Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texian Mocks and Draft

I don't grade drafts either. Except here I might give my opinion. Truth is it usually takes 3 years to know what you have drafted. This is why posters calling Stingley and Green busts are wrong. It's not like these guys don't have the ability to improve.

The Georgia guys certainly have the ability to be star level players.

Does that apply to CJ Stroud too, or will you be dogging him as a rookie. 95% of rookie QB's have at least some issues. What you're looking for is traits as a rookie.

Reactions: JB
Does that apply to CJ Stroud too, or will you be dogging him as a rookie. 95% of rookie QB's have at least some issues. What you're looking for is traits as a rookie.
If he makes dumb mistakes I will call them out, just like you did with Mills. This should be fair game because Stroud's more talented and has more talent around him than Mills had.

Who has been the best defender drafted under Kirby Smart at Georgia?
I never called Stingley or Green a bust. I think Green is going to be good, Stingley is always going to be an injury concern imo
Carter had the highest % of QB pressures in the NCAA and Smith is the most athletic and had the most GA sacks in 2021.

I didn't mean you and I wasn't clear. (Apologize) I think Green is going to be really good. This will solve a lot of problems on the OL.

I'm going with Roquan Smith as the best defender on a Smart defense.
Green was one of the worst underperforming OL at the 2022 Combine. He is slow and weak and his 2023 NFL performance confirmed as much. In addition, he is not the athletic OL that fits a WCO. Unless there is a dramatic turn around I don't see Green getting a 2nd contract or a 5th-year extension. When I said Cal would piss away the Watson ransom, this was the first domino to fall.

Green was one of the worst underperforming OL at the 2022 Combine. He is slow and weak and his 2023 NFL performance confirmed as much. In addition, he is not the athletic OL that fits a WCO. Unless there is a dramatic turn around I don't see Green getting a 2nd contract or a 5th-year extension. When I said Cal would piss away the Watson ransom, this was the first domino to fall.
Hopefully a year in a NFL S&C program can help with this. Green was actually quite good the first 3 games before he got hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel pretty confident they will do well.

Ringo probably needs to play safety.
I agree with your assessment of Ringo. I thought he was out of position at UGA. He could really excel at FS with his 4.36 speed (his pick-six in Natty to seal it). I liked Hyatt more than Dell. Hyatt's 40" vertical and 11.3 ' broad jump are more explosive. His 4.40 40 is a half step faster than Dell. I start drooling thinking of Pickens and Hyatt as Texans.

Hopefully a year in a NFL S&C program can help with this. Green was actually quite good the first 3 games before he got hurt.
In my book Green will always be measured against Jodan Davis. The Green pick was the moment in time when I knew that the Texans were getting the Tampa and Illinois Lovie and not the Chicago Lovie.

Last edited:
Carter had the highest % of QB pressures in the NCAA and Smith is the most athletic and had the most GA sacks in 2021.
Where did you read that about Carter? This is 2023 draft and Smith in his last,full healthy year had what 5 sacks?

In my book Green will always be measured against Jodan Davis. The Green pick was the moment in time when I knew that the Texans were getting the Tampa and Illinois Lovie and not the Chicago Lovie.
Green will be compared to Zion Johnson, not Jordan Davis. Davis was hurt most of the year anyway.

If he makes dumb mistakes I will call them out, just like you did with Mills. This should be fair game because Stroud's more talented and has more talent around him than Mills had.

I'll concede your point. It's a better overall offense, but the Cooks factor keeps it from being a slam dunk. Mills had Cooks. CJ does not. Who's the #1 X receiver? Robert Woods?

If I see a ton of dumb mistakes, and missing wide-open guys consistently over an extended period, I'll be calling him out too. That said, all rookies are graded on a curve from me. Which is why I was a lot harder on Mills in 22 then I was in 21. In 21, I just didn't see the physical and mental traits I'm looking for in a LT starter. In 22, not only didn't he improve - Mills went backwards. By a lot. Some on here wanted to roll him out again in 23 which is just pure insanity.

32nd in QBR, last for 2 straight years in avg. yards per drive. Lots and lots of picks. Terrible completion %. And Mills simply put - does not pass the eye test. There's no it factor whatsoever with Mills. And rarely, if ever, did he make a play when it mattered. When Payton Manning was a rookie, he threw a ton of picks. But he also made plays, became a leader, and had a certain it factor about him. You could see the wheels turning, and that he was someone that had a high chance of succeeding once he ironed out the details. That's what I'm looking for. Stats can tell A story but it's not THE story. More important than stats as a rookie is those intangible qualities. We'll see if Stroud passes the eye test and shows some moxie and some it factor this year, but my money is on yes.

I'll concede your point. It's a better overall offense, but the Cooks factor keeps it from being a slam dunk. Mills had Cooks. CJ does not. Who's the #1 X receiver? Robert Woods?

If I see a ton of dumb mistakes, and missing wide-open guys consistently over an extended period, I'll be calling him out too. That said, all rookies are graded on a curve from me. Which is why I was a lot harder on Mills in 22 then I was in 21. In 21, I just didn't see the physical and mental traits I'm looking for in a LT starter. In 22, not only didn't he improve - Mills went backwards. By a lot. Some on here wanted to roll him out again in 23 which is just pure insanity.

32nd in QBR, last for 2 straight years in avg. yards per drive. Lots and lots of picks. Terrible completion %. And Mills simply put - does not pass the eye test. There's no it factor whatsoever with Mills. And rarely, if ever, did he make a play when it mattered. When Payton Manning was a rookie, he threw a ton of picks. But he also made plays, became a leader, and had a certain it factor about him. You could see the wheels turning, and that he was someone that had a high chance of succeeding once he ironed out the details. That's what I'm looking for. Stats can tell A story but it's not THE story. More important than stats as a rookie is those intangible qualities. We'll see if Stroud passes the eye test and shows some moxie and some it factor this year, but my money is on yes.
Cooks?

No excuses

My draft went Carter, Smith Mauch, Ringo, Wypler
So you wanted the Texans to draft a player at 1.2 whose own college coaches were warning the NFL about?
Link?
Where did you read that about Carter? This is 2023 draft and Smith in his last,full healthy year had what 5 sacks?
Three. Six career sacks in 35 college games.

Reactions: JB
Will Anderson (2020 - 2022) 58.5 TFL, 34.5 sacks

Jalen Carter (2020 - 2022) 18.5 TFL, 6 sacks
Nolan Smith (2020 - 2022) 17.5 TFL, 9 sacks

Will Anderson has more sacks and TFL than 2x Jalen Carter + one Nolan Smith.

That's why I would trade 2 1sts and a 2nd for Anderson.

Back