The 61-yd. MJD run

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by eriadoc, Sep 28, 2009.

1. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Maybe someone that has it recorded can answer this question:

I keep hearing how Busing did a terrible job on that play, and he did, but what if he had filled the gap he was supposed to fill? He'd be there one on one vs. MJD in an alley big enough to drive a truck through. OK, so it probably wouldn't have been a TD, as Busing would most likely be a decent speed bump anyway, but why is no one talking about the other ten players on that play? If the design of that play is to put Busing in position to make a solo tackle, then that's a crappy defensive alignment anyway.

2. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Its just an example of our coaches outsmarting the other team. Put our worst starters in a position to make plays! Use Mario, DeMeco, and Cushing to block the OL and let our DTs and Safeties go nuts!!!

TheIronDuke likes this.
  3. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

A good safety makes that play but also our corner jumped way outside and upfield which was a bit suprising, he should of followed the TE blocking down and given himself a chance to make the tackle.

#93 got sealed off by the TE, #66 got blasted as well, they are at least 3 yards downfield when MJD hits the LOS.

#56 fills what I believe is the original gap, and tries to circle around behind him, but can't quite get there, not going to happen often if at all on good backs.

#40 starts to fill in about 7 yards behind #56 but doesnt' see MJD on the cutback, which ultimately is the last chance at making the tackle.

IMHO, #93, and the CB made bad moves, and Busing didn't see the cutback which is score 6 for the jaguars.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d812faa57/NFL-GameDay-Jaguars-vs-Texans-highlights

4. silvrhand

Double post fail..

5. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I would say it's on Bulman and Busing.
    Bennett had to watch for the reverse.

6. silvrhand

The reverse is pretty obvious when it's coming from that side of the view, You can see it coming a mile away from the position he was in. The CB is just way out of position to make a play on anything but the reverse which makes it one less person for anyone to attack, and makes the cutback much easier for MJD.

If he slides down at the TE blocks down he's in a better position to force a decision for MJD, do I cut up, or do I try to bounce it outside, and with this the CB has a chance to make a tackle.

Either way it's a pretty good cutback by MJD, and he's hard to spot, but ultimately 2 and IMHO 3 players were at fault.

7. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Quite frankly if the entire Texans defense didn't start out with the entire game plan to stop MJD and make Garrard try and win the game. They rightfully lost.

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

You know the thing that pisses me off most? A majority of these long runs have come off of zone blocking. I mean, WTF? Does our D not see the ZBS every darn day at practice?! Crazy, I tell ya

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

He had 58 rushing yards on 22 carries if you take away the 61 yd TD. I mention that not to excuse the run defense but to point out that the yards weren't a result of not focusing on him. They certainly did... that's why the QB run and reverse was so effective off the fake to MJD.

10. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

We're talking about game speed here, come on!

When Bennett saw the receiver coming from the other side, he still has to watch for it. That fake is good enough to freeze the best CB in the league, IMO.

11. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Yeah you left out two touchdowns as well when you didn't include the 61 yarder.

Same thing I've heard two weeks prior, well if you don't count X big play the defense did fine. Problem is in reality the big gains DO count.

12. silvrhand

We played a horrible 4-2-5 SAM defense in high school I got stuck almost in the same position that this guy was. &ou can easily see the receiver swinging around. You can easily slide down on the line while keeping your eyes in the backfield to look what's coming and clearly cover the reverse.

You DE getting blown down the field by the TE doesn't help, god he got pushed 3-4 yards off the line.

13. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

And remember, it was a well-design play by the Jags.
    Garrard made his turn to the other side to hide the ball from the defenders.

Furthermore, I have to wonder about communications in the defense back end.

Even if Busing can't see the receiver clearly, either Wilson or Dunta should have signaled to him in some form.
    I think Wilson should also take a step further inside as the receiver went into motion to the slot.
    Both he and Dunta did not react very well to the play either.

There are too many signs of a poorly coached football team.
    Not just in this particular play.
    The players are not prepared for all the different things the opponent may do in certain situation.

14. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

Well, I told him what I thought about it...

[​IMG]

swtbound07 and Dan B. like this.
  15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think that was the plan. Mario is usually pretty good about his responsiblity, but he ran afte MJD, and Garard ran for 30 because Mario didn't do his job.

We play with Blinders on.

Just like 2006, when everybody was talking about Mario not getting sacks & the pressure was on him to get sacks, and he seemingly didn't care about anything other than getting a sack.... screens, reverses, bootlegs...... all went right by him. Up until yesterday, that hadn't happened since his rookie season. Well, not as often. Last year, it didn't happen.

16. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

LMAO!!! Shaft, I didn't catch the finger gesture until now.. Good stuff!!!

17. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

You still not quite sober, TB? LOL!

18. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I have had deja vu 4 times now with basically that play and the defense getting blown apart... I imagine all offensive coordinators are making sure a run play like that is added to the audibles when a team plays us :gun:

19. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

The vision is still a little blury....... or was that MJD flashing by??

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I agree. Bennett had to watch the reverse. Not that he would have done anything anyway, but that was definitely his responsibility.

I'm not blaming Busing.. he probably couldn't see MJD (all 5' 6" of him). Bullman's job is to force the run in.... he didn't do it, against a Tight end at that..... shouldn't happen.

The rookie also hesitated. He should have been, and he's often been in the backfield on that play.

That's not a Zone play, but the job the LT & guard did on DelJuan is text book double team. The guard takes him straight on, and the LT pops him for 3 yards. There's nothing DelJuan can do there.

But being that Cush got through that gap clean, in actuallity, DelJuan did "good enough" If Bullman holds his end, MJD would be running right at Busing.

As it is, Busing is too far inside to be effective if MJD takes it outside, which he did.