Texans want to see new, improved version of Jones

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MojoMan, May 28, 2008.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Here is an actual football article in today's Chronicle on the Texan's expectations of Jacoby Jones this season:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5804830.html

Sounds like he has a lot to prove to the coaches. All I know is he is really exciting to watch when he plays well.

2. Xetuoh1836

Xetuoh1836 Rookie

What's not unusual is the author of the article isn't Jabba McClown!

I'm hoping that Jacoby has a breakout season!

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think the injury played a greater role when JJ returned than many know. If he returns to 2007 pre-season form, we could have the best WR corps in NFL.

4. Dallas_Texan

Dallas_Texan Veteran

Couldn't agree more with both points. I can't wait for Preseason!!! I live in Dallas, and they don't offer the NFL Ticket where I live, it's Time Warner only, but I will be listening to every game in my 110 degree car!! And I'll be at the Texans/Cowboys game tailgating all day!:fans: :fans:

5. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

It must suck to be you! I dont know if I could stand listening to Dallas fans rant about their 5 rings. Like they just won them yesterday. I would have to :gun:

6. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Off topic but...

I'm going to school in Iowa starting in the Fall. Is there anyway I can watch the Texans games online?

7. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

While they are on sale next month, go buy a nice Parka. You'll thank me come Christmas Break.

Well we'll see if Double S has the gonads for gunner blocker duty off the bat. TTP book says no way Jose. I think double S is as tough a wet noodle. I'm hoping they find that out before he gets someone killed.

8. NBT

NBT Veteran

I think you are being a little presumtuous on double S, as you call Steve Slaton. He is a little (lot) light in the butt for gunner on ST's, though. Lighten up.

9. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

JJ looked skurred and tentative after his injury, and pretty much disappeared the rest of the season.

He needs to step it up this year.

10. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

gunner blocker

If he is too weak & fragile to get in someones way...what the heck did we draft the guy for ? He certainly isn't going to be winded coming in on every third and long situation. Jones needs a step and this guy is supposed to be able to run. Tough enough ? I agree.

11. ocd

ocd Rookie

Jones will get his chance to be a star soon enough. When? After we've established a running game. Watch how good all our receivers look after we can pound the ball for 4+ yards a carry every single time.

To Mr. Gibbs,

Thank you for joining our organization! Please make our boys the toughest in the NFL.

Love,

A True Fan

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

At least 4+ yards a carry - I like your optimism.

13. ocd

ocd Rookie

Get ready to strut this year Mojoman.

Here's a little something from Grand Funk Railroad to give you an idea about the upcoming season...just let the intro slide by and turn up the music.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M4X0OnGKO1c

:jogger:

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

I will very certainly be strutting if the Texans get 4+ yards a carry every time they run the ball. If that happens, this is going to be a dynamite year.

15. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

Jacoby Jones will Push Kevin Walter for his starting position and will probably beat him out he reminds me talent wise of WR-Chris Henry. Jacoby Jones showed good hands & speed last year before his season ending injury. The one thing that jumped out to me about J. Jones is that the game wasn't to big for him and that he knew that he was very good especially in the pre-season. Please take hm off special teams!!!!

16. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Jacoby Jones isn't beating out Kevin Walter, because in this system under Alex Gibbs, Gibbs expects EVERYONE to block and Kevin Walter is a excellent blocking WR. Kevin Walter is also a big target who always seems to get open......he's a chain mover, first down machine, and one of Kubiak's favorites. Jacoby Jones is going to have to do his damage from the slot this season.

Seriously in his first season starting the guy had 65 catches and 800 receiving yards as a #2 reciever......i still don't understand why people always want to replace Kevin Walter.

17. mariowillshine15

mariowillshine15 Hall of Fame

Kevin Walter is a beast and id love to see them throw out AJ,Walter,Jones,Slaton, and Daniels i mean how do you guard that?

18. Bigbots_02

Bigbots_02 Veteran

I love the way Walters plays. He's durable, has good hands, blocks and is a decent route runner. If I were to ask anything more of the man, It would only be to become alittle more faster to become more of a deep threat.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

You can't. That's why defense will determine our success this season. Being on the + side on turnovers will help too.

20. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I'm right there with you. I've always liked what Walter brings to this team. He's nothing flashy and isn't going to make the highlight reels because he's not a homerun threat like Jones or Davis. But what he does bring to the offense is consistency. Time and time again last season, he just found ways to get wide open...(excuse me... COMPLETELY wide open). He's there to make the first down when we need it.

I'm really liking the dynamics of our offense the more I think about it. Improved OL, improved RB's, Daniels at TE, and a slew of WR's that I love for our team.

I think this is the first season that our QB is fully set up to succeed. you could argue that a year of Gibbs' system under the OL belt is helpful- but this is by far the best starting point in our existence, imo.