Texans Working Out Lots of Players "Behind Closed Doors"

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Oct 23, 2013.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Lots of activity:

2. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Well with WR, KR, and QB getting try-outs it looks to me like backup QB is up for grabs and so is Martin's job.

Now if only we could have ST coach try-outs.

3. bOODRO87

bOODRO87 Time Consumer

Gary Kubiak Texans Football TM

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

* snore *

Does anyone really think Kubiak is going to do something extraordinary?

5. santo

santo Hall of Fame

Actually it's Rick Smith and the scouting department trying to redeem themeselves. :specnatz:

6. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

I saw this yesterday and got too busy to post it. I don't know if it has been posted yet.

Link.

Other than White, all those guys are receivers. Pat White would likely be trying out as a receiver/returner.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Does it really f'ing matter who returns kicks? Are they serious about that? We had someone who turned out to be the best kick returner in the game and he looked like utter garbage here.

Christ, this team is freaking ridiculous. At least when we sucked before we knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel, in this case I think we're going to be stuck with Kubes and his merry men (including Wade- I want him replaced too) for YEARS. God, I am just disgusted with this team. Thank God I'm not a season ticket holder or have any vested financial interest in them because I'd be even more furious. FIRE THEM ALL!!!!!!!!

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Doesn't Karim return kicks? Sounds like Deji might be getting a call.

9. Arky

Arky Veteran

10. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

Most obvious signing IMO.

11. Brisco_County

[​IMG]

12. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Joe Adams was terrible with Carolina.

13. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

Then he should be great here. Marciano turns great return men into...wait. Never mind.

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

We'd be better off not sending anybody back to return kicks. Touchbacks would probably improve our starting field position by 10 yards.

15. CloakNNNdagger

Mentioned his name at the top of my list as soon as a need for RB was evident.

16. Pollardized

Pollardized Division Champ

Put that worthless Derek Newton back there to return. He's too damn slow to get out of the end zone before he was tackled anyway.

HOU-TEX likes this.
  17. CloakNNNdagger

He was hardly used as a WR.........9 games 3 receptions (4.3 yds ave).

As a returner:

23 yds ave (31 longest) for 9 kick returns (7 longer than 20yds), and 11.5 yds ave (21 longest) for 9 punt returns is nothing to snub (2012).

The problem is that he had Jacoby Syndrome..........1 KO fumble and 3 PR fumbles........he lost 3 of those fumbles.............

18. Brisco_County

I missed the Skelton mention. That means that Pat White would be considered for QB too.

BOOM.

That's the big story here. We have three QB's on the roster, and we're trying out another. A drastic move is about to be made, and I think it's a Matt Schaub trade. Other than the fact that we're trying out QB's, consider:

- Jeff Fisher has schemed against Schaub for seven years, and has seen Schaub at his best. Schaub would be a major step up from what they have now in Brady Quinn.

- Fans have turned against Schaub. If you doubt that's a major factor, consider how it was the key reason for releasing Jacoby Jones early, according to Jacoby's agent.

Link.

Jacoby never had his Jersey burned in the Reliant parking lot. He never had a hamburger named after his mistakes. Jacoby never had a replacement at his position who immediately outshined him, yet he still had to move.

Schaub is not Jacoby, but their confidence has been comparably diminished. And they have both been referred to as "Public Enemy No. 1." in Houston. In both cases, a fresh start is/was best for them. It would make sense that either Schaub or his agent have requested a trade in the interest of a fresh start, and to get away from rabid fans. In a way, the success of Keenum in his debut may have been the best case scenario for Schaub's interests, because it provided a smooth exit.

The schism between Schaub and fans is irreparable, so Matt Schaub is leaving Houston mid season. Count on it.

19. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

I liked Ramses Barden pre injury, huge receiver.

Rest of them I'm pretty meh about.

20. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I won't go as far as to say I'll eat my hat if Schaub is traded, but it would be incredibly surprising to see him be moved for a few reasons.

1. He's damaged goods. Nobody around the league is going to give up much for him, and he's not worth building around.

2. He's past his prime. Too old to really be a building block for a team, if someone like Russel Wilson went down for the year, then I could see the Seahawks desperately trying to maintain their status. The Rams, I just can't see doing it.

3. He sucks. 4 pick 6's in 6 games this year, a lack of confidence, and a hurt ankle. No, nobody wants to trade for that player.

4. His contract. Matt makes 7.25 million in salary this year. 3.4 of it has been paid already, 3.85 of it is still due and would be paid by the team acquiring him. That's not too expensive for the new team, but for the Texans his contract is unmanageable. Matt has 14 million in signing bonus that still counts against the cap, and 10.5m of that will be accelerated to this year's cap if he's moved. That means moving Schaub in any way will make him cost at least 17.4m against the cap this year. His original cap number this year was 10.75m, so that's an extra 6.65m that needs to be accounted for.

The Texans currently have 2.848m in cap space, which means moving Schaub would put them 3.802 million over the cap. In order to move Schaub, you would need to find another 3.802 million in cuts for this team to stay under the salary cap. That would require trading guys like Antonio Smith and/or Wade Smith to make it work, and good luck finding anyone willing to pay for those guys.

thunderkyss likes this.