Texans zero in on drafting a top-quality cornerback

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by srrono, Mar 1, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

If the Texans want to fill one of their most glaring needs and select a cornerback in the first round of the draft, Nebraska's Prince Amukamara is the most likely candidate.

full story

If the Texans were to trade up for a corner it better be Patrick Peterson.
    Prince Amukamara seems to be a slower CB and we all ready have a young corner who is not a burner. The DBs are running Tuesday at the combine so hopefully I am wrong about Prince's speed actually hopefully John McClain is wrong and the Texans do not draft another DB early with all the def talent I would hope at 11 we can find a strong starter with out giving up additional picks we need all the help we can get.

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

With scouts projecting both Peterson & Amukamura as FS, I can't get too excited about either of these guys. We've already got two corners (Quin & Allen) & possibly a third (Jackson).

I want a true corner, not a projected safety.

With luck, one of the big bodied DTs will fall to us & get a corner in the second.

3. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

i say wait till second or move back into the late first for a corner, take best available at 11

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Agreed

Is Amukamara or Smith really that much better than A.Williams or D.House? Both Willians and House should br available in the late 1st or when Rick and Gary are going thru their 3 stooges routine in the 2nd rd.

5. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

No, no let's not use our top Draft pick for another CB this year who would then be starting in his rookie year, just like last years top pick. Bad idea.

RTP2110 and Señor Stan like this.
  6. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Prince just ran his first 40 unofficial 4.37

7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Good then he'll bump Von Miller one spot closer to Texans

8. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Nah, Miller wont fall anywhere near the Texans. Teams love him. This does either make him a more attractive option for the Texans, or bumps another player down. Either way, good stuff.

9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Miller won't get out of the top 7. Both DBs will be gone before the Texans pick too. Prince won't make it past the Cowboys if he is there. Peterson won't make it close to there either. As for the switch to safety, that is just fluff talk and I'll believe it when I see it. Prince is a real shut down cover corner who basically, despite some speed issues is considered a pro ready cover corner. Switching a guy to safety isn't just an easy thing and that will put them in an unnatural position and cause growing pains. If they do it because of speed then they alot of these top 10 teams need safety too. So I can't see them dropping.

From Mayock

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...e-cowboys-top-draft-pick-prince-amukamara.ece

10. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

We seem to be pretty bad at scouting DBs and DL. Maybe we should just trade the pick and get someone we know can play

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

That would be a smart thing to do. Seeing the track record of Rick and Gary on draft day.

12. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Miller runs in the low 4.5s, but Justin Houston is 25 lbs bigger and runs sub
    4.7. Really, which one has the more impressive performance ?

13. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

WRs get separation from the CB in the first few steps from the LOS.... 40 time has zero relevance on whether a player is "quick" or not.

I've been down on Amukara since the Oklahoma St game... but everybody has a bad day here or there. I think we're painted into a corner (no pun intended) at cornerback... we need a veteran to start there. We can't afford to go through a rookie's growing pains just to develop in a couple years.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'm just going by what scouts are saying. No one in particular.....

Which is odd, because he said pretty much the exact opposite on NFLN. He talked about "tightness" saying Prince doesn't have the fluidity he needs to be a top Corner. He can play Corner, but he'll only be avg, maybe a little better than avg. But he thinks he can be a Pro Bowl Safety.

15. Ole Miss Texan

I like reading Drew Boylhardt. He think both Peterson and Amukara could be safeties. Problem he sees with Prince is that his change of direction isn't top level and the quicker WRs will beat him and get separation. He's got the speed to catch up but there's more separation there than you would like. Catch, tackle, first down.

Having a safety that can come up on the line of scrimmage and cover a WR would be really nice though!! Just bc he's a safety doesn't mean he has to play back all the time. Especially near the red zone.

16. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Deon Sanders just said that Brandon Harris has impressed him the most when it comes to the corner drills. On the other hand Prince was not very impressive, especially when he stood straight up before turning around in the back-peddle drill.

17. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Prince has safety skills

18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I know, I keep reading the same stuff about safety for Prince but it is weird that I've also seen quotes like above and from Day 1 have heard he is the most "pro" ready. So we will see. If the Cowboys see him as a safety, they may pass and look at one of the 3-4 DE/LB at that spot. I think they would rather bring in a FA or try Ball again, then get a rookie up to speed at a new position. I could be wrong.

Here is some more info..Dane Brugler

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...prince-akukamara-he-could-play-safety-too.ece

19. VTexan

VTexan The Realist

What you said:

What I heard:

My reaction:

[​IMG]

20. Ole Miss Texan

I love the NFL Draft. All seems so certain during February and March and we always get surprises on Draft Day. I love it I love it!

Von Miller and Prince Amukara could slip and both be available at 11. We all think that's unlikely now.. but it's one of those surprises that could happen. I see Marcel Dareus as a virtual lock to go Top 7... I think he's a the least chance to be available for us than the other two.