Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The big 10

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Picking at 42 tomorrow evening we should see 9 more of the best available come off the board before we get our first pick of 2024 with the 42nd overall. Obviously this is barring Trader Nick making any manner of move before hand to see us move up, down, or sideways.

That said - and fully assuming we don't move off of 42 and ultimately make our pick there - if you could put together a 10-man shortlist at this point that would guarantee one of those dudes become THE dude for this draft.. who would they be at this point?

I'll start..

DT Jer'Zhan Newton
DB Cooper DeJean
DT Braden Fiske
CB Kamari Lassiter
CB Ennis Rakestraw
S Javon Bullard
CB Kool-Aid McKinstry
CB TJ Tampa
S Tyler Nubin
DT Maason Smith

Soooo.. what 10 do ya got that gets us 1 of them for sure?

My list would include some offensive players as well

DT Jer'Zhan Newton
DB Cooper DeJean
CB Kool-Aid McKinstry
WR Adonai Mitchell
WR Keon Coleman
LB Edgerrin Cooper
LB Peyton Wilson
WR Ladd McConkey
S Tyler Nubin
DT Braden Fiske

My list would include some offensive players as well

DT Jer'Zhan Newton
DB Cooper DeJean
CB Kool-Aid McKinstry
WR Adonai Mitchell
WR Keon Coleman
LB Edgerrin Cooper
LB Peyton Wilson
WR Ladd McConkey
S Tyler Nubin
DT Braden Fiske
I dunno should we even have DeJean & Wilson on our Board because of their injury histories ?
Wilson is very temping who is an off-ball LB but with the size and speed to almost be able to double as an edge-rusher.
DeJean is also very athletic and a versatile CB/Safety I like but who also has serious durability concerns.
I have no idea how Nick & Demeco feel about these two prospects, but all I can say it's a lot more interesting now with the Texans having some "live ammo" for tonight's proceedings !

I dunno should we even have DeJean & Wilson on our Board because of their injury histories ?
Wilson is very temping who is an off-ball LB but with the size and speed to almost be able to double as an edge-rusher.
DeJean is also very athletic and a versatile CB/Safety I like but who also has serious durability concerns.
I have no idea how Nick & Demeco feel about these two prospects, but all I can say it's a lot more interesting now with the Texans having some "live ammo" for tonight's proceedings !

Re Dejean:

The Weber C fractures are the worst because they correlate to more instability, such as syndesmosis (high ankle ligaments), but generally have good results after surgery (3). Based on his high performance during combine drills, DeJean carries a low-medium risk. It should not be understated though; this injury would show up as a major crash in a Carfax report.

Maybe @CloakNNNdagger has more input.

Re Dejean:

From that article, the statement that surprised me the most was this one:

For the Bills’ staff, which ranked 29th in the league in the most recent NFLPA study for Nutrition/Dietician.

I didn't know they ranked that metric and I'm intrigued in how they do that.

I wouldn't be surprised if McConkey is still available at 42. His injury past should be a major concern.

From that article, the statement that surprised me the most was this one:

For the Bills’ staff, which ranked 29th in the league in the most recent NFLPA study for Nutrition/Dietician.

I didn't know they ranked that metric and I'm intrigued in how they do that.

I wouldn't be surprised if McConkey is still available at 42. His injury past should be a major concern.

Interesting. I'd be curious to know how they rank that as well.

Just FYI for anyone that wants to do a mock to see different scenarios, PFN updates their mock draft simulator in real time so if you do a mock draft right now the picks will play out as they have in real life so you can kind of see different ways things could play out.

Out of the players already listed, my favorite nine for the Texans (based only on defense) are:
1) Kool-Aid
2) Newton
3) Fiske

My next three (this is where it gets a bit muddy) are:
4) DeJean
5) Rakestraw
6) Nubin

Last three:
7) Lassiter
8) Tampa
9) Maason Smith

I would be tempted by McConkey if he were to fall.

Top 4

Newton
Dejean
Cooper
P.Wilson

Next 3

McConkey
Hall Jr
Nubin

Next 3

Koolaid
Coulson
Jenkins

Trade up down all around even using next yrs picks if needed for and try to get at least 2 and and ideally 3 of these guys. These guys are difference makers.

Last edited:
Kool-Aid McKinstry CB Alabama
Cooper DeJean CB Iowa
Kingsley Saumaala OT BYU
Braden Fiske DL Florida State
Johnny Newton DL Illinois
Jackson Powers-Johnson C Oregon
Kris Jenkins DL Michigan
Patrick Paul OT Houston
Tyler Nubin S Minnesota
TJ Tampa CB Iowa State

If I were going strictly BPA, it would be Powers-Johnson. I would love to see this powerhouse in the middle of the O-line.

Double shot of Kool Aid?
I've got him in the 3rd tier

Brain fart, edited

BTW, this exercise shows that Caserio and Ryans read the tea leaves correctly. They should be getting a great player at 2-42 if they don't move up.

BTW, this exercise shows that Caserio and Ryans read the tea leaves correctly. They should be getting a great player at 2-42 if they don't move up.
I'm good with any of the 10 players on my list. Probably another handful, if they decide to move down a bit.

Top 4

Newton
Dejean
Cooper
P.Wilson

Next 3

McConkey
Hall Jr
Nubin

Next 3

Koolaid
Coulson
Jenkins

Trade up down all around even using next yrs picks if needed for and try to get at least 2 and and ideally 3 of these guys. These guys are difference makers.
I'm hoping for Jenkins with our second pick.

Only one pure DT off the board (though Darius Robinson may be able plays some DT snaps). I would say there are as many as 6 interior DL that could go in this round.
Newton goes in the first three picks.
Jenkins is likely next to go.
Hopefully to Texans.
Fiske will be good too.

If you remove Dejean you have to remove McKinstry IMO. Peyton Wilson IIRC has no significant injury for 2 seasons.

The more I've thought about it, the more I'm heavily leaning towards DeJean.

I like Newton too (and some others), but I think the DT's in this range are pretty close in talent + Sweat will probably still be around in at least the third round. But I think if we want to go DT we can get a good one @ or around 59.

I like some of the corners still on board also, but IMO DeJean is BPA and fits a big need. He'd play a lot right away, can return kicks and having a playmaker like that roaming on the back end would be very valuable.

Re Dejean:

I've made several posts re. Latu. The article above illustrates that level of the cervical problem as low. The problem unfortunately is quite high.......which carries a much more guarded prognosis........especially long-term. Here is one of my posts re. Latu:

As far a Dejean:

The Weber C fracture is not your common fibular fracture..............it involves damage to the ankle ligaments, including the high ankle stabilizing ligaments. This can be usually addressed successfully with surgery. The problem is that studies have consistently shown that ~80% of players with this specific fracture will have sustained significant articular cartilage..................something that will commonly affect performance not only in the short-term, but increasingly so with time.

Back