Thank you for a big WR FA pool

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Oz Texan, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Oz Texan

Oz Texan Rookie

There is one thing I'm greatful for is that this FA period had a large WR pool. Its taken some of our biggest competition for drafting WRs hopefully out of drafting WRs early and moving some of them our direction.

Teams needing WRs

Chicago: Signed Brandon Marshall
    Tampa Bay: signed Vincent Jackson
    Washington: Signed Piere Garcon, Josh Morgan

Thats 3 teams out of our way in the first round.

This maybe moves a Golden Domer named Floyd to 26 which would be a no brainer.

2. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

I have my doubts that Michael Floyd will fall all the way down to #26 even with this deep class of free agent wideouts.

This is good news for maybe the likes of Kendall Wright, Stephen Hill, and/or Reuben Randle being available at that spot.

3. SW H-TOWN

SW H-TOWN All Pro

Personally I think Floyd will be long gone before 26. Browns and Rams still need a WR I believe. Before FA I thought that Wright would be long gone, now there is a pretty good chance he will be there when we pick. I just hope some team falls in love with Hill's combine numbers. I really like Wright, he has a ton of good tape. Just shows that making or predicting drafts before free agency is an exercise in futility.

4. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

If we could get Wright or Randle in the 1st and move up to get Hill in the 2nd, it would be as awesome as Watt and Reed last year.

5. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

There has been some retarded contracts handed out to some of these WR's I think the worst was 42 million to Garcon.

6. pec0sb0b

pec0sb0b on the lam

Wright, Hill and Randle are all second round picks, even if a club should reach for them in the first. None of them are day one starters and imho if a receiver is not ready to start day one, he's not worth a first round pick.

Second round is where the real value lies at wide receiver. All of those guys and more; Jeffery, Sanu, Jones, Toon, McNutt. All have great potential as second or third round picks.

7. pec0sb0b

pec0sb0b on the lam

Desean Jackson in Philly + five-year, $51 million = overpaid

8. XI CMURDER IX

XI CMURDER IX Gig 'em

Good points, but some will be day one starters and get drafted in the first round. Not all of the teams are going to wait until round two or three to take these guys. Just think back to last year when there were a lot of QBs drafted higher than there should have been. That is what will happen this year with wide receivers. I will go out and say that I think Randle is a day one starter however. If you count a #2 WR a starter that is.

9. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Considering what it would've cost to tag him it's a great deal IMO. Dude is at least a top 10 WR and is a threat on special teams.

Garcon could very well could be just as good as Manning made him. I think his contract by far has been the worst for a WR.

I doubt Floyd drops to #26 regardless of who has gone where via FA.

majestrate likes this.
  10. pec0sb0b

pec0sb0b on the lam

I totally agree. Teams always reach for skill players, it seems. Those QBs that were picked last year that work out will always be considered as shrewd picks and those that don't as reaches, or even busts. It's just that I think many WRs take time to mature, learning to run their routes, etc. and expecting them to start in the NFL as a rookie is a tall order. Here's hoping they all turn out to be Calvin Johnsons!

11. SW H-TOWN

SW H-TOWN All Pro

I would say Wright > Walter = Wright Day 1 Starter. Wright is a first round draft pick.

12. majestrate

majestrate All Pro

Just curious, why do you think he was overpaid?

13. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

And I'm sure there were quite a few Texans fans upset because Smithiak didn't have every free agent in Houston on Tuesday afternoon so we could waste our money on them. Washington spends more than any other team every year. What's it gotten them?

The draft is there for a reason. You lose a few players each year and you replace them with cheaper draft picks. It's happened every year we've been around. The only difference is we've finally got players other teams want.

14. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

veeeeeeeery overpaid.....

15. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

I don't know about that, Walter loves getting his hands dirty and we like our receivers fully committed to the run game, I don't know if Wright would be up to snuff right away.

16. SW H-TOWN

SW H-TOWN All Pro

Walter is a better blocker for sure but I would say that Wright is better at everything else and would be more productive overall. However, Kubiak is very loyal and puts a lot of importance on a WR ability to block so he would probably start Walter.

17. Rey

Rey Guest

Outside of Floyd or Blackmon I don't see a WR in the draft that I think would come in and start from day 1.

That is part of the reason I have backed off of my WR in the first round stance. Might as well wait to the second or third round because there will be lots of talented guys available.

I'm more inclined to add a beast to the O or D line...

18. Iceman16

Iceman16 Veteran

Wide receiver is one of the most difficult positions to pick up as a rookie. Do you only date supermodels, too?

19. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

He's a selfish, cancerous, one-dimensional primadonna.

SW H-TOWN likes this.
  20. SW H-TOWN

SW H-TOWN All Pro

I probably like more than Wright more than most. When I see him I see a guy who I think could start from day one. The guy is fearless going across the middle, hands like glue, ability to separate, elusive, great yac ability. Floyd is a stud too. Ability to run over a CB, great redzone target, amazing body control and hands . To me they are both day one starters. Floyd ran faster at the combine but I don't think any scout or GM would tell you that Floyd is faster on the football field than Wright. 2 totally different types of receivers. I'm really interested in seeing them on the field. Like you said WR is really hard to pick up in the NFL but personally I think that this class has 3 great WR. I don't think that Hill or the guy from Rutgers or LSU will be good NFL receivers.