Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texas A&M to the Cotton Bowl

Whoop. Just remembering going to the 50th Anniversary Game vs Auburn. Bo Jackson was unpleasantly surprised by the wrecking crew. Froze my ass off.

Whoop!!! I think it's a great match-up and what the Cotton Bowl should be. The Cotton Bowl has been so off point compared to what it once was. This is the kinda game the Cotton Bowl should be!!!!

GIG 'EM!!

I'm glad they got the Cotton Bowl, but it's really shitty that they are ranked so low compared to the other teams. We beat both Nebraska and OU, the only team to do that this year and we aren't even considered for the championship game because we lost to Arkansas (now #7) while we had a turnover machine at QB. LAAAAAAAAME!

I'm glad they got the Cotton Bowl, but it's really shitty that they are ranked so low compared to the other teams. We beat both Nebraska and OU, the only team to do that this year and we aren't even considered for the championship game because we lost to Arkansas (now #7) while we had a turnover machine at QB. LAAAAAAAAME!

Agreed. It is total BS.

In college, it isn't about what you've done THIS year, its about what you've done this year, last year, the year before that, etc, etc. You get the point. Its total BS, and reason number 2,457, 543 for a f'ing playoff!!!!

Yea, A&M's losses don't look so bad now, do they.

#7 Arkansas - 7 point loss
#12 Missouri - ugly game
#14 Oklahoma St. - 3 point loss as time expired.

Wins over #9 Oklahoma (dominated) and #13 Nebraska (close 3 point win).

But, the only 3 loss team ahead of you guys is Alabama whose losses were against #1 Auburn (close game),
#10 LSU (close game) and #19 South Carolina.

Yea, A&M's losses don't look so bad now, do they.

#7 Arkansas - 7 point loss
#12 Missouri - ugly game
#14 Oklahoma St. - 3 point loss as time expired.

Wins over #9 Oklahoma (dominated) and #13 Nebraska (close 3 point win).

But, the only 3 loss team ahead of you guys is Alabama whose losses were against #1 Auburn (close game),
#10 LSU (close game) and #19 South Carolina.

Yeah, it just is frustrating because this wouldn't be an issue if Sherman hadn't been so damn stubborn keeping Jerrod Johnson out there when his mechanics were obviously shot after the shoulder surgery and the guy couldn't freaking hit the broad side of a barn. Tannehill should have been in as the starter after the FIU game that we almost lost due to something like 3 INTs from Johnson.

If Tannehill had been playing, I feel confident in saying this is a 1, and maybe 2, loss team. Honestly, if Tannehill had been in there, I believe we'd have beaten Arkansas.

I'm actually fairly happy with the way Sherman handled the JJ/Tannehill question. There's a fine line he was dancing when making the switch because JJ was the unquestioned leader of the team.

If Sherm just made the switch cold turkey because of the FIU game, he could of fractured the team into separate factions depending on players feelings on how he handled the situation/or their feelings for the players. It's evident that he handled it correctly by how magnanimously JJ has accepted his new role on the team and how helpful/ready/supportive he is for RT.

Also, the team's spirits and morale are as high as I've ever seen at such a high level for so many players. Offensive, defensive, ST, it doesn't matter; everyone is in it for the team, which is great to see and somewhat rare nowadays it seems.

In the end, yeah, it might of cost us the Arkansas game, and possibly the OSU game, (pretty sure we were gonna get wrecked by Mizzou the way they were playing going into that game) but remember JJ did throw five TDs against OSU, and did have us only a touchdown behind one of the better teams in America, so it's not a guarantee we would have won those games. I'm not saying I'm not ecstatic with RT running the show like he is ('cause I am), but rather that it's impossible to say/know without having it happened... and truthfully, I'm glad RT's first actual playing time came against a Kansas team who is awful and gave him time to get adjusted to running the offense against a real opponent and not a scout team, and then the Tech team who had a very thin secondary this year. Starting off with Arky to OSU to Mizzou would not be easy for an essentially rookie QB (actual game-time).

As for the Cotton Bowl, I'm beyond excited, already bought tickets online with the fam so we're all gonna be up there for it.

Bring on the swamp kitties!!!!

don't feel like making a whole new thread so will just add in here...

first, congrats to Von Miller for winning the Butkus award!!! as far as I'm concerned, he was one of the best defensive players in the nation the last eight games or so.. he may not show up in the stat sheets, but he was integral to our success on defense to close out the season.

secondly, here's a season recap/cotton bowl promo a guy made that got me really fired up so I figured I'd have to share with my other Aggie buds here!!!

Gig 'em!!!

http://sites.google.com/site/myamvideos/

I am not an aggie fan but was impressed with thier season, And it is a shame that Jerrah has stuck his nose into college football, I remember going to the cotton Bowl many times as a kid and in the new stadium it just does not seem the same. The Jery Bowl Haha

I may be wrong, but I believe the only common opponent these teams met was Arkansas. Both lost, but I believe we lost that game because Tannehill wasn't our starter at that time. With that said, I'm picking the Aggies in this one, close game... 24 - 21.

How do you guys in Texas now view the pecking order for signing High School
football talent ? After A&Ms "breakout" season coupled with UTs disastrous year of 2010 when they don't even qualify for a bowl game, has Sherman/A&M
significantly closed the gap between to the 2 schools or is UT still way out ahead in signing the states best recruits ?

football talent ? After A&Ms "breakout" season coupled with UTs disastrous year of 2010 when they don't even qualify for a bowl game, has Sherman/A&M
significantly closed the gap between to the 2 schools or is UT still way out ahead in signing the states best recruits ?

UT still has more money to get the best players.

I am not an aggie fan but was impressed with thier season, And it is a shame that Jerrah has stuck his nose into college football, I remember going to the cotton Bowl many times as a kid and in the new stadium it just does not seem the same. The Jery Bowl Haha

It's a disgrace. The Cotton Bowl has more history than pretty much every stadium out there not named the Rose Bowl. But it's all about money these days, and the Cotton Bowl isn't new enough, or fancy enough, and it doesn't have enough box seats, so it gets thrown to the side.

It takes 2 or 3 years of sustained success or failure to make a major change. Recruiting for 2011 is all but over and 2012 is half done already for both A&M and texas. 2012 may have some changes, but 2013 will be one to watch to see if more big time recruits start signing with A&M more than texas.

I'm just happy the Ag's are goin' to a Bowl game. It's nice to see. Even though I'm a die hard Horns fan. I still root for the Ag's.. they're like the little train that could. Plus, my daughter will be going there in a year and a half.. so I'm kinda forced to. LOL

67997891970523799.png

If you go to rivals.com and look up the football recruiting you will see the gap is still pretty wide in favor of t.u. (t.u. is #1 in the nation and A&M #37). I do look for the gap to close a little as the signing date approaches but not that much. This gap has been like this for a long time with t.u. always vying for a top 5 recruiting class and A&M maybe getting into the top 25.

Believe it or not, I think the recruiting has picked up since Sherman arrived. Despite a lot of the Aggie fans criticism of Sherman not being a good college coach since he arrived, there are some recruits that want to play for a coach who was successful on a pro level and may help them make that next jump. Also, with the addition of DeRuyter and Dat Nguyen, it should boost the recruiting of defensive players.

I guess the bottom line is, you have to make do with what you get, and coaching plays a big part. Boise St. and TCU have done pretty well with what they get, and it ain't top 5 talent. Also, a players heart doesn't show up a lot of times on stat sheets and film. A 3 star recruit with a lot of heart might turn out to be a better player than a 5 star recruit with little or no heart for the game. JMHO!

Last edited:
Back