The Case For Mario Williams

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by JDizzle, Apr 26, 2006.

1. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

I was trying to come up with my own post, but oh well, this guy apparently did the work for me.

From Michael Smith at espn.com : Good DEs have more long-term impact than RBs

2. champ1234

champ1234 Rookie

I wonder if the author knows that Shaq won only three championships, where Jordan won 6. Not the best analogy in support of selecting a defensive stud. Other than that, good article.

3. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

I think a in football terms Mario Williams makes a lot of since, especially with the Colts in our division. However, you have to wonder if the team is trying to fix the offense while allowing the defense to improve. I would tend to focur 2/3rds of this draft on offense, and a 1/3rd to build depth at the CB, DE, and MLB positions.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Good article, and he makes a solid case.

I do have to wonder how much more Bush can do in the NFL, because defenses have ways of equalizing even the great players. I can envision crazy highlights with him, and awesome plays that make you explode from your seat as a fan.

But...watching a D-lineman sack a QB is a work of art, and maybe more satisfying than almost anything else in football. There is something about seeing your guy just take the head off the enemy's leader and driving him to the ground. We've been on the receiving end of that scenario for far too long, and haven't seen a lot of it going our way on defense.

I'll cheer for whoever they pick...hey, he's a Texan. But I have to admit that this is one of the toughest drafts I've ever seen with a home team. So many great choices, so much potential, so much is riding on the decision.

Defense does win championships, tho'...glad I don't have to make this decision!

5. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Defense wins championships. We aren't a contender for it all next year. We have strived to improve our offense this offseason. Add Bush & it will be a freaky offense. Go all out Defense in next years draft/free agency.

6. Dolby

Dolby Rookie

Bush & Young are very talented but Mario Williams is the key necessary to balance the Texans. My plan would be to have a well balanced team and Williams would be the most favorable single pick. No matter who you get, the Texans better spend the remaining picks on the offensive line.

--
    Dolby of Cypress
    It all gets better from here - DoC

7. Bongo59

Bongo59 Veteran

on my board i am known as the anti Mario guy...............i have publically said he has the highest bust potential out there....................think about these facts........................

Why was Manny Lawson picked as the teams defensive MVP??
    not a media but done via a player vote
    Why was Mario in 4th place among ACC coaches for defensive MVP?? (behind Sims and Bunkley of FSU and VT Tapp).

Why zero sacks in first seven games??
    McCargo and Lawson projected to go top 40 were his DL mates)

Sure there are his excuses...............but those alone would give me pause.

8. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

My case for Mario is: he was a running back in high school. He'll make Vrabel and Perry look like chumps on the goal line.

Seriously though, my case for Williams is that he's the best player available not named Young or Bush. Yes, Bush is a freak, but I am of the opinion that running backs have become commoditized, and they shouldn't be paid luxury premiums (especially when a team already possesses a very good and well paid player at that position along with a capable backup).

Now, more than ever, it has become evident that running back success in the NFL is equal parts system, fit, and talent. Due to the importance of depth and the common injuries at the position, I don't think #1 pick money is ever wise for this position. A proven superstar like LT or Alexander don't even command that type of paper. I genuinely appreciate what Denver has done; handpick players that fit the system and ride those horses until they go lame or want big money.

While staying on Denver philosophies and bringing this argument back around to Mario, it should be pointed out that their recent success in large part resulted from solidifying the D-Line. Furthermore, the same versatility that many tout Bush would bring to the offense, Mario would bring to the defense;dropping into coverage, moving to strongside on passing downs, moving inside when/if necessary.

The personnel and coaching moves made in the offense this season should be sufficient for Carr to make the requisite progress; Bush would be a luxury. The same cannot be said for the defense, which is sorely lacking in many areas and facets. Williams should instantly improve our pass and rush defense, taking pressure off a weak secondary and average linebacking corps.

9. Dolby

Dolby Rookie

Many good opinions that make one think my friends.

The only thing I have to base my opinion on is seeing 1st hand the results of a well balanced team over one with a few mustangs. From High School to the Professional level, the glitter typically does not win the championship as the last time I looked, it was a team effort.

Get the offensive line in place, shore up your defense and you have a great team.

----

Dolby of Cypress
    It all gets better from here - DoC