The arrival of Wade starts a whole new Kubiak era

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texecutioner, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I think it does. All Mcnair will need to see is the most minimal improvement just like when Kubiak was first hired to be happy "where this team is going". Now that Wade is here and he has the "Phillips" name and pedigree, Bob will feel like Wade will need a few years to turn this horrible defense around and that Kubiak is just fine with the offense. It will be on the defense to get their things together now. I think this gives Kubiak possibly even two more years of no playoffs, because Bob will look at this like a whole new situation that will need more time to turn around. I think his next excuse is that one year was not long enough for Wade to put his footprint on this defense and that "he'll need his time."

Get ready for a lot longer of more Kubiak win or lose and playoffs or no playoffs. Kubiak just got grandfathered for another two seasons at least and probably even three.

Double Barrel likes this.
  2. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Sucks, but it's the truth, unless we win 3 or less games next season, Kubiak will be back no matter what. McNair is pretty dumb, tbh.

3. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

I hope you're wrong. I want to see a solid record AND playoffs in 2011. Especially if Cowher is still available. I think having Wade here is like when they kept Carr after Kubiak was hired. Regardless of the extension, you've got one year or else.

4. GP

GP Go Texans!

Yeah, I will co-sign what you're saying.

It's essentially a fresh start. The only way this ends for Kubiak is if Wade's defense becomes an overnight, instantly awesome defense that does its job well...while Kubiak's offense sputters and plays its best ball with 2 minutes left in each game.

There could be such a huge disparity between Kubiak's offense and Wade's defense, that it becomes such a glaring problem in terms of isolating Kubiak out on an island...like his cornerbacks were all season long. That's going to lead to Kubiak falling down and getting burned too much.

Which MIGHT cause McNair to fire Kubiak. And we all know who takes over at that point, don't we? Yep.

Round and round we go, where we stop...well, everyone knows.

5. Texecutioner

I thought about it more, and honestly you can't expect a guy to just come right in and transform an entire defense that's been arguably the worst of all time around in one season. Especially if he converts it to a 3-4. It's possible to get a significant improvement, but you can't "expect" it. I think that Bob will now be even more patient than ever, because he'll have the same type of belief in Wade that he has in Kubiak, and he'll feel Wade just needs "more time" to turn this defense into a dominant unit to go along with this so called great mythical offense that Mcnair thinks Kubes has. I could see a failure of a season where Mcnair feels like Wade needs at least two seasons and that it wouldn't be fair to fire Kubiak or Wade under that situation because "they'll be so close" in his mind.

6. GP

GP Go Texans!

That's the best possible ending to this story.

Wade is brought in, to try and help Gary's wittle football team get all better, and Kubiak crumbles (under the pressure) and there's Cowher....

HOWEVER....

You fail to make allowances for McNair just sliding Wade right into the HC spot.

To be honest, I just don't see McNair finally "GETTING IT" that Bill Cowher will have now waited TWO years for the Texas position to open up.

At some point, Cowher has to know that he's gotta' get some compromising photos of McNair if he's going to become the Texans new HC.

7. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

i think that a little improvement in the defense and we will be fine, if we can only allow 21-24 points a game i can still see us making the playoffs in 2011. if not for our young CBs. we all know we'd be preparing to play in our first ever play-off game.

OzzO and FirstTexansFan like this.
  8. Rey

Rey Guest

At this point I can't even speculate about Kubiaks future beyond this year...

I'm into off-season mode now...

Just wanna see the team make moves to improve....

9. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

With a weaker schedule next year and a legit DC calling plays, I think making the playoffs should be the MINIMUM expectation of this team next year.

I think it's a win-win for the team and fans. Either Kubiak finally gets over the hump and we're a playoff team, or installing the 3-4 sets the table for the Cowher 2012 transition. (yes, I think Cowher will still be available, as no one has made a run at him, and his "top 3 teams of interest" are all retaining their coaches)

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

well if his #1 Cheerleader keeps this up, maybe not! :sbad:

11. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

All Phillips does is win where ever he goes so I don't get the "It's gonna take a few years." approach.

Wade is a great hire. Best hire this organization has ever had.

Not to mention he has coached Ware, Bruce Smith, and Merriman.

We are going to KILL Manning next year. Screw the CB's. The rush is going to have the QB's flat on their ass before they can even pass.

12. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

I think if Wade can transform these guys to a top 10 defense, but we still fall below 10 wins and miss the playoffs, I think Bob will run out of excuses for Kubiak.

One reason I think Wade took this job is because he knows Gary is on the hot seat next season and he can be in a good position to take over.

13. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

I hope so. But Manning has a knack for carving up 3-4 defenses. Just ask Rex Ryan.

14. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    So...what if they go 10-6 but don't make the playoffs somehow. Good enough? Probably for McNair. Long Live Kubiak.

15. Htownsportsfan

Htownsportsfan All Pro

I agree that when you look at the situation it seems to set up Kubiak for a return again after next season. Especially if the lockout does take place and ends up having a big impact on adding personnel.

That said a case can be made that this team could make the playoffs next year. If you think about how many games could have been different with just a mediocre defense instead of a good awful defense and a more consistent offense. I was a proponent of change at HC but its conceivable that with the slightest improvement on defense we could be in the playoff hunt. Even if they dont turn out to be super talented players Jackson/Quinn/Sharpton/Mitchell should all be better with a year under their belt. You would also think having Cushing from day 1and Demeco and Barwin back in the lineup would have to help a ton as well.

That said we still need to do a better job and make some major headway in FA.

16. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

I wouldn't cry over that.

Each time he get fired at the HC it's by a jackhole owner. Buffalo, Denver, Dallas. And it's always over something stupid.

17. Texecutioner

This to me sounds like very overly optimistic homerish thinking honestly. Having this much confidence in a coach that historically doesn't hold his players accountable where they lack focus on a team where that's the biggest problem does not automatically equal out to this being this great hire. Actually on paper Wade is probably the worst hire of any coach on the horizon. You've got a team that has suffered from two horribly soft coaches back to back where the players have never felt any urgency to perform for their jobs and their humility because Houston fans treat the players like their Gods or something.

Wade had a team full of all types of talent in Dallas and that team fell right on it's face and was the worst team in the league other than when they played the Texans before he was fired this year and many picked Dallas to be in the SB. Why the hell was that? Because Wade is weak and Wade is the type of coach where his voice gets old real fast if he's expected to be a leader as a coach. Sure he's a great DC. No one would argue that. He's been a great coordinator under HC's that are strong minded personalities that had their teams in order though and didn't lack a ton of focus. Wade is good at being the good cop to the bad cop. He's good at being the nice parent that's understanding. Kubiak is already here and he's that same role. They're both sweety pies. That's a recipe for disaster. Whether Wade gets this defense turned around really fast or not is besides the point honestly. Kubiak will still be here and them two together will get real old to the players on this team eventually and you're completely kidding yourself if you think that the players here will take these two coaches seriously after two seasons together.

Even if the Texans make the playoffs next year. Two softies as coaches with a softy as an owner = No accountability which leads to a lack of focus and poor leadership which is already here.

18. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Actually 3-4 defenses have historically given Manning more trouble. New England and San Diego have much longer histories with Peyton than the Jets. As a disclaimer, any defense whether 4-3 or 3-4 that is going to make life tough on Manning needs to be talented and well coached. Wonder what its like to have one of those...

19. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

I don't really recall Peyton having trouble with SD or NE, but my memory may be failing me at the moment. It seemed to me it was always the Colts D that had trouble stopping Brady and Rivers.

20. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Either way, we already have trouble against Peyton. Might as well try something new. Worst case scenario, he torches us like he usually does.