Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans vs Giants

No More 8-8's

Waterboy
So far this week, we have been really focusing/commenting on off the field stuff a.k.a. Arian Foster's motives and the FA signings etc. But so far very little talk about the upcoming game.

Our OL should be concerned with the speed and depth of the Giants DL, thats a given. But what about the rest of the giants? Is Ahmad Bradshaw going to play? i know he was a bit dinged up.

Does anyone know of any other areas, the Giants could beat the Texans. What do you guys think?

I think the Texans should challenge the Giants through the air...Giants will be focused on Foster/running game. Play action should be effective.

meh....here come those useless stats again. Stats say we should be able to run and score on them, and they should be able to pass and score on us. Whatever. We'll see this coming Sunday.

Houston offense passing is 8th against NY passing defense which is 2nd

Houston offense running is 1st against NY running defense which is 22nd

Houston offense scoring is 4th against NY scoring defense which is 22nd.

NY offense passing is 9th against Houston passing defense which is LAST LOL

NY offense running is 7th against Houston running defense which is 2nd

NY offense scoring is 20th against Houston scoring defense which is 26

I think the Texans should challenge the Giants through the air...Giants will be focused on Foster/running game. Play action should be effective.

I want AJ to sit out of this game if he is not 100%, but that specifically could cost us this game. JJ needs to find his hands.

Hmmmm....I thought the Giants' run D was better than that. One day it's average and the next it's bad....back and forth. Guess it depends on who you ask.

The Colts beat the Giants by running all over them. We should be able to run on them and the Giants should be loading up against that. Which should make our play action passing deadly.

Last week, we started off with a series of play action passes and had guys open and we could do that again but I'm conservative. If you can run, then run.

My fear is the Giant offense against our defense. They're a good running team and they've got some weapons at receiver. I'm hoping the Cush return combined with the emergence of Troy Nolan at FS significantly improves our D.

Hmmmm....I thought the Giants' run D was better than that. One day it's average and the next it's bad....back and forth. Guess it depends on who you ask.

It makes sense they aren't that good at defending the run because they probably don't have much lane discipline because of how good they are at rushing the passer and getting downfield.

How concerned should we be with their receivers? They seem to have alot of options.

As most of you know I am also a Giants fan so I will speak as such here.

Hakeem Nicks and Steve Smith have been pretty good. However the Texans need to be concerned with the TE Kevin Boss. Boss is one of my favorite players on the Giants and when Eli gets him cranked up they usually do well.

Since the Texans have been having problems tight ends so far this season the Giants should be game planning to hit Boss often.

The problem so far this season with the Giants on offense has been turnovers. Eli has thrown way too many picks however the majority have not been his fault. He has had some dumb luck with balls bouncing off of his receivers. Of course fumbles have been another issue.

Overall the Giants offense is out of sync right now. From what I can see a lot of that has to do with the offensive line. I fully expect the Texans to crank up the heat. Eli can get real erratic with people in his face. Of course if Bradshaw gets going the Texans are in trouble.

Defensively the Giants have done OK (with the exception of the Colts game) however they have been lacking a true leader. Losing Antonio Pierce has been an issue. However against the Bears I saw guys stepping it up and anyone that saw that saw a great performance. I think the Bears game has given them some confidence and momentum back.

I expect a low scoring game. Texans 17-14 on a late FG.

It's all relative. We are second against the rush in total yards. However that can be skewed. We give up 3.6 ypa. per rush. The Giants 3.8. In that regard we're tied for 7th and the Giant are tied for 11th.

As far as rush attempts against, the Giants rank 5th with 124 attempts against while the Texans rank 29th with only 79 attempts against.

Hakeem Nicks and Steve Smith have been pretty good. However the Texans need to be concerned with the TE Kevin Boss. Boss is one of my favorite players on the Giants and when Eli gets him cranked up they usually do well.

Since the Texans have been having problems tight ends so far this season the Giants should be game planning to hit Boss often.

The problem so far this season with the Giants on offense has been turnovers. Eli has thrown way too many picks however the majority have not been his fault. He has had some dumb luck with balls bouncing off of his receivers. Of course fumbles have been another issue.

Overall the Giants offense is out of sync right now. From what I can see a lot of that has to do with the offensive line. I fully expect the Texans to crank up the heat. Eli can get real erratic with people in his face. Of course if Bradshaw gets going the Texans are in trouble.

Defensively the Giants have done OK (with the exception of the Colts game) however they have been lacking a true leader. Losing Antonio Pierce has been an issue. However against the Bears I saw guys stepping it up and anyone that saw that saw a great performance. I think the Bears game has given them some confidence and momentum back.

Is Bradshaw playing? He hasn't been practicing.

I think 17-10 Texans, but we're close on how the game will go. Reliant should be pumped up and ready to go.

Same problem the Cowboys walked into Reliant Stadium with, and they
left fully cured. Am I gonna be cheering Sunday? Am I gonna be LOL'ing in disgust after
the game? The very fact that I can pose two diametrically opposed
questions regarding the Texans is that they have yet to show consistency.

Cush is back. Yay. Nolan's gonna get a bunch of snaps. Yay. I want
to see this team match the perennial division champion in quality of
consistent week-in-week out effort and execution.

...End rant.

We know the Texans COULD come out with a run-heavy gameplan, but
we also know that the Texans WON'T do such a thing. Kubiak likes
to be very cute with his offense. In his mind, for 70 plays of offense,
he MUST beat every team with 35 run plays / 35 pass plays, or he
failed at "coaching his offense up."

So, on 3rd and 3 from the goalline, don't be surprised to see Matt standing
in shotgun formation with 4-wides and an empty backfield, when we
have the #1-ranked rushing attack in the NFL. If' we're already at 35-run
plays and only have 27 pass plays, don't be surprised to see Kubiak try to
make the deficit up in an attempt to be more "balanced."

....End rant #2.

....End rant #2.

False. See the Indy game this year.

....End rant #2.

Your frustration level is really awe-inspiring.

The biggest thing that bothers me about this game is everyone and their brother is picking the Texans to win. Historically (or hysterically) we have not done well under those circumstances.

I'm still picking the Texans to win though. :)

....End rant #2.

That's the perfect time for the Schaub Wildcat. I say Schaub's good for three rushing TD's this week. You can't stop a QB that runs a 5.6 40 yard dash!!!!

left fully cured. Am I gonna be cheering Sunday? Am I gonna be LOL'ing in disgust after

...End rant.

The Cowboys have alot more talent on their team than the Giants. We all knew the Cow****ers were not an 0-2 team.

The biggest thing that bothers me about this game is everyone and their brother is picking the Texans to win. Historically (or hysterically) we have not done well under those circumstances.

I'm still picking the Texans to win though. :)
Same here. But I expect a good game.

....End rant #2.

Only 4 games into the season with 2 games dramatically contradicting your rant, I'm thinking this was poor timing.

False. See the Indy game this year.

The Indy game started the the most pass-happy scheming I'd ever seen
out of the Texans. I even ranted about it on a thread during halftime.
Fortunately, they weren't down by multiple scores before waking up
to the fact they could actually RUN the ball.

So instead of insisting on 35 runs and 35 passes Indy demonstrates a pass happy game plan which turned into a run heavy game showing A Kubiak's adapting to learning they had a running game and B how wrong your assertion was.

I get that the Giants had 10 sacks last week and that seems to be a huge cause of worry. However, the way I look at it is 10 of those came against a team that's offensive coordinator leads the league every year in getting his QB sacked (with the exceptions of those years here with Carr).

They had only 6 in the first 3 games 4 of those coming in the season opener. I grant that they then faced 2 of the more difficult guys to sack; Manning because well, he's the best in the business at getting rid of the ball and knowing exactly what is happening at any moment, and VY who is elusive.

The key will be to be able to run the ball well against a team that isn't very good at stopping the run, getting the lead, and keeping the Giants D from knowing the pass is coming every play. Schaub was only sacked twice in the 2 games that we've had a lead and kept the defense guessing. He was sacked 9 times in the 2 games that we fell behind and were forced to pass the ball more.

So instead of insisting on 35 runs and 35 passes Indy demonstrates a pass happy game plan which turned into a run heavy game showing A Kubiak's adapting to learning they had a running game and B how wrong your assertion was.

Indy couldn't make the Texans pay for overwhelmingly throwing the ball
in the first half. The Cowboys did. It's why Arian Foster only got 16
carries. Start the game running it as if you believe in that phase of your
offense. I'd rather them TRY to establish the running game EARLY, than
go "Oh, ****. They've shut down our ability to pass, SO lets try to run."

Two completely different mindsets; however, if the Texans execute, the
Giants should not be a tough game at all.

Our plays for the 1st Quarter went like this:

Pass
Pass
Pass - Punt

Run
Run - 1st down
Run
Pass
Pass - FG

Pass - PI 1st down
Pass
Pass
Pass - FG

Run
Run
Run - Quarter

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/54866/HST_Gamebook.pdf

....End rant #2.

I want Schaub in the shotgun on 3rd and goal from the 3.

Teams can stack up and stop our run, especially if they know they gotta' keep us three yards from the end zone. Easy call for a defense. And they will get to Foster 9 times out of 10.

I want Schaub with four targets on 3rd and goal from the 3. Leave Foster in there as a 5th target coming out of the backfield or staying in as a blocker.

Yes, we are running the ball well elsewhere, because a defense has to keep our passing game in check between the 20s. But once we get to where a defense can just put its back up against a wall, that's when every team's defense starts to look eerily similar to the Ravens or Steelers vs. our run game.

I'm not saying we never have rushing TDs from the 3. I'm saying it's not as good a playcall as a pass from Schaub is. Especially if you still have a RB in there to aid in blocking or to release as a receiver safety-valve option.

Personally, I'm a bit worried about this game. The Giants are better than their 2-2 record and match up quite well against the Texans.

I have alot of concerns going into this game:

1) How are we going to protect Schaub against Tuck & Umenyiora? They're one of the best pass-rushing duos and had a field day against Cutler last weekend!
2) Your answer to #1 may be a heavy dose of Arian Foster, but their run defense is only give up 3.8 ypc.
3) They're very balanced at offense (#7 in rushing, #9 in passing). They have an excellent core of receivers in Smith, Nick, Manningham, and Boss. How will the young secondary hold up against these guys?

The reason the Giants have been losing is turnovers. But the Texans aren't exactly the best when it comes to forcing turnovers. I also didn't mention they're running the ball very effectively this season at 4.7 ypc.

I think this will be an evenly matched game, and will come down to 3rd down stops and turnovers. Texans aren't known for forcing a lot of turnovers but if we get 3 and outs scored quickly, we will run the the ball. Keep in mind, Bears have no run game at all, and the Giants we're able to make them one dimensional and create blitz'z and give pressure. But the Texans are balanced on offense. Some guick pass's, TE outs, screen passes, and my favorite (PA pass to the runningback). miz up the tight end sets with 2 and none. Middle off the field is weak in the pass game with the Giants, and their rush defense has been good against weak running teams. But haven't been scoring in the Redzone.

Texans 28
Giants 23

Personally, I'm a bit worried about this game. The Giants are better than their 2-2 record and match up quite well against the Texans.

I have alot of concerns going into this game:
1) How are we going to protect Schaub against Tuck & Umenyiora? They're one of the best pass-rushing duos and had a field day against Cutler last weekend!

Run da Damn Ball!

2) Your answer to #1 may be a heavy dose of Arian Foster, but their run defense is only give up 3.8 ypc.

The answer to #1 is correct. Foster is the prototype for the Zone
Scheme.

3) They're very balanced at offense (#7 in rushing, #9 in passing). They have an excellent core of receivers in Smith, Nick, Manningham, and Boss. How will the young secondary hold up against these guys?

The linebackers have to start earning their money by covering
the second level of the defense. They must help the corners by
squeezing the "windows" on the short/intermediate routes.

The reason the Giants have been losing is turnovers. But the Texans aren't exactly the best when it comes to forcing turnovers. I also didn't mention they're running the ball very effectively this season at 4.7 ypc.

The Texans do have guys with a history of causing turnovers.
Antonio, Mario, Amobi, Brian, Demeco, Troy are just a few of 'em. They'd
better bring their A-games, and not lay another home egg.

Chicago's O-line is garbage. Do you know how many sacks those two guys had prior to last weeks debacle?? 1.... 1 sack between them in their fiirst 3 games.

That said, our O-line better have their collective shite together because irrespective of my point, those guys are GOOD!!

Chicago's O-line is garbage. Do you know how many sacks those two guys had prior to last weeks debacle?? 1.... 1 sack between them in their fiirst 3 games.

That said, our O-line better have their collective shite together because irrespective of my point, those guys are GOOD!!

For some reason, I'm more worried about Winston than Butler.

Just watched Inside the NFL, and everyone but Phil Sims picked the Texans. No suprise there that Simms took the Giants.

could have sworn we had 12 run plays & 11 pass plays in the first half of that game.

I keep seeing: "They average 3.8 ypc against them. I wonder if we'll be able to run the ball" posts.

We are a very good rushing team. The answer is still yes. They don't run a 3-4 and they don't have a monster lining up over center so we should be able to run the ball very well.

Mike

I keep seeing: "They average 3.8 ypc against them. I wonder if we'll be able to run the ball" posts.

We are a very good rushing team. The answer is still yes. They don't run a 3-4 and they don't have a monster lining up over center so we should be able to run the ball very well.

Mike

Just to bolster your argument with facts (and because I know you like stats):

If you remove our game against the Colts, the Colts gave up 4.4 yards per carry to the other teams they played. Not good. But they gave up 6.1 ypc to us.

If you remove our game from the Cowboys, the Cowboys gave up 3.0 ypc. They gave up 5.6 ypc against us. (We should have run against them more.)

The poor Raiders got gashed by the run by the Titans almost as bad as they got gashed by us. But still, removing our game from the Raiders, the Raiders give up an average of 4.6 ypc. They gave up 6.9 ypc against us.

And the games against the Colts and Raiders include some Victory Formation "carries" that reduces our average.

The Redskin game appears to be an anomaly. Foster had 2 0 yard runs that hurt our average AND Turk's run-the-time-off-the-clock -27 yard carry really hurts our numbers. So I removed Turk's run from our rushing totals. We only rushed for 3.7 ypc against them and they gave up 4.1 ypc against their other opponents. BUT... if you remove the two 0 yard carries Foster gave up at the end of the game trying to put the ball at the correct hash, then we rushed for 4.0 ypc. Still low.

Now, if you look at the Giants. The two games they lost (Colts, Titans), the opposing team had 40+ carries.

Panthers: 24/89 3.71 ypc. (4.0 overall)
Colts: 43/160 3.72 ypc. (3.2 overall)
Titans: 41/161 3.93 ypc. (4.3 overall)
Bears: 16/59 3.69 ypc (3.3 overall)

Obviously, the Colt and Titan game plans were to just run and stick with the run and they won doing that even if they didn't get more than 4 ypc. Two teams actually ran better against the Giants than their average.

I expect us to follow the Colt/Titan game plan. But I honestly expect our ypc to be higher. It may be below our league leading 5.5 ypc average, but I expect it to be higher than 3.8 ypc.

...End rant.

I agree with this.

....End rant #2.

I also agree with this. We let Dallas off the hook defensively a few times because we chose to pass on 3rd and 3.

I better see about 300 screens in this game right from the get go!!!!

You wanna slow that defensive line down, draws and screens baby, draws and screens.

Then let Shaub go downfield a little if AJ's playing.

Actually it would be perfect because we haven't run that many this year, and maybe they won't see it coming. Get Slaton involved early and let Foster pound the rock later in the game.

I know Tom Coughlin will be focusing on the Texans running game, that's why I think play action will work. Go Texans:cow::cow::cow:

I know Tom Coughlin will be focusing on the Texans running game, that's why I think play action will work. Go Texans:cow::cow::cow:

IMO, Texans don't switch their game plan. That's what makes this team different than other years and even fans still think this team is older team, that would have to game plan to to win. but now, we have the talent at RB, QB, WR, O LINE, and TE, to have ONE game plan. And stick to it until its figured out. And adjust at half time.

Personally, I think the game plan is the same as it has been. Start out with different formations early in the game get the D lined up and find out what personnel they use for certain formations. Get the run game going. Get some points early is very beneficial for the Texans. I believe we're undefeated when we score first. Keep the Giants offense off the field. Run some clock.

And most important, keep them in bad field possession with special teams. Force them to waste a lot of time, for 3 points. Giants is a bad redzone team, I would have Cover 2 Tampa in the redzone. with Cushing blitzing as a DE. Force Eli to make quick decisions, he gets rattled easily, and forces throws sometimes in coverage.

I'm hoping for a blow-out.

I'd really like to see us come out and thouroughly dominate this team.

meh....here come those useless stats again. Stats say we should be able to run and score on them, and they should be able to pass and score on us. Whatever. We'll see this coming Sunday.

Houston offense passing is 8th against NY passing defense which is 2nd

Houston offense running is 1st against NY running defense which is 22nd

Houston offense scoring is 4th against NY scoring defense which is 22nd.

NY offense passing is 9th against Houston passing defense which is LAST LOL

NY offense running is 7th against Houston running defense which is 2nd

NY offense scoring is 20th against Houston scoring defense which is 26
Sounds like Houston should run a few draw plays and play action.

Back