ... I'll meet you .

I know your just playing .

8. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

There is zero chance Carr remains here. If they keep Carr the stands will be empty.

9. real

real Guest

thats not an issue....apparently the seats are sold out for the next 10,000 years any way....:secret:

10. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

That's what I'm thinking. Easier to mold a new player than get rid of the bad habits of a veteran.

That's just crazy. Understandable about our O-line being depleted throughout the season (which would be interesting to compare when they started dropping to Carr's abilities went down) but as noted in numerous other threads, that's part of the NFL and all teams go through it, every year. Some teams obviously, have more on IR than others depending on the year. But my point is, if Carr continued here and we continue to have a depleted oline as the year progresses each season, are the fans / team going to be okay having a QB that relies on having all starting "parts" available to succeed or would you like to see a QB (Carr or otherwise) step up when players are out and make adjustments to still succeed?

11. old football fan

old football fan Veteran

But the Texans starting OL is way below avg. for the league, so what does that tell you about there replacements!

12. real

real Guest

Our back-ups aren't even way below average...

13. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

I have a feeling Carr will be traded to the Raiders. They need a QB bad and I don't think they will draft Quinn. DC is from Northern Cal and will be heading home after the season. I think we'll get a 3rd rounder for him.

14. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

yeah i find that odd too

15. Boris

Boris All Pro

i have 2 words

matt cassell NE Pats

what are our chances of landing him?

16. New_Texans

New_Texans All Pro

Dude shut up, if the Texans have a stellar defense and a Adrian Peterson (or someone else whos really good) in the backfield the fans will come. I think Carr has issues however he isnt the only reason the Texans lose games. Give Carr a good running back and he'll be a poor mans Elway.

I really dont think the texans need to start a rookie QB next year guys. He'll just end up like David, and please be honest with yourself. You know as well as I do that there arent any Vince Youngs in the draft at QB so chill. There are some good running backs however.

Houston Fans "The worst in the country"

17. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I think we need to prepare ourselves for Carr's return in 2007. I have a feeling that they're going to keep trottin' him out there with the hopes that line upgrades and a running game will *magically* make him a better QB who can read defenses and lead his receivers.

He could be gone the day the season ends, but I have to mentally prepare myself that he's going to be here until we learn otherwise.

18. Honch Delgado

Honch Delgado Veteran

Agree with most of the article except trading up for Brady Quinn. This draft class looks like your standard run of the mill QB class and Quinn isn't as good as the 3 that were taken this year. Draft a QB in the later rounds. For every Peyton and Carson there are half a dozen Harringtons, Bollers, Carrs, and such.

19. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Lopez is so FOS, it be a miracle if he doesn't have brown eyes.

If this lamed-brained organization even thinks about trading up for, much less even just drafting a QB on the first day, whether Carr is here or not, after NOT getting you-know-who in the last draft, I'd actually help the UT fans burn Reliant Stadium to the ground.

20. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

As a group, yes. However, there are some bright spots (last year's FA and drafts) and some "possibles". But with another draft and FA coming up - take the best of the best out of that group, the rest become backups and either Carr or another vet start next year at QB while our drafted QB watched from the sidelines. Don't kill the young, future QB like we did 5 years ago.

Maybe I'm going the utopian, casual fan route?