Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Won't Rule Out Drafting QB

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Some posters on another site I frequent suggest Schaub may have just had a "dead" arm the last 6 weeks. After the Jags and Lions over time games, he started falling off. He threw A LOT of passes prior to New England game and on. Coming off a year he did not finish and then throwing a career high at that point in the season could have led to a "dead" arm, similar to baseball pitchers. Not making excuses, as I am very vocal about not liking Schaub, but it brings another point of view to the discussion.

Also, I think I have found a VERY telling stat about qb mobility. Im talking about avoiding rushers in the pocket and moving side to side, front and back, no scrambling like RG3 or Wilson. The 3 cone drill is a VERY telling stat, even qbs who run poor 40 times and we deem unathletic, but better in the pocket compared to Schaub have good 3 cone times. Compared to Schaubs (league worse as a starter, from what I have found) 7.65

Some posters on another site I frequent suggest Schaub may have just had a "dead" arm the last 6 weeks. After the Jags and Lions over time games, he started falling off. He threw A LOT of passes prior to New England game and on. Coming off a year he did not finish and then throwing a career high at that point in the season could have led to a "dead" arm, similar to baseball pitchers. Not making excuses, as I am very vocal about not liking Schaub, but it brings another point of view to the discussion.
I think there is allot of truth behind that theory. He looked like a pitcher with a dead arm, with no velocity, which if anybody understand mechanics of throwing, a pitcher and QB have very similar mechanics.

Schaub's balls in the beginning of the year had a little zip on them, and at the end the tended to float...

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !

Also, I think I have found a VERY telling stat about qb mobility. Im talking about avoiding rushers in the pocket and moving side to side, front and back, no scrambling like RG3 or Wilson. The 3 cone drill is a VERY telling stat, even qbs who run poor 40 times and we deem unathletic, but better in the pocket compared to Schaub have good 3 cone times. Compared to Schaubs (league worse as a starter, from what I have found) 7.65
What do OL run ? Brandon Brooks ran a 7.37 .

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Maybe the Texans thought something like this. What does frustrate me, are those passes that we saw intercepted, when we tried to go down field. The Two in Indy especially. "Oops.... we threw an interception, let's never try that again" totally does not make any sense at all. None.

If at first you don't succeed, try try again.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Case Keenum ran a 6.87 as compared to Luck 6.80 and Kaepernick 6.85.
That is better than many QBs considered very mobile over the last couple of years.
Wilson 6.97; Dalton 6.93; Newton 6.92; Yates 6.96; Cousins 7.05

CretorFrigg

Fire Rick Smith
Case Keenum ran a 6.87 as compared to Luck 6.80 and Kaepernick 6.85.
That is better than many QBs considered very mobile over the last couple of years.
Wilson 6.97; Dalton 6.93; Newton 6.92; Yates 6.96; Cousins 7.05
If that is true, then Schaub's 7.65 time is just sad. This was when he was young, before his injury. Now he's even slower and less mobile, if that's even possible.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
If that is true, then Schaub's 7.65 time is just sad. This was when he was young, before his injury. Now he's even slower and less mobile, if that's even possible.
If it makes you feel better, Schaub outran Rivers and Brady in the 40 yard dash.

I believe Peyton was pretty bad too, but this site only record back to 1999.

http://nflcombineresults.com/nflcombinedata.php?year=&pos=QB&college=

If I remember correctly, Peyton's time was so bad that some made fun of him as running a 40 in 7 seconds.

I think his 3-cone might have been worse than Schaub.

There was a story about how the Colts even discussed Ryan Leaf, but Polian and his staffs considered Manning's intangibles so highly, they didn't think athleticism as a really big deal.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
If it makes you feel better, Schaub outran Rivers and Brady in the 40 yard dash.

If I remember correctly, Peyton's time was so bad that some made fun of him as running a 40 in 7 seconds.

There was a story about how the Colts even discussed Ryan Leaf, but Polian and his staffs considered Manning's intangibles so highly, they didn't think athleticism as a really big deal.

Like I said, 40 times are useless IMO for a qb, its all about 3 cone and Schaub is BY FAR the worst in the league. at 7.65, his 40 time was 5.01 or something. Brady who has the slowest 40 time like ever lol at 5.28, ran a 7.2 3 cone, thus his ability to move in the pocket, his COD is better and can move laterally much better.

amazing80

Hall of Fame

If I was a betting man my money would be on Manning being around 7.3 in his cone drill....but I cant find it

76Texan

Hall of Fame
If I was a betting man my money would be on Manning being around 7.3 in his cone drill....but I cant find it
I'll take your bet for a six pack that he's slower if we can find the record.
Maybe I'll see you at the tailgate sometimes next year. :texflag:

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Manning has QB drills on youtube . I'd have a hard time believing he's slower than Schaub .
Well all of that stuff was years ago any way. I don't see how you could argue that Schaub would be faster then anyone in the NFL at this point. His last attempt to run it into the end zone was hilarious it was so badly in slow motion as he started moving. That lineman totally stopped him in his tracks. Most slow QB's would have blown right past that guy to score, but Schaub couldn't do it even when he tried on that sneak.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
Well all of that stuff was years ago any way. I don't see how you could argue that Schaub would be faster then anyone in the NFL at this point. His last attempt to run it into the end zone was hilarious it was so badly in slow motion as he started moving. That lineman totally stopped him in his tracks. Most slow QB's would have blown right past that guy to score, but Schaub couldn't do it even when he tried on that sneak.
If Schaub would get in the shotgun , he'd be where he was trying to go .