The 80-man roster limit

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Funny, up until I read this article in today's Chronicle, I had never heard that there was an 80-man roster limit.

2. Marcus

I think Ahman will be gone, despite what Smith says.

Since I don't think Dunta will play at all next season, it will interesting to see what they offer him just to sit out the season on IR. I see a one year tender to Weary.

And from the sound of it, Earl, Simmons, McKinney, and Mathis are all gone.

And they to make another offer to Andre Davis. His contract was for only one year.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Dunta....Willie D U N T A Robinson. Not Donte Robinson. :wild:

4. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

howd you figure?

"We'll tender Jerome an offer"... it sounded like they were more reluctanct on offering CC an offer than jerome

5. Marcus

I caught it before I even read your post. You should have given me a minute. :)

6. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

It would seem that's a strong possibilty if not likelihood, unless Green would
    agree to radically restructure his contract, which might include a very incentiave based contract including a minimum # of starts for '08.
    I dunno, wonder what would be the chances of that sort of an arrangement ?

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

The Green deal really pisses me off. Ron Dayne is averaging 4 yards a carry and has 685 yards right now. If the team had been starting him from day one they could have saved the money they wasted on Green and got the same type of production (or better) out of the BurgerMeister.

Sometimes your best move is to do nothing.

8. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I wouldn't base it on starts, I would base it on finishes.

9. False Start

False Start On # 69

I agree . I had a bad feeling about Green when we signed him . I told my brother , "watch , hes gonna end up getting hurt , its just Texans luck" . The Dayne Train may have been on his way to a 1000 yard season by now . You never know though .

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I think you were one of the few who hated the Green signing right off the bat. Now we are going into 2008 and we still need a feature back but now have a old injury prone player with a cap issue to deal with.

11. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I was a bit shocked when I read that article this morning. Primarily because it required thought to construct and contained insight that you don't normally get from the chronic. The daily crumb was tasty for a change.

12. Marcus

Hate to throw the hindsight beanbag at ya, Herv. The BurgerMeister might have also blown out his knee in the very first game.

I mean, it wasn't but about 5 games ago that people were still calling Mario a bust, and calling for Dayne to be cut.

Vinny likes this.
  13. Rex King

Rex King Veteran

So I'm not the only one, eh. Look at the byline, though. When does Dale Robertson ever write about the Texans?

Dayne was looking pretty bad at the beginning of the season, though. Injured possibly? Gotta love his attitude and toughness, though. The irony is that Kubes and co. signed Gree because they didn't want to get stuck in the same situation we were in last year. You know, the one we're in now :wheel: :wheel:

14. FILO_girl

FILO_girl I'm not here

Never knew about this 80 man roster thing. Always learning something new about the game. :texflag:

15. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

It used to be 80 plus NFL-E exemptions, which expire at the final cut down. Since there's no more NFL-E, I've heard that 80 could become 85 during the owners meetings (85 during the off-season that is).

The 80 limit is for off-season btw. What Smith is worried about is the futures contracts that they will offer to players when the season ends and those are counted against the number of players under contract even though the new league year doesn't start until ~March 1 (when the 80 limit goes into effect).

16. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Most of the wiggle room will be in the secondary. None of the starters coming out of camp (not named Dunta) were head and shoulders above their replacements. In fact, I like the guys we have now better than the lot we started the season with. So I say toss 'em all into the mix come camp time and let the cream rise to the top.

Regarding the O-line, there are plenty of questions...
    - Will Weary come back 100%
    - Is Briesel any good or was it that Denver's D-line still sucks
    - Studdard plays with a mean streak but can he stay off the injury report for any length of time
    - (this un'll kill you) IS Charles Spencer "all that"? Remember he only played TWO games. If you'll check the stat sheet for those two games you'll see we gave up NINE Sacks! We only gave up 43 the whole year, right? So he "anchored" the O-line that gave up 20+% of the 2006 sack total in those two games. So I ask you, why should he get a pass.

As far as RB goes, we don't seem to have much luck in that area going as far back as Domanick Davis-Williams. So the more bodies the better. If Green miraculously heals, cool. If he doesn't, I'm thinking Chris Taylor, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker, and whoever we pick up via the draft will do just fine as long as we strengthen the O-line.