The AFC South Basketball team

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by brakos82, May 30, 2009.

1. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

In conjunction with the story about what kind of football player LeBron James would be, I asked you who you thought belonged on an AFC South basketball team.

(Thanks to Charles in Jacksonville who pointed me to this at jaguars.com. Ryan Robinson recently asked some players to put together their team of teammates.)

Some of you really got into it, so here's a sampling of the best responses before I give you my starting five. Special props to the first two here, for the way they framed each selection in the context of an NBAer:

After reading through all your feedback and my own careful consideration, here's the starting team I'd put on the floor:

PG -- Maurice Jones-Drew (running back, Jacksonville)[​IMG]
    I think his toughness would be ideal, and since we don't have a lot of height to select from, we're going to have to be tough. I picture him as a real floor general. And we tend to underrate his wheels -- he was also a sprinter in high school -- because he's compared to Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton.
    Backup: Johnson. I'll take Johnson over Slaton as CJ played basketball at Olympia High School in Orlando.

SG -- Justin Gage (receiver, Tennessee)[​IMG]
    He played three seasons of college hoop at Missouri, averaging over 14 minutes. I envision him playing great defense and being a solid shooter. With the most high-level hoop experience, he's the guy who might settle this team down in pressure moments.
    Backup: Vince Young. No denying his athleticism, I just couldn't leave him off and this seems like the spot.

SF -- Andre Johnson (receiver, Houston)[​IMG]
    The guy is a phenomenal athlete and was mentioned by you in this slot more than anyone at any position. I agree. He lettered in basketball at Miami (Fla.) Senior High School. He's going to be undersized, but should come to be able hold his own defensively against bigger guys. Backup: Connor Barwin played 23 games as a walk-on at Cincinnati in 2006.

PF -- Jason Jones (defensive end, Titans)[​IMG]
    Going with experience here, where there maybe other athletes who are more attractive or qualify as bigger names. Jones was a stud basketball player at Lathrup High School in Southfield Mich., averaging 24 points, 14 rebounds, five assists and two blocks in 2003-04 and winning MVP of the Motor City Roundball Classic. I am suitably impressed, and have been told he was "great" in a recent charity game in Nashville.
    Backup: Greg Estandia, who was an all-league basketballer as a senior at Moorpark (Calif.) High School. At 6-8, 265 he gives us additional size.

C -- Mario Williams (defensive end, Houston)[​IMG]
    The best combination of big and athletic to be found in the division, I think. Like anyone in this exercise, he's going to need help when asked to defend a bigger center. As Carson points out above, Williams' giant wingspan is a plus.
    Backup: John Henderson. At 6-7, 335 he can wear down some people inside helping make things easier for Williams.

Sixth man/Swing -- Reggie Wayne (receiver, Indianapolis)[​IMG]
    As brandvold3 points out above, Wayne could be versatile enough to play either guard spot or small forward. I could see him bringing high energy off the bench for a boost on offense or to cool off someone by getting in his face on D.
    Backup: Dwight Freeney. At only 6-1, he's going to have to use his quickness and I'm going to hope he's got a good handle. He earned four varsity letters at Bloomfield (Conn.) High School in basketball and only three in football.

Toughest to leave off: Marcedes Lewis was awfully tempting. But I found it difficult not to mark him down for his tendency to drop passes. This team can't afford to turn over the basketball.

Now who wants to do a baseball team. Kidding. I think. Check back with me during the slow weeks of July.

More...

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

young =6th man(at least) .. just not starter material right now

I don't know how young's ball handling is , I can't remember how many fumbles he had but know he had some INT's

but we know Mario can ball

[​IMG]

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I was going to say this is dumb, but if I were still in junior high it would have been interesting.

4. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

the long offseason