The Bucs Game Will Again be Blacked Out Locally

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Nov 12, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Fans always seem to get hosed one way or another. Many forced to unwillingly pay for a product on the front end and ultimately taking it in the back end. Force the owners and the NFL and the NFLPA take it out of their pockets.....and have all the games televised.............now THAT'S called INCENTIVE!

2. PsychoLove

PsychoLove Church Of FSM

NFL Blackouts are the stupidest thing. Kids that are poor growing will watch games and become fans of teams. When they get older, they will buy season tickets. Win/Win.

BTW, that was me I was talking about.

3. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

If the team plays in a tax payer funded stadium, ya, I can see the point but if it's completely privatly owned, no way. Those that are sports fans and have the means...support your team before they end up in some god forsaken land where the man with one tooth is king.

4. CloakNNNdagger

There is NO NFL stadium that is not in part significantly publicly subsidized.

Cowboys Stadium cost $1.15 billion. It opened in 2009 with about 30 percent of it publicly financed.

Here are examples of the other stadiums.LINK

Keep in mind that Public subsidies for stadiums go directly into the pockets of team owners and players by increasing profits, player salaries and raising the re-sale value of the teams.

5. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Was not aware of that, in that case, I would say whatever ratio is tax payer funded then that percentage should count toward lifting any blackouts. For example, if a stadium holds 70,000 and is funded 30 percent by taxpayers, then only 49,000 tickets need to be sold to lift a local blackout. That's fair to everyone, IMO.

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I wouldn't have a problem if the Teams were doing what ever it is that needs to be done to fill the stadium.

Reduce ticket prices until they come.

Give away iPads, iPhones, Ford Pick-ups...... whatever.

Win football games.

If they still can't get fans into the stadium, then they can black it out.

7. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

The problem in Tampa is the local bad economy coupled with one of the highest ticket prices in the NFL.

The unemployment rate in the Tampa area is amongst the highest in the nation. Fans simply can't afford over $100 a ticket for "cheap" seats and the outrageous concession prices.

The Bucs were always sold out until the economy went to pot. What is a shame is that the stadium is funded by the public and the Glaziers are in there rent free.

Ever since they took over Manchester United they started neglecting the Bucs however have continued to jack up the prices of everything probably to help fund the outrageous salaries they are playing their Man U players.

IMO, owners should not be allowed to own more than one sports franchise. One is always going to get neglected. Man U is their "new toy" and the Bucs are an afterthought to them.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Kinda hard to pay those salaries when they aren't selling those tickets. Anyone with a business degree would tell you that lowering the ticket prices would help generate more income (if what you say is true).

Get more people into the stadium, sell them beer, peanuts, jersey's caps, programs, get them in front of some business partners (Reliant Energy for example)...

Not doing anybody any good pricing the fans out of the stadium.

9. CloakNNNdagger

The Petition is quite explanatory.

The LINK goes into more depth and also reviews the history of these absurd rules.

10. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Agreed. Though the Bucs are one of the most profitable teams in the league due to their stadium situation (not paying a lease).

You might remember that the Bucs almost became the new Cleveland Browns. Right after the real Browns left the Bucs were threatening to leave Tampa and go become the new Cleveland Browns if they didn't get a new stadium deal. The city bent over backwards and gave them the sweet deal that they have today which resulted in Raymond James. So you can't say the Tampa area doesn't support the team. Right now it is just a matter of economics like "do I pay the mortgage or go to an overpriced Bucs game?".

The other issue is how do you create and grow a new generation of fans if your team in not on TV locally. Kids in the Tampa area are going to grow up Packers and Patriots fans if they don't do something about this.

11. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Why is this only in the NFL? I mean, every single Astros game was on tv this season playing to half empty stadiums. The Rockets (when they used to play), NBA, NHL, every league shows home games in the home market, sellout or not.

I've never ever understood this rule in the NFL. Ever.
    It's the 21st century, time to end this archaic rule.

12. CloakNNNdagger

MBL Blackout Policy is different than NFL.......but just as nonsensical.

The NBA's policy is simple. The NBA and the WNBA used to black out nationally televised games on cable TV within 35 miles of the home team's market; however, these are now restricted to games on NBA TV.

13. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

No kidding there. MLB.com would black me out in Austin if I had no TV watch the games. Also, when the blue moon rises and Hell freezes over the Astros play on ESPN....I can't watch those either. They're trying to get my ticket sold from 165 miles away and there are far more ridiculous stories out there concerning the MLB blackout rules.

14. SuperSerial

SuperSerial Rookie

omg I remember occasional blackouts during the Oiler days. And that was back before the internet and other means of seeing games.