Texans: What were you wrong about?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Hervoyel, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Ok, here's an idea I had for a thread that is technically a Texans subject but it's got just as much to do with each of the message board posters and how they approach rooting for "our" team.

What I'd like to know is what one (or more if you're so inclined) thing were you completely wrong about since the Texans started play in 2002? What player that didn't work out did you think was going to make a difference to this team or what player that you thought was useless turned out to be an asset? Name one thing about the Texans that you were positive would be one way and instead turned out completely different.

If you would like you can also throw in something you were positive about and got 100% correct.

For me that "thing I got wrong" would be Tony Boselli's shoulder. I bought that story hook, line, and sinker and thought he was going to play for us right up until the night that SoCal came here and leaked that Tony would retire the next day. Now being wrong about one player isn't that big a deal but it started (at least for me) a period of two or so years where I bought into every crazy idea the coaching staff came up with right up until they foisted Victor Riley on us. That's when I got wise, aa little later than I should have IMO.

Cutting the sacks down in 2003 helped convince me that we were just about there (as soon as Tony gets on the field we'll have a heck of an offensive line!) but now, looking back on it all I honestly don't think the people we had putting the whole thing together were even close to being on the same page (Dom, Chris, and later Joe Pendry) and so you could have probably given them 5-7 Pro Bowl linemen and they still would have looked like they didn't know what they were doing.

My second completely wrong about that story was Tony Hollings. I thought Hollings was going to be some kind of Terrell Davis who we lucked out and stole in the supplemental draft. I could not have been more wrong about a player. Tony couldn't have been more ordinary. I'm not sure but I think we've signed better street free agents than this guy. What an obscene waste of a 2.

2. KKHouston

KKHouston Veteran

P. Buc

3. jdog

jdog All Pro

I thought Dom Capers was a good coach.

I thought we would have a winning season last year.

I thought we should draft Reggie Bush.

I thought Gaffney was going to step up last year.

I thought Buchanon would start at CB this year.

I thought we should have hired Al Saunders.

4. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Ok, i'LL admit it. When Sharper and Glenn were released, I actually bought into the younger, faster defense idea.

5. Jwwillis

Jwwillis All Pro

I was wrong about

Hollings
    Pbuc
    The entire 2005 season - (I was an anti-sky-is-falling poster last year in preseason...and the sky fell)
    Miller
    Gaffney

6. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I messed up on Hollings as well. I actually thought maybe theyll spend a 2nd on this great GA Tech RB that has speed...then they actually did it. The problem is that I really didn't know much of anything about NFL football/drafts back then. (I didn't really start following the game again until Houston/Dallas squared off in 2002). So I definitely missed on him being a great runner.

7. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

good thread idea herv ....

My first reaction to the PBuc trade was akin to smelling dogc**p .... (right, so far)
    My first reaction to the Wade signing was a smile .......... (wrong wrong wrong)

8. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

I wanted Ragone to start... Perhaps I still do ;)

9. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

Being a huge Georgia Tech fan, I am going with the consensus on Hollings.

I watched the kid play at Tech and was amazed. When I found out the Texans drafted him I was ecstatic. But we all know how that story ends.

10. Jwwillis

Jwwillis All Pro

This is starting to feel like a theropy thread.

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Boselli and Babin

12. Jwwillis

Jwwillis All Pro

Actually it hasn't ended. He plays for da Bears. I still wish the kid good.

13. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I was wrong about . . .

the 3-4 defense.

I thought that, given at least 4 years of molding and acquiring the right players . . . Capers would have a Steeler type defense that would be the identity of the team.

I still can't understand why it didn't turn out that way.

14. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I still buy into that.

For me it all starts with the coaching staff. I was sure Capers and the 3-4 D would be a great thing. I mean look how successful everyone else was with it.

15. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I completely thought that Mathis would develop into our #2 receiver
    I believed Robinson + Buchannon would be the best CB duo in the NFL
    I thought Joppru would come back every year
    I thought we were going to sign Orlando Pace
    I thought we were going to the playoffs last year

16. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I was wrong about Boselli. I was wrong about Jermaine Lewis, Ryan Young was supposed to be our young tackle of the future on the right side until injuries.

I bought into the younger leaner faster defense.. for 2005, I thought we had hope for the OL after the 2004 season.

milford brown, I thought would be with us still (reading the draft bios) and I figured Hollings was a boom or bust thin, but went with the potential that Hollings gave, so I imagine I was wrong about that too..

17. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Capers, I actually thought he would be a good head caoch.
    Bossellie - thought it was just a matter of time
    Wade - I guess I just wanted an O-line so bad.
    That We would be better on Defense just because we got younger.

18. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah All Pro

I was wrong for buying into Casserly's nonsense.

19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

No, actually he's moved on again. He's a Colt now. So far this preseason he has zero carries and one reception for 8 yards if I'm not mistaken.

In the meantime if you go to NFL.com and look at the individual rushing stats Houston has 3 guys in the top 30. Lundy is #3, Morency is at 7, and Chris Taylor is at 30. Proves nothing but while these guys are in motion Tony is still basically in "Park" just like he was for 3 years here in Houston.

This is a running offense. We're gonna run and run and run some more. If there was anything to find in Tony Hollings I think Kubiak & Co. would have spotted it and at least made an effort to get him to come back on the cheap to test drive him.

20. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

Capers turning this team into a playoff contender in the second or 3rd yr.