The Bowl next year?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Sonny, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

That's still better than 1-3. What is it you're arguing exactly?

2. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Oh so now the other 11 guys on the team matter.....sure as hell don't matter when it comes to BoB around here.

Once Smith was healthy & got some stability with coaching in Harbaugh, he immediately posted the best seasons of his career & led the 49ers to the NFC championship game. Went 6-2-1 the next year before getting injured again & eventually losing out to Kaep the SB year.

Vick even after a 2 year layoff was still as talented as any qb that had come out in the last 10 years. If you compare his numbers from his last year in ATL to his 2nd year in philly, there's barely a statistical difference in improvement; That slight improvement could just as easily be explained away to him playing with more talent as it can Reid's coaching.

Furthermore none of that takes away from the fact that both guys were #1 overall picks.

3. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Anything to win a debate around here...Yes...yes 50% is better than 33%....IOW's ..."I'll take the **** sandwich with cheese rather than the plain **** sandwich please"...:dontknowa.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  4. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Couldn't give a pink rat's ass about winning an argument on a damn message board. I'm just fascinated with the way people defend a mediocre coach with the fervor they do.

76Texan likes this.
  5. KA4Texan

KA4Texan Clueless Wonder

[​IMG]

Mr teX, disaacks3 and Mangler like this.
  6. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

From what I understand, soccer fans from around the world were mesmerized with this year's Super Bowl.

7. Sonny

Sonny TexSon Proud

For the field goals.. or lack thereof of/misses resulting in job openings for their particular prowess?

8. maverick512000

maverick512000 Veteran

Assuming you are talking about his time at KC, which is what this conversation is about, you're half right. Reid was in the conference game his third season but other than that he has been one and done until this year. Not sure where he ever took KC to the SB though.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ReidAn0.htm

Edit: Actually looking at it again I don't think he did make the conference game his third season. Looks like he came up one game short.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  9. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Im comparing Reid to OB. I'm comparing his 1st HC gig to OBs 1st HC gig. Say what you want about Reid and his time at KC, he at least has a track record of success. 4 conference title games and a SB appearance starting in his 3rd season, through his 6th. OB, not so much. OB will starting his 6th season and has yet to advance past the 2nd round, and only made it that far one time beating a 3rd string rookie taking his first ever NFL snaps, that hasn't taken a single one since.

You want to take an abitrary starting point to make a comparison, that's your prerogative, but it doesn't change the fact that Reid has had much more success than OB.

Hell, from '11-'15 Mike Tomlin is 1-3 in the playoffs. You going to tell me he and OB are the same?

76Texan, CWTexansFan, TheKDog and 2 others like this.
  10. maverick512000

maverick512000 Veteran

First its not an arbitrary starting point, we were discussing Reid in KC so I was comparing his time in KC to BoB time in Houston as far as playoffs go. Fine Reid had success in Philly, great, doesn't change the fact that he hasn't had it here. Kubiak didn't have much success here and went to Denver and won a SB, Belichick didn't do much for the Browns but when he got to NE look out NFL your new king has arrived. I judge coaches based on their last/current gig and based on that win/lose in the playoffs Reid and BoB are the same. Go ask KC if they care how much Reid won in Philly, didn't deliver anything to their city.

You can spin it anyway you want but the numbers don't lie.

CWTexansFan likes this.

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

And yet...

maverick512000 likes this.
  12. maverick512000

maverick512000 Veteran

Yeah I know.

13. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

The only spinning being done is by you. Like I said, I can pick a random set of seasons for damn near anybody to make it look good for OB. The Tomlin example I mentioned for one.

Ooh, let me pick a coach who's had a mediocre stretch somewhere in his career to show you how good we have it with OB. Really? Spin job if there ever was one.

You want to compare a 5 year HC who has accomplished very little to, YES, an arbitrary starting point of any coach to make OB look better to you, then I can't help you there.

76Texan likes this.
  14. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Can we find a stretch of 5 years in a row where offensive coaches led bottom 10 offenses and kept their jobs?

15. maverick512000

maverick512000 Veteran

See this is what I'm talking about with people painting anyone that doesn't tow the line with their way of thinking as either a supporter or hater. Let me make this clear I don't care one hoot if Bill O'Brien was fired tomorrow. I don't think I actually like him as a head coach but I'm not going to let that get in the way of facts.

Fact: The whole damn part of the conversation about Reid has been about his time with the Chiefs. Nothing was mentioned about his time with Philly until you wanted to bring it up to fit your narrative. In regard to his time with the Chiefs, you know his current job, it has been no better than O'Brien until this year.

Fact: Discussing a HCs entire time with a franchise is not an arbitrary starting point nor is it picking "random" set of seasons, by the way the phrase you want is cherry picking seasons not random seasons. If I had said "Well in 13, 16 and 17 Reid was one and done." then that would be spinning it or cherry picking seasons. I'm not, I'm looking at his entire time as a HC with the KC chiefs.

Lot of you piss on Steelb for always defending O'Brien and blaming Smith but some of you guys are just as bad with the blame O'Brien for everything. :potkettle:

Why don't you try stepping out of your bubble and looking at the whole picture objectively. I know, looking at it from somebody else's point of view, its almost like having an adult conversation.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  16. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

KC offensive rank by dvoa under Reid:

2013: 15th
    2014: 12th
    2015: 6th
    2016: 13th
    2017: 4th
    2018: 1st

Now OBrien:

2014: 21st
    2015: 24th
    2016: 30th
    2017: 24th
    2018: 21st

76Texan likes this.
  17. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

I don't believe I defended OB in any way, shape or form, but feel free to quote the post where I did.

All I was saying is that people love to talk about Reid's offenses when shitting all over OB, but in the end he hasn't seen success in the playoffs in a long, long time. I don't understand why he is seen as such an amazing coach today. Because of something he did 15 years ago with a different team? I don't care if you win 9 games ugly every year or 11-12 games pretty every year. If you are one-and-done in the playoffs, you are one-and-done in the playoffs.

If you interpret that as a defense or endorsement of OB, then I gotta let you own your bias and move on.

FuzzyLogic and maverick512000 like this.
  18. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

I don't blame OB for everything. I look at the results of what's he's done for 5 years, because that's all I've got to go on, and judge him based on that. I certainly don't cherry pick stats of successful coaches to make him look like more than he is.

5 years!! If you see something I don't I'd really like to know what it is. Trying to make it like he's comparable to someone like Andy Reid is just someone twisting things to make it fit an argument. You use the word FACT several times in the diatribe I quoted. Funny how you seem to ignore OBs 5 years of facts.

76Texan and TheKDog like this.
  19. maverick512000

maverick512000 Veteran

See and that's what I'm talking about, I've never said I consider BoB to be a successful coach. I give him credit where I feel he deserves it but I've done the same for presidents that I didn't like either. Also I compare him to Reid because all season people have been talking about how much of a genius Ried is and I was pointing out that since he got to KC he has not had any more success than BoB did.

Go check out the KC message boards from last year, they were calling for his head just like people are here for BoB and even worse because he had Smith as a QB. It's only after this season that he is a KC hero.

Yeah Reid had success with Philly, so what, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" group. Ask Philly which they liked more, Reid taking them to the SB or them winning the bowl last year. Willing to bet they'll take winning every time.

Again I don't "see something" other that, for whatever reason, we turned 0-3 to 11-5. I do give him credit for that yes. Also I know that being pissed he is the coach and beating that dead horse is not going to change anything.

Its Cal's world we just pay to watch it. So since I know he is going to be here, yeah I also look at the silver lining and try to see the good with the bad. I find it saves me a lot of stress not being negative all the time about something I watch for entertainment.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  20. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

And you talk about Reid's time in KC, wasn't he just in the AFC title game? Yeah, wake me up when OB makes one.

76Texan likes this.