The case against Cowher coming to Houston

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Brisco_County, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Let's first acknowledge the fact that any unemployed coach right now would have Houston at the top of their list. The reasons include an owner who doesn't meddle and passionate fans who fill the stadium.

But past that, Cowher is not a good fit. His philosophy does not match the current schemes. There would be at least one or two rebuilding years before he would have the team he wants.

On defense, I can't tell if he would keep Frank Bush or not. Bush's experience in coaching every position would always be of use, but Cowher would change the defense to a 3-4. In that scenario, he might use Barwin and Cushing as OLB's with Ryans and Diles in the middle. Okoye would be traded and we'd draft a huge NT. Mario and Smith of course would stay on the line.

On offense, he'd reduce the ZBS to only a few plays and introduce power running. This means another year of rebuilding. We'd definitely get a big center and a guard in the draft. I have no idea how Schaub would adapt.

Ultimately, there would be no way to avoid at least one rebuilding year. That is unless Cowher is fine with keeping what is in place, but that's highly doubtful. In my opinion, Mike Shanahan is the only coach that would keep things intact the way they are.

2. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

We wouldn't need to trade Okoye, I don't think. Casey Hampton said in an article that he wouldn't mind playing for his hometown team if Cowher is the coach. He is a FA this offseason... He'd be our NT. Okoye could come in and out, or maybe Mario plays some OLB and he come in as an end.

3. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Mike Shanahan is the only coach that would keep things intact the way they are

Thats why he should be our coach

4. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

Just say no to Mike Shanahan. Please.

5. Pollardized

Pollardized Division Champ

What if it did take another year for Cowher to get the team the way he wanted it? I would welcome the change in philosophy. A power running game that can control the game and manage the clock. That isa huge minus for us right now, so Matt Schaub tends to throw bone headed momentum killing picks. I am not a fan of the ZBS any longer. I think it's time to ditch and get a normal power running game, with an aggresive defense and a coach who isn't afraid to score once a lead has been established.

6. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

Then why fire Kubiak? Is a new head coach better if he changes nothing? I would take Cowher in a heartbeat and there's no way it takes two years to "rebuild." I don't know exactly what Cowher would do with personnel but if it took two years he might as well stay put analyzing games. Just my take.

7. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

That isn't necessarily true. What if the Texans were able to convince Tony Dungy to come out of retirement? He might keep the Offense basically the same since his specialty has always been Defense, also his Defense is a variation of the 4-3 so the change there would be minimal.

8. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Fixed it for you.

MannyFresh likes this.

9. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

Okyoe could still be used in a 4-3 look

10. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Not wanting a 3/4 defense isnt a good reason for not hiring a new coach. Teams with less talent than us have switched and been succesfull the first year. Here are some examples.

4 out of the top five defenses right now are 3/4 and 2 out of those 4 just switched this year. Denver (#5) and Green Bay (#1). Guess who the other 3/4 top defenses are. Pittsburg (#3), who runs the exact sytem we are talking about here and the Jets (#2) who just switched last year.

If you look at Green Bay and Denvers defensive depth chart at the beginning of this year. (before the draft and free agency) I bet we have fairly equal talent if not better than any of them. It can be done and done quickly.

If you are worried about the offense it can be done fast too. The only thing its really lacking is some Guards that can power block. Some of the top Guards in last years draft lasted into the 5th and 6th round. This team could be transformed from Denver South to Pittsburgh South really fast.

11. phantom17

phantom17 All Pro

I vote for COWHER because I think he has a better chance in taking this poor excuse of a team & molding it into a VERY GOOD team. He has a proven track record! Plus I like his smashmouth style football, just say NO to finesse! Football is all about power & aggression, take no prisoner sport!!!! Let the CHIN begin!!!:whip:

12. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

Regardless of whether we're talking about Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren, or Marty Schottenheimer, I think this serves as a prime teaching example in exercising just a little more patience.

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Cowher wouldn't be a good fit? humorus.

What can you get in a trade for 0k0ye? probably 0, that's what.

Personally, I don't think Cowher is coming here - for the record. McNair is gonna David Carr this one all the way.

Double Barrel likes this.
  14. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Not even the same thing.

15. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

Please Man Upstairs, no Marty Schottenheimer or Mike Shanahan.

16. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

With our current personnel we might be even better off with a 3-4 defense provided we can get a legit NT like Hampton. Hell, we need a legit NT either way, at least with the 3-4 we can add 4 LBers on the field instead of 2 DTs. Our best players would be on the field in the front 7 and with Barwin, Cushing, and occasionally standing up Mario we'd have great pass rush potential from the edges.

Antonio Smith managed to do well enough in Arizona to convince us to sign him as a part-time 3-4 end. Mario is certainly strong enough to hold the POA as a 3-4 end. We still need to upgrade the secondary but that goes without saying regardless of the 3-4.

Moving to the power-running scheme would force us to find players on the OL who can get a push in short yardage situations instead of us watching the same offense stall out in the redzone with the current personnel on the OL. Caldwell should already fit the mold, add 2 a legit starting center and an insurance policy in case Pitts cant come back as a quality guard then we're even better off on the OL.

Schaub would be fine playing behind an OL that he can trust will not collapse in the middle every time he drops back to pass. Maybe then he'd step up in the pocket and reduce the chance of getting stripped late in the 4th quarter the next time we play the Colts? Our redzone offense would improve, with AJ/JJ/maybe KW if he resigns at WR and OD returning at TE we've got the targets to still move the ball between the 20s. Add a power back behind a stronger interior OL and we start getting tds instead of fgs.

Considering how quick brand new HCs have completely turned around teams inside of one season its laughable to even consider that we'd be MORE LIKELY to have a 1 year rebuilding period WITH a proven HC!!!

JWarren14 likes this.
  17. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Well, I'd be fine with Cowher but I don't think he's coming here either. I just think that's a bit too pie-in-the-sky perfect for us to actually happen. I don't see how McNair could possibly not screw that up.

When I think of the Texans actually hiring someone like Cowher I picture them taking a step toward actually changing the personality of the franchise. Bob McNair is the owner and all things flow from the top in the NFL but in many ways he's very much like the Rooney family in what he wants. He doesn't have the knowledge or experience to take his team where he wants to go so he's dependent on others at this stage of the game (and maybe for his entire life as an NFL owner). Bill Cowher comes from the kind of place that Bob McNair is thinking of. He's a product of that environment.

I really think we are looking for someone to imprint a different personality on this organization. I can't think of anyone available and possibly interested who I'd rather have doing that than Cowher.

18. MannyFresh

MannyFresh El Capitan

LOL...rep

19. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Well rebuilding with Cower at least would have a good chance to result in a playoff team.

When you hire someone like that, you have trust that they will turn things around.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I second this .... Dont want either. I'd rather go thru another year of Kubiak and Co than have either of them.

Its pretty obvious to me that the coaches have put the players in a position to win - how many of the games they lost have the been in position to win or tie on the final possession ? All but the first against the Jets and the last against the Dolts. I think more of this falls on the players than on the coaches. They have been put in position to succeed and just havent gotten it done.

With a few breaks , Snoopy could coach this team and look like a genius next season.