That throw by Schaub...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by sbalderrama, Dec 14, 2008.

1. sbalderrama

sbalderrama Guest

to AJ for 65 of whatever yards was a rocket. In his early games alot of his throws seemed kindof weak and looked like rainbows. I don't know if he has gotten stronger or better technique or what but this year it seems like I've seen a progression to throws that look like something a serious NFL quarterback throws. That throw he had time and he just cranked that sucker up and it shot out of there. I don't think any other QB in the league could have thrown that one much better.

I saw that throw and just thought "holy crap, that looked like a real quarterback." Good stuff.

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I'd have to go back and watch to see exactly how far AJ dragged the defender to determine how far it traveled in the air, but AJ had to slow up for it or that would have been a TD.

3. sbalderrama

sbalderrama Guest

maybe a bit... and as a side note.. how sweet was that little slow down and then hit the afterburners by AJ to get open on that play.

4. GP

GP Go Texans!

Yep. He slowed down. It would have been a TD.

The ball still floated, IMO. Matt is throwing later than he should, and the ball is floating more than he should. I think he's putting too much stock into putting "touch" on the ball.

But then again....I'm not a football player, nor a coach at any level. So what the heck do I know? LOL. I love being a Keyboard Warrior.

5. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

If Schaub continues to progress in all other areas, then his arm is strong enough. He doesn't have a gun, but that's not the most important thing.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

We can nitpick placement, etc. on Schaub but two things he definitively does are working the middle of the field (a lost area for both HWWNBN and Rosenfels) and will consistently challenge down field.

7. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

His accuracy has been pretty impressive lately too. I don't have the "Oh #$%@" thought go through my head every time he throws a pass into tight coverage like I've had with Sage & HWWNBN.

8. GP

GP Go Texans!

He knows who the bread winner is (AJ) that's for dang sure.

9. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Yeah he has his flaws but when you look at his Yards per Attempt and his completion percentage it is really impressive.

10. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

I was just SO proud and happy of how he stood in the pocket strong and took the shots after all the BS talking about how he was "scared" of the Titans.

11. taruky

taruky Rookie

AJ had to slow down a little, but that wasn't for lack of arm strength. You watch the replay and he clearly wasn't putting his all into it, as a matter of fact he kind of threw it while standing tall rather than leaning his body into the throw. Matt has a pretty quick release and can throw the ball on the drop of a dime, which isn't the case for a lot of QBs. For the record he threw it about 45-50 yards. I would take AJ having to slow down a tad over overshooting him any day.

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I have never seen Schaub throw a deep ball that our WR caught in stride. That said, I'll reiterate the point in my second post - his arm strength is good enough, all things considered. It's not something I'm going to complain about.

13. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

I can remember one in particular--the very first TD he threw to AJ in week one last year against the Chiefs. Play action brought the safety up and Schaub hit AJ for an easy 77 yd TD.

14. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

The one that I did in this game was to AJ on the right hash where MS threaded the needle between three defenders. From the camera angle on the TV, I thought for sure that ball was going right into the hands of the defender under the route, I mean right on his numbers. I still don't know how it made it to AJ, and neither did Tasker. That was one of those "Oh #$%@" moments. But to be honest I don't have those "Oh #$%@" moments when he drops back to pass anymore. They dissapeared about 4 games ago. Now when he drops back, I'm wondering how many yards it's going to be for, not if it will get to the right guy. I thought the play calling yesterday did a great job of changing it up at the right time. Some of the plays hurt, and some of them were not sucessful, but it kept the Titans in check.

15. dskillz

dskillz Veteran

I think Schaub sitting on the sidelines watching Sage implode week after week helped him out alot. He has been throwing the ball away, taking sacks and not trying to make miracle throws like he was at the beginning of the season.

16. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

Schaub has never been known for having a cannon. He was known for his accuracy, which is highlighted by the fact that he's been running the same system that he ran at Virginia.

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I agree. That pass definitely got my a-hole puckered up. It was right on the money though and Schaub put some mustard on the ball too.

Oh, by the way..................AJ's a friggin Beast!!

18. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

In simple terms, as long as Schaub is healthy, he is our QB.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Nope. I have it on DVR still. AJ had to slow up, but he was so wide open, no one was near him. That ball was underthrown.

As I said, I don't care, I just notice these things. It's more important to me that they have a good scheme, that AJ is getting that wide open, that Schaub's recognizing the coverages and matchups, and that he's challenging the defense and getting the ball there.

20. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. I just watched it on NFL.com and it looks to my eye as if he hit him in stride. He may have underthrown him slightly, but if he did it was rather minimal.

Regardless, that play was a great indicator of the future of this offense.