The best Back-up to emerge from all of our injuries???

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by euro-Texan, Dec 14, 2007.

1. euro-Texan

euro-Texan All Pro

I'm just thinking here, that had we stayed healthy we would probably have a better record and a wildcard playoff birth. Since that didn't happen, who were the best no-names, back-ups, bench warmers, who most likely would have never seen playing time without the hardships that have struck our starters, but now might have earned a starting role next year?

2. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Will Demps and Fred Bennett.

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Von Hutchins. He stepped in at safety, then he moved to corner. He's consistently made plays. He gets my vote for most valuable non-star on the team. If he and Demps are the starting safeties next year, and Bennett and Robinson are the corners, I'll stop hyperventilating about the secondary. Unfortunately, Robinson won't be back next year at full strength.

4. euro-Texan

euro-Texan All Pro

I'm thinking during the pre-season that Davis was around 5-6 depth wise as far as making the team and now.... We better buy this guy a tractor or something.

2BCF likes this.
  5. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

It has to be Davis. He went from #5 to a tie at #2 with Walter

6. euro-Texan

euro-Texan All Pro

Don't forget his special teams play.

7. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

Don't want to derail this thread (my votes are Demps and Bennett), but based on your vote, do you think Von was giving up the "short" route to protect against getting burned by Marshall last night? Seemed that he was getting chewed up early and I was already a few beers in but did the team scheme Marshall different in the second half, or did Von change his coverage technique. Don't think he played bad at all, just an observation that I wanted to follow up on with someone that might have had a clearer head last night.

8. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Yeah forgot about Davis.

9. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Going into the season, our WR corps was a question. Our secondary was not. We all knew exactly what we had in the secondary - Robinson and a bunch of trash. Then we have injuries to Earl and Simmons, so Hutchins got his chance. The secondary just had their best game of the season, and they have been quietly doing pretty well since Faggins sat down.

I still say Hutchins, and that's not to take anything away from any other player. We've had a lot of guys step it up.

10. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

Andre Davis.

/list.

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

nice..

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

That's my assessment. The Broncos have been making big plays lately, and Cutler is really coming into his own. Marshall is probably the best WR in the NFL that no one knows about. That guy will be a perennial Pro Bowl WR, I think. Better to give up the underneath stuff in that situation. But I wasn't basing my vote on just last night's game, nor just on Hutchins' individual play. He's really shored up a weak spot. So has Demps, lately, but Hutchins was in there from the time Simmons got injured.

13. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Sage?

Oh how the rumblings are going to start getting louder.

14. euro-Texan

euro-Texan All Pro

based on last night alone, I would say Demps. He was a monster, had he made those pics he would have been the MVP for sure. As far as my original question was more based on who might have never started a game for us had the injuy bug not hit. but now has earned a spot

15. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

No...understood, I just wansn't keying on VH last night except on the replays of Marshall's catches and then maybe the plays right after that an saw him giving Marshall a pretty good pad. Smart play, give up 4-5 short plays instead of one big one.

16. ensign_lee

ensign_lee Site Contributor

Andre Davis

Sage Rosenfels

---
    I think Bennett would have got the nod at starter eventually, and after we got Will Demps, I figured he'd play eventually as well.

17. Mr PC

Mr PC Hall of Fame

Demps, Davis, Sage, Bennet, Kalu, Dayne, Walker have all stepped up big

18. euro-Texan

euro-Texan All Pro

Well I sure wish hey would die down. Sage is a GREAT back-up, but Shaub has done nothing to lose the job. He has played quality ball all year and this whole phantom "intangible" crap has mesed with peoples thinking. I think there are already 10 or 12 threads on this issue though

19. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Agreed. I was really hot for a CB at the bottom of the first two weeks ago. Are these guys growing up ? Or did Jon Hoke and Richard Smith suddenly become stinking geniuses over the course of two weeks ? Denver just came off a week where they blew out K.C. . Tired legs or well motivted guys in great scheme ? From my tree, it looks as though Kubiack took the hand cuffs off the DC and the DB coach and let slip the dogs of war. Kubick wanted this one baaaad.

20. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

I don't know 'bout "the best"...but 65's debute has got to rank as one of the best most improbable among o-lineman. I never saw it coming. That's for sure.