Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Athletic's college season mid-point mock draft

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
It's early, but I was mainly interested in where they thought the Texans pick (to the Cards) and the Browns pick (to the Texans would fall. I'm thinking both picks are between 14-18.

1. Chicago Bears (via CAR): Caleb Williams, QB, USC
2. Arizona Cardinals: Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State
3. Chicago Bears: Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State
4. Denver Broncos: Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina
5. New York Giants: Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
6. New England Patriots: Jared Verse, Edge, Florida State
7. Washington Commanders: JC Latham, OT, Alabama
8. New York Jets: Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia
9. Tennessee Titans: Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame
10. Minnesota Vikings: J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan
11. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
12. Arizona Cardinals (via HOU): Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson
13. Las Vegas Raiders: Dallas Turner, Edge, Alabama
14. Indianapolis Colts: Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
15. Atlanta Falcons: Quinn Ewers, QB, Texas
16. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: J.T. Tuimoloau, Edge, Ohio State
17. Los Angeles Rams: Patrick Paul, OT, Houston
18. Cincinnati Bengals: Kalen King, CB, Penn State
19. Green Bay Packers: Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa
20. Seattle Seahawks: Chop Robinson, Edge, Penn State
21. Houston Texans (via CLE): Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State

This might be too low in Round 1 for Coleman. It’s hard to say, as his time at Michigan State was more flash than consistency, but this season’s performance after a transfer to Florida State has been head-turning. He’s a first-round talent, it’s just a matter of where he lands. C.J. Stroud, Nico Collins and Tank Dell would have fun playing alongside him.

22. New Orleans Saints: Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas
23. Los Angeles Chargers: Laiatu Latu, Edge, UCLA
24. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jer’Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois
25. Baltimore Ravens: Josh Newton, CB, TCU
26. Detroit Lions: Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia
27. Buffalo Bills: Emeka Egbuka, WR, Ohio State
28. Dallas Cowboys: Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami
29. Philadelphia Eagles: Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
30. Miami Dolphins: Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU
31. Kansas City Chiefs: Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma
32. San Francisco 49ers: Zak Zinter, G/C, Michigan

WR- Keon Coleman (FL State) or WR- Rome Odunze (WA) in RD1 would be great.

RD2 would be just as nice if DE/DT- Maason Smith (LSU) was still on the board when the Texans pick.

There is going to be a lot of movement top of the board, might shake things up enough a really good player is still there early 20’s (Cleveland slot). Not too early to take franchise RB. Would not have minded taking Bejian Robinson #3 last year. Complete back both running and receiving, ideal size/speed combo who is willing blocker. RB room is weakest link!

There is going to be a lot of movement top of the board, might shake things up enough a really good player is still there early 20’s (Cleveland slot). Not too early to take franchise RB. Would not have minded taking Bejian Robinson #3 last year. Complete back both running and receiving, ideal size/speed combo who is willing blocker. RB room is weakest link!

You may find that desired RB in:

Trey Benson (6-1 @ 223 lbs / 4.37-40) Florida State

TreyVeon Henderson (5-10 @ 212 lbs / 4.38-40) Ohio State

Bucky Irving (5-10 @ 195 lbs / 4.46-40) Oregon

These guys could go RD1, but more than likely they should be there for taking in RD2 or later. It’s going to depend on how teams prioritize their running games.

These guys could go RD1, but more than likely they should be there for taking in RD2 or later. It’s going to depend on how teams prioritize their running games.
I like Jonathan Brooks (6-0 @ 207 lbs ) Texas

Draft the best WR in Rd. 1.

If Benson falls to the top of rd 2 trade up and get him.

Otherwise pick Irving in rd.3.

Speaking of Irving, what do you think of him and where do you think he goes? I could get on board with signing Dillon in FA and drafting Irving in the 3rd. Takes a weakness and makes it a strength.

Draft the best WR in Rd. 1.

If Benson falls to the top of rd 2 trade up and get him.

Otherwise pick Irving in rd.3.

Speaking of Irving, what do you think of him and where do you think he goes? I could get on board with signing Dillon in FA and drafting Irving in the 3rd. Takes a weakness and makes it a strength.
There are so many great wr’s in this class, why not grab the best rb in 1st?

Trey Benson would transform Slowick offense into what it needs to be a more balanced attack.

BPA, I like the WR's better than the RB's although I do like Benson a lot too.
WR’s always go higher than they should compared to RB’s who go later. So from value & need (Singletary was great today) a home run best in class RB will have profoundly more immediate impact. Just have to research which one.

WR’s always go higher than they should compared to RB’s who go later. So from value & need (Singletary was great today) a home run best in class RB will have profoundly more immediate impact. Just have to research which one.
Benson is my RB1.

I like Legette more. However with the Browns continuing to get lucky Benson may be BPA in the 20's.

Last edited:
Trey Benson looks the part of a bell cow back. Elite size 6-2 220+ excellent speed & burst, with strong hands who can gain extra yards after catch & contact, just not sure about his level of blocking ability or willingness to do so? If he does, then sign me up.

Trey Benson looks the part of a bell cow back. Elite size 6-2 220+ excellent speed & burst, with strong hands who can gain extra yards after catch & contact, just not sure about his level of blocking ability or willingness to do so? If he does, then sign me up.
You could do a lot worse than Benson at 1-20.

Remember 2019 Draft? Texans reached for need and selected Tytus Howard over Josh Jacobs with the 23rd. Pick. Bet DeMeco/Slowick would have gone with the big Alabama school prospect over the small school Alabama prospect unlike O’Brian. Who later traded two first round picks for Tunsil because Howard wasn’t cutting it as a LT. Point is, you’re in target range for a RB in the 20’s from both talent ranking and value management.

So is Trey Benson, this years Josh Jacobs?

I'd love a good bellcow back but there is a nice DE around our pick there too.
They are going to be a bunch of other great players available in the 20's, excellent safety class too and Ward has proven to be injury prone and unavailable too often, but point to be taken is there will be RB1 who stands out amongst his peers in class, so he has to be in discussion who adds another weapon & dimension to this Texans offense where they're lacking.

After watching more film of Trevon Benson, he’s not Adrian Peterson or Chuck Muncie, by that I mean he has a very upright running style but doesn’t sink his hips low and losses leverage in pass pro. Also he suffered ACL as freshman @ Oregon. Didn’t return until end of next season then transferred to FSU. Looks more like a 2nd rd prospect.

Texans don’t have a 2nd rd pick (traded for Will Anderson) and only late 3rd (from Philadelphia) Ohio State RB was a beast last year in the playoffs, might take a look @ him in that area. Played with CJ, good blocker,keeps low pad level and competes.

After watching more film of Trevon Benson, he’s not Adrian Peterson or Chuck Muncie, by that I mean he has a very upright running style but doesn’t sink his hips low and losses leverage in pass pro. Also he suffered ACL as freshman @ Oregon. Didn’t return until end of next season then transferred to FSU. Looks more like a 2nd rd prospect.

Texans don’t have a 2nd rd pick (traded for Will Anderson) and only late 3rd (from Philadelphia) Ohio State RB was a beast last year in the playoffs, might take a look @ him in that area. Played with CJ, good blocker,keeps low pad level and competes.

Eric Dickerson had that upright posture .... he and James in the same backfield .... what a tandem !

I believe the Texans have

Cleveland's 1st
Houston's 2nd
Philly's 3rd
Houston's 4th
Cleveland's 4th
Three 7ths

This is showing they have 9 picks now

View attachment 13054
The pick summary from houstontexans.com was prior to the Josh Jones trade (Houston received Jones + Cards 7th round for Texans 5th round). The 7th round pick from KC was for Lonnie Johnson, but it was conditional. Don't know for sure if the Texans own that.

Ok, time for the contrarian opinion. I don’t think MHJ is a generational prospect, or even the best WR is this draft. He’s good/great but he’s not worthy of the top 5 pick.

What am I missing?

Everything……lol kidding

I get it, I am firmly in the minority (maybe I don't watch enough Ohio St football), but I don't see that much separation between MHJ, Nabers, Odunze and Coleman as prospects. Honestly of the four I like Odunze the best, purely on his ability to make contested catches. I'm not even sure that MHJ is a better prospect than Olave was.

Back