Texans Work out FS Ward

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

seems they are still looking at every FS prospect out there.

2. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

What happened to Will Demps? Has he played any?

3. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

A free agent safety who played for a team that the Texans are going to play.

They should work everyone with a pulse out at safety, btw.

4. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Here's what I know about BJ Ward:

Anybody wish to add anything?

5. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

:laughjump:

According to here that is about all there is to know.

Undrafted, been in the NFL 2 years, went to Florida State, born in Dallas.

Played for Baltimore in 05 and then with Oakland this year - haven't a clue where he was last year. At home on the sofa, perhaps. Has a grand total of 2 tackles this year.

Why do I think this isn't much of an improvement over what we have now - unless he is one of Smith's little pearls just sitting out there waiting for the right time/the right team.

6. Vinny

he's a hell of a special teamer. He is the all time leading kick blocker at Florida State with 7. Nobody else in the long history of that team has more than 2. He is 6'3 and has prototype size at FS...once played WR for Florida State early in his career also....so he is a good athlete.

7. Errant Hothy

hmmm. I'm a little interested, mainly due to his special teams potential and the fact that Richard Smith is invovled.

8. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

So a week before the Colts game we work out one of their cut players, then the week before the Titans game we work out Woolfolk (formerly from the Titans).

Hmm...interesting pattern.

9. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Here are some comments I found on a Ravens message board about BJ Ward. Seems like he was a guy the fans were fairly high on at the beginning due to his physical abilities, but between his migraine problems and the mental breakdowns on the field, he eventually wore out his welcome.

I also found some short video clips of him from a past training camp.

http://extremeravens.com/multimedia/videos_and_film/bj_ward_tackles_quinn_sypniewski/

http://extremeravens.com/multimedia/videos_and_film/hit_of_the_day%3a_bj_ward/

http://extremeravens.com/multimedia/videos_and_film/bj_ward_goes_for_another_hit/

http://extremeravens.com/multimedia/videos_and_film/bj_ward_crushes_daniel_wilcox/

http://extremeravens.com/multimedia/videos_and_film/bj_ward_called_for_interference/

http://extremeravens.com/multimedia/videos_and_film/tres_moses_vs_bj_ward/

10. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

The kid obviously has the physical ability to be a player in the NFL. It's just a matter of if we can coach him up to be a smarter player out on the field. If so, this could turn out to be another good find by Rick Smith.

11. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

He was so athletic with the Canes that, you might remember, they always referred to him as "Super Freak."

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

That's what I heard also. By the way, you get props for the way you expressed this information leaving out no details.

13. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

There was a thread a few weeks ago (maybe as long ago as preseason), where one of the Texans' plays was 3rd out of the top 10 plays of the week. In the video of the top 10, BJ Ward got trucked by some RB going into the end zone, a la Urlacher v. Bettis. Someone even commented in the thread, asking who it was that got trucked. It was Ward.

That doesn't mean anything; I just figured I'd add that tidbit.

14. Matt

Matt Blogfather

I think you are referring to Ronnie Brown running over him two or three weeks ago. I would laugh at Ward, but we didn't exactly lay Ronnie out ourselves.

15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

At the beginning of the 2006 season, he was IR'ed to sit out the entire season for severe migraine headaches.

16. amazingandre

amazingandre All Pro

so we are getting a guy with migraine problems, and a guy who isnt physical...shown possible by ronnie brown....and someone who has 2 tackles in his career??? im pumped......:rolleyes:

17. real

real Guest

18. Errant Hothy

We've got plenty of safeties who are capable of stepping up and helping stop the run, so I doubt the fact that Ward got trucked by Brown will matter to anybody but us fans (and by the way, how many FS in the NFL would not get run over by Ronnie Brown, espically the way he has been playing of late?).

What we need at the FS is a centerfeilder. Now is Ward that guy, I don't know. He has all the physical meaurements to be succesful. I think his issue may be mental. He was ejected from a game in '05 for making contact with a ref, he also apperantly got a lecture from Billick in '06 after taking a few "cheap shots" at some temamates in camp. I think he might be alot like Peek, all motor and aggression and not able to slow down the game mentally to make the right play. We shall see if he gets signs, which since it has yet to happen I'm becoming to think that Ward didn't impress the staff enought to warrant a signing.

As for the 2 tackles, that's a "meh" to me, I think our secondary recordS to many tackels as it is, but thats another topic.

19. Vinny

yep, it is no coincidence that Faggins led the team in tackles last week...in a week the defense was destroyed on the ground.