Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans will draft a RB in the 1st or 2nd

Thanks to John McClain, I can quickly some up what has many of us so frustrated with this LB in the first round talk.... From today's chat, I'm going to post 2 of his responses, both within 10 minutes of each other.

The first question asked him, "any chance the Texans take BPA after signing Cato June?"

McClain: " They'll take the best player available at a need position. June was cut by the Bucs remember. I don't see him starting over Adidi unless Adibi's injured. Which could happen."

second question: "If Beanie Wells falls to them, any chance the Texans take him or trade down?"

McClain: "They wont take a back in the first round..."

Okay, that's crazy! McClain is saying that RB isn't a need position. What planet am I on that a team could be content with Ryan Moats getting 10 carries a game and have no backupa? What's even more humorous is that I could also show you many McClain quotes that state the Texans want to keep Slaton's touches under 20 per game. Add to that, I could show you quotes from McClain to the effect that the Texans want to average over 30 rushes per game. So, you do the math! McClain is also adamant that the Texans won't take a RB in the second round.

My suggestion is that he, and anyone else that agrees with him, rewatch the Chicago game. Watch the offense suck up the joint when Slaton was pulled from the game and Moats was in the game. Then, watch the offense with Slaton in the game... Then, come back to this message board and explain to me how RB isn't a need. Realize also, that if the Texans rush the ball 30 times a game (very conservative estimate, by the way), that would equate to 480 carries. I would like someone to tell me how many of those carries to they expect Slaton to handle and what the heck is the team to do if he gets injured!?

Maybe they are saying that because they dont want anyone to know they really do want a RB.

Maybe they are saying that because they dont want anyone to know they really do want a RB.

I have to believe that. It would be devastating to my faith and trust in Smithiak if there draft plan was simply to stay put and take a LB and to dismiss any thoughts of taking a RB before the 3rd round. If that's what is going on, then give me Charlie freakin' Casserly back!

dalemurphy you are always putting good info out there so I'm not here to disagree with you. I'm a defensive guy so all I'm saying is I would much rather prefer a top defensive prospect in the 1st than an offensive one. If Jenkins and Matthews are gone then I'm okay with an offensive guy, but defense is my priority.

I have to believe that. It would be devastating to my faith and trust in Smithiak if there draft plan was simply to stay put and take a LB and to dismiss any thoughts of taking a RB before the 3rd round. If that's what is going on, then give me Charlie freakin' Casserly back!

...No...Just no...

I'm all for BPA really. It is looking more and more to me like the BPA will be an offensive player at this point and Wells or Moreno should both be there. I would rather have Wells since he would be a bruiser to Slaton's quickness. If we couldn't get Wells with our 15th pick I wouldn't mind them going after Shonn Greene with a late 1st round pick either or unless he ends up being there with their 2nd pick but I doubt he falls that far. Then use the rest of the draft on defense practically. We will need another RB for sure. I would hate to go back to the awful running game we had before Slaton got here.

I could accept Moreno or Donald Brown, but there is no way in this beautiful green earth I'd ever want that poon Beanie Wells on my team. None what so ever.

I could accept Moreno or Donald Brown, but there is no way in this beautiful green earth I'd ever want that poon Beanie Wells on my team. None what so ever.

I don't know what poon is.

And why don't you explain what your deal is with Wells and why you hate the guy? He is exactly the type of RB that the Texans need right now.

I don't know what poon is.

And why don't you explain what your deal is with Wells and why you hate the guy? He is exactly the type of RB that the Texans need right now.

Means he's a wussy. He missed the 2nd half of a bowl game with some mystery injury. He just seems soft for a bruiser.

Power back available after first round include; Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings, Cedric Peerman, Andre Brown, Javarris Williams and Gartrell Johnson.

Power back available after first round include; Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings, Cedric Peerman, Andre Brown, Javarris Williams and Gartrell Johnson.

I wouldn't include Peerman in that group. He does weight between 210-215 but he relies on his quickness.

Peerman will try to run around you before he tries to go through you. I wouldn't consider him to be a "power" back.

I wouldn't include Peerman in that group. He does weight between 210-215 but he relies on his quickness.

Peerman will try to run around you before he tries to go through you. I wouldn't consider him to be a "power" back.

And while fans came drool over their ideal "power back" compliment to Slaton, that doesn't mean Kubiak and Gibbs are going to put power over one cut and go. Nor should they.

And while fans came drool over their ideal "power back" compliment to Slaton, that doesn't mean Kubiak and Gibbs are going to put power over one cut and go. Nor should they.

Agreed.

I've probably been the most outspoken on this board about taking the best back available for our system instead of drafting a less talented back just because he is bigger.

He weighed 216 and ran 4.45 but Walters has him at 211. He can easily go 220. I agree that he will runa around a tackler but can power also. I am hoping for a Jennings or Greene earlier and then Peerman as a quicker back to emulate Slaton.

Agreed.

I've probably been the most outspoken on this board about taking the best back available for our system instead of drafting a less talented back just because he is bigger.

I've expressed my interest in this philosophy over just picking a power back as well on this board.

We do need a goal line guy, but we also need just another running back who can be "the guy" for a couple games, maybe even a season if something happens to Slaton.

Outside Raji, Orakpo, and Curry, there really aren't defensive players that grab your attention

Take a playmaker, whatever side of the ball.

Cal fullback Will Ta’ufo’ou ..................5'11,” 253-pound bruising blocker.................Ta’ufo’ou never fumbled in four seasons and wasn’t tackled for a loss........

Added running backs coach Ron Gould: “Will is the toughest player I have ever coached.”

Ta’ufo’ou was a standout high school running back who developed into a fullback at the collegiate level, where he blocked for Marshawn Lynch and J.J. Arrington.

“I have really come to appreciate blocking,” said Ta’ufo’ou, who graduated from Cal with honors. ”The feeling of getting a good clean block, pancake them or pop their helmet off, whatever, a big hit, something that’s going to change the play.”

Can you image this bruiser in there with Leach in the Red zone and on short yardage plays? Consideration could be given to revert him back to his original RB position to use him interchangeably with FB. [URL="http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092908aap.html"[Read this article on the bruiser][/URL]

Further reasoning for the Texans taking a back in the first two rounds:

You don't know if the later round guys THAT YOU LIKE will be available when you pick.

Lets just imagine that the Texans really do believe that a fourth or third round rated RB would be the perfect compliment/assistant starter.

Well, unless they like a lot of other prospect in that range, is it really that safe to bank on one or two guys being around when you make those later picks? You'd almost have to have the perfect storm, reach or trade up.

If we are to assume that the Texans will wait until later rounds to fill a position of need then we are assuming that they like a lot of backs in the later rounds and I just don't see that as likely. That's taking a pretty big risk to get an extremely important position filled, because if the few backs that you like from later rounds are gone when you pick then you are forced to pick a guy that you didn't really care for...

I do think that they will draft one early, and if there is another back in the later rounds that they really like, I think they may take another...

Also, I think all of this defense talk is a good smoke screen. RB is a really important position for us to look at in the draft, but it has not been given much credence. If the Texans really do like one of those first or second round backs, then the more people that think there is no way we take one there the better. Please delete this thread.

Can you image this bruiser in there with Leach in the Red zone and on short yardage plays? Consideration could be given to revert him back to his original RB position to use him interchangeably with FB. [URL="http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092908aap.html"[Read this article on the bruiser][/URL]

Nice find.

Question. If Bennie Wells and Knowshon Moreno were considered top 5 prospects, would people miraculously want a RB to drop to #15 so we could take them?

It just seems to me that sometimes we want what we cant have.

I would be happy taking a stud RB like Moreno, but there really is less than a 5% chance we do that.

I'm just thinking that there aren't no other real prospects that are better or worth it aside from those guys if they fall that far to 15.

Back