Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans vs Bungles next week in Wild Card Playoff

The Texans lost 3 games in a row to end the season. On the surface, that doesn't look good. But if you look at this in context, it's not as dire as it seems. This team clinched early, in week 14. I try not to look at the Texans through homer glasses. However, when I ask myself "In what aspect are the Bengals better than the Texans?", I come up empty.

Running attack? The Bengals are OK. The Texans have one of the best in the league. Passing offense? Again, Bengals are OK with Dalton, Green, and Gresham. The Texans should be fine with Yates, AJ, and Daniels. Not to mention one of the best pass catching RBs in the NFL in Arian Foster.

Defense? The Bengals are solid. The Texans defense is better. Better in points allowed, yardage yielded, turnovers forced. Better. The Bengals are a good team. Worthy of that last playoff berth.

The Texans are just better.

In general, I think that Dungy knows a lot. I saw the comments and I think that, forced to pick only one, he went with the Bengals but thinks that we are pretty evenly matched.

I think we fall short at QB vs the Bengals unless we play Jake.

The Texans lost 3 games in a row to end the season. On the surface, that doesn't look good. But if you look at this in context, it's not as dire as it seems. This team clinched early, in week 14. I try not to look at the Texans through homer glasses. However, when I ask myself "In what aspect are the Bengals better than the Texans?", I come up empty.

Running attack? The Bengals are OK. The Texans have one of the best in the league. Passing offense? Again, Bengals are OK with Dalton, Green, and Gresham. The Texans should be fine with Yates, AJ, and Daniels. Not to mention one of the best pass catching RBs in the NFL in Arian Foster.

Defense? The Bengals are solid. The Texans defense is better. Better in points allowed, yardage yielded, turnovers forced. Better. The Bengals are a good team. Worthy of that last playoff berth.

Good post. That's a summary of the team that seems fair to all...except the guys in suits on a TV tonight. They saw 3-game losing streak and figure it's a harbinger of what's to come.

To me, this game was better-played (considering all things, of course) than maybe any of the past games TJ Yates was QB'ing for us. After that Bucs game, I don't remember us looking particular "with it." Yeah, we won vs. the Jags on the road and we won Falcons and Bengals...but objectively speaking, I think today was the first day since the Bucs game that I felt the whole team was handling their roles with efficiency and great detail.

I know that IF TJ Yates had continued playing today, as had all the regular players, this would have been a true blowout against the Titans today. He was sharp, Braman was active, Ward was beasting, Delhomme was getting into rhythm and played good for a guy who hasn't been around the game NOR our own playbook.

I think we might be flying in under the radar again, tbh.

It kinda pisses me off that all the talking heads are saying we were lucky in beating Cincy and keep pointing to the sack/strip of Dalton as the game sealer. No mention, whatsoever, of how lucky Cincy got when AF fumbled deep in our own territory. Now I'm pissed at myself for allowing myself to get pissed at talking head blow hards! SANTA MARIA!!!

I feel the same way and seeing what others think that the Texans came back and were mostly dominated by the Bengals or whatever.

I remember during the halftime of that game I even said that the Texans were beating themselves and once they fixed their game up, things would look much better. I feel like if we play as we should we beat this team 3x outta 5, 2x outta 3, any given sunday applies here surely. They are not a bad team but I think some folk are selling our defense short and don't realize how good the run game is.

I think we fall short at QB vs the Bengals unless we play Jake.
Dalton has 11 more games under his belt, compared to TJ. Otherwise, the stats are pretty close (QBR, YPA). Does that trump the advantages the Texans have across the board in other areas? I'm trying not to be a homer, and I don't think Dungy is being intentionally unfair. I just think the intial 3 games post-Schaub injury were more indicative of this team's capabilities than the past 3 games, post-clinching.

It kinda pisses me off that all the talking heads are saying we were lucky in beating Cincy and keep pointing to the sack/strip of Dalton as the game sealer. No mention, whatsoever, of how lucky Cincy got when AF fumbled deep in our own territory. Now I'm pissed at myself for allowing myself to get pissed at talking head blow hards! SANTA MARIA!!!

Why won't they acknowledge that the Bengals LOST today? The Bengals lost and still got into the playoffs via NFL Playoff Math. Talk about being lucky!

Why won't they talk about the Bengals being WINLESS against teams this year that are in the playoffs?

Yet the Texans are the ones who are in trouble in this matchup?

You just have to giggle at it, because they're just going off the usual template of "Texans suck." That's what 9 years of STINKING will do to ya' out there in the sports media world. Template-based analysis that has no objectivity to it.

Not saying we will win 100% and it won't even be hard to do so. Just saying that we're being picked as an underdog at home vs. a team who lucked their way into the playoffs and hasn't beaten a playoff-caliber team in 2011.

That's some bulletin board material for the kids on Kirby.

Why won't they acknowledge that the Bengals LOST today? The Bengals lost and still got into the playoffs via NFL Playoff Math. Talk about being lucky!

Why won't they talk about the Bengals being WINLESS against teams this year that are in the playoffs?

Yet the Texans are the ones who are in trouble in this matchup?

You just have to giggle at it, because they're just going off the usual template of "Texans suck." That's what 9 years of STINKING will do to ya' out there in the sports media world. Template-based analysis that has no objectivity to it.

Not saying we will win 100% and it won't even be hard to do so. Just saying that we're being picked as an underdog at home vs. a team who lucked their way into the playoffs and hasn't beaten a playoff-caliber team in 2011.

That's some bulletin board material for the kids on Kirby.

Actually...that's a stat I forgot all about but was bought up last time. I think the Bengals are like winless (or maybe won one game?) against teams over .500

My MAIN concern is how hot-and-cold Arian Foster has been in the latter half of this season. He's been dynamite or held in check.

When you have a contrasting stable of RBs like we have, Kubiak has to be quicker to put the load on Tate's shoulders, or even Ward. But it seems Kubiak gets into a bit of trance, IIRC, and keeps forcing Foster when it's not working.

I want to see Kubiak go back to that One Two Punch that he did earlier in the season when he was splitting their carries (when Foster was easing back into the rotation after early reg season hamstring issues).

The change of style between those two guys is maddening for a defense. Foster is the guy who strings out the play and finds holes at the last second, he sometimes even stops and makes defenders miss out of sheer over-pursuit. Tate tends to make his cuts VERY early in the play and hits the seam he's identified...getting through there with speed AND power.

After awhile, a defense cannot mentally keep up with what type of force they are dealing with from play to play. The One Two Punch is effective.

If we try to make the Bengals game a shoot out, I am worried. This Yates guy is good when other things are working and he can just manage the game. I don't want a rookie QB like Yates trying to think his whole legacy is wrapped up in trying to be Aaron Rodgers or Favre in the opening playoff game this Saturday. We need the run game and defense to slow things down for him. It slows things down for Dalton, too.

My MAIN concern is how hot-and-cold Arian Foster has been in the latter half of this season. He's been dynamite or held in check.

When you have a contrasting stable of RBs like we have, Kubiak has to be quicker to put the load on Tate's shoulders, or even Ward. But it seems Kubiak gets into a bit of trance, IIRC, and keeps forcing Foster when it's not working.

I want to see Kubiak go back to that One Two Punch that he did earlier in the season when he was splitting their carries (when Foster was easing back into the rotation after early reg season hamstring issues).

The change of style between those two guys is maddening for a defense. Foster is the guy who strings out the play and finds holes at the last second, he sometimes even stops and makes defenders miss out of sheer over-pursuit. Tate tends to make his cuts VERY early in the play and hits the seam he's identified...getting through there with speed AND power.

After awhile, a defense cannot mentally keep up with what type of force they are dealing with from play to play. The One Two Punch is effective.

If we try to make the Bengals game a shoot out, I am worried. This Yates guy is good when other things are working and he can just manage the game. I don't want a rookie QB like Yates trying to think his whole legacy is wrapped up in trying to be Aaron Rodgers or Favre in the opening playoff game this Saturday. We need the run game and defense to slow things down for him. It slows things down for Dalton, too.

I think this is the goal in every game, but the oline sometimes is not up to par. To me it seems like Gary goes with the hot hand. He seems to be more lenient to Foster when it comes to getting into rhythm, but the guy is our franchise back, so he has earned that right. I like the 2:1 ratio as long as both backs are getting good yardage, I really think that AJ is the guy who needs to set the mood for our team. We need to go deep to him early to loosen up the defense and to remind them that AJ is still a beast. I doubt they respect him right off the bat....

I like our chances in this game, especially if the crowd's as loud as during the Atlanta game. They'll have trouble throwing & that's what they need to do stay with us. I work with a Bengals fan who's convinced they'll lose.

Another guy's opinion. Fair enough.

Some fans prefer the QB with the mobility and the arm over the one with playoff and Super Bowl experience who has lost a step. I prefer the latter, but we will see what Kubiak does next week.

experience means nothing if you're a bad player, which Delhomme
is. i'll take "skill" over "non-skill" any day.

Please do us all a favor and go watch the Texans game vs. Jax.

You'll see a guy in Leinart who has non-skill that you're falsely placing on Delhomme here.

Today, Delhomme looked much better than Leinart did. Leinart had no vision for the way a play develops, no zip on the ball, and he got crushed and pulverized because he had no pocket awareness and limited vision.

I don't agree, at all, that Delhomme has no skill. In fact, he impressed me today because he went out there and made plays with 2nd and 3rd stringers around him. Not too shabby, IMO. Not "elite," but not as garbage as you're saying either.

I think this is the goal in every game, but the oline sometimes is not up to par. To me it seems like Gary goes with the hot hand. He seems to be more lenient to Foster when it comes to getting into rhythm, but the guy is our franchise back, so he has earned that right. I like the 2:1 ratio as long as both backs are getting good yardage, I really think that AJ is the guy who needs to set the mood for our team. We need to go deep to him early to loosen up the defense and to remind them that AJ is still a beast. I doubt they respect him right off the bat....

Fair enough. I got no beef with your take on that.

If we can maybe get Brisel back and blocking for Delhomme, he'll be fine. When Delhomme gets pressured, he turns into the worst QB of all-time.

But either way, I'm pretty sure Yates will be in.

Most important matchup of the game:

AJ Green v Jonathan Joseph...

I think the winner of this head to head wins the game for his team.

I really like what Cincy has done this season but they do struggle with winning teams and it has been brought up.

I think Ray Rice ran all over them today at times. Get the run game going and whoever is at QB will have a much easier day. The run game is the key on offense obviously.

I think Houston finds a way to win at home. The crowd will be pumped for this one too.

And it's not like an experienced QB is coming in either. It's Andy Dalton. He has been solid but I think Wade can figure some stuff out for him. Have some faith in Wade. This is the same man who always gave Peyton Manning fits too. He can certainly plan for the Bengals.

Should be a good game but I have a hunch Houston finds a way to win this one right now.

Most important matchup of the game:

AJ Green v Jonathan Joseph...

I think the winner of this head to head wins the game for his team.

I disagree. I think it comes down to the Bengals ability to contain Foster & Tate. Ray Rice had a big game on them, so the Ravens barely had to throw the ball. The same recipe should be applied.

I disagree. I think it comes down to the Bengals ability to contain Foster & Tate. Ray Rice had a big game on them, so the Ravens barely had to throw the ball. The same recipe should be applied.

I was speaking more along the lines on a 1 on 1 matchup of importance (not necessarily an entire phase of the game). I think if AJ is able to burn JJo for 2 TD's our chance for victory is far less than the chance for victory if we have a mediocre day on the ground.

I agree that the Texans are better. If everyone takes care of business we can handily beat the Bengals.

I don't like how we are heading into the playoffs though.

I would rather be going in like the Giants right now, they are focused and clicking on all cylinders.

I have no idea which Texans team will show up on Saturday.

Dungy hates Houston for some reason. We never beat him but he has an ax to grind.

We lost today because this was a non important game to us. It looked like preseason out there today. Seriously, who goes for two in that situation?

We are going to kill the Bengals.

He doesn't hate Houston. He's usually complimentary of us.

It is odd that between the ESPN and NBC coverage of the game, no one mentioned that we were resting starters and playing the 2nd and 3rd stringers. And, despite this, nearly won the game.

These guys are simply seeing that we have lost 3 games in a row and playing a 3rd or 4th string QB in the playoffs. Simply looking at it like that, without actually analyzing anything, I can't blame them for picking the Bengals to win. Fortunately for us, there's more to it than that.

Also, FWIW, Rodney Harrison did pick us to beat the Bengals.

Actually...that's a stat I forgot all about but was bought up last time. I think the Bengals are like winless (or maybe won one game?) against teams over .500

NEVER brings up things like this! The Texans love to break these kind of streaks/records! Like how a 10 plus win team has never lost to a 1 win team, until the Texans did it. This actually has me even more worried than before. Seriously.

Yates has little more measurable skill than Delhomme. Yates threw a late game red zone TD pass late at Cincy that was great. Jake did the same yesterday with 2nd and 3rd string players on his offense vs 1st stringers on the Titans defense. Whatever edge youth provides is wasted on him because he doesn't know what to do with it in a pressure situation.

I hope we go with Jake to start, and if not, I hope Gary gets him in the game when we still have a chance to win it.

Can you imagine the new energy and the "second chance" type feelings guys like Jake Delhomme and Jeff Garcia are feeling right now?

They're in the playoffs, and might even get called upon if Yates gets hurt or struggles.

I saw a different Delhomme than the one who crashed at Cleveland. If he has to come into the game, I'm not panicking about it.

Bengals were 1-7 versus winning teams this year (if I recall from the tv yesterday)

Historically, our numbers are about the same... but this year we managed to go 4-3 by beating the "weaker" winning teams such as the Bengals, Falcons, and Titans.

Slow and steady is the Texans way.

I hate speculation, but its hard to ignore that the texans may have started tj to get jake caught up on the play book. Over 20 points with backups. I had a little peace of mind watching el homme.

I saw a different Delhomme than the one who crashed at Cleveland. If he has to come into the game, I'm not panicking about it.

I agree... It was his first action in over a year, playing with scrubs at the skill positions and on the line, and i think he looked purdy damn good...

Saturday cant get here soon enough. I'M F"ING pumped!! :texflag: :jam: :smiliedance::kingkong:

I even changed the writing on the wall on my av to, "Bungholes Suck" :heh:

Dungy and Harrison hate us, every week they find a way to disrespect us, all season long

Why do some of you keep saying the game is on Saturday? The date and time has not been announced yet so how can anyone say that?

Actually Rodney Harrison picked us to beat the Bengals. Home field advantage, Wade's defense, and the running game.

why dont we wear all white anymore or all blue that looked cool IMO

I think all teams should have a all white uniform worked for the colts n bills ....... LOL

Can you imagine the new energy and the "second chance" type feelings guys like Jake Delhomme and Jeff Garcia are feeling right now?

They're in the playoffs, and might even get called upon if Yates gets hurt or struggles.

He is not any different. That was a very small sample. Jake had like 3 good seasons in this league as a starter and Steve Smith and that running game always made him look better than what he was. We won't be seeing any revived Jake Delhomme, because there wasn't much to try and revive with what he was.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing him start over Yates. We're screwed either way with either one of these guys. Maybe Kubiak would trust Jake a little more though.

untitled.jpg

Historically, our numbers are about the same... but this year we managed to go 4-3 by beating the "weaker" winning teams such as the Bengals, Falcons, and Titans.

Slow and steady is the Texans way.

Seriously? The Falcons are not a 'weak' team. Houston crushed the Titans on the road and I don't quite understand why you would leave out the Steelers, but it's probably because it would hurt any argument you would have.

Now let's look at those three losses, shall we? The Titans game yesterday Houston was resting Yates, Foster, Joseph, Daniels and pretty much every starter after the third. Still they only lost by one point because they didn't want to take the game into overtime and risk an injury. Both the New Orleans and Baltimore games were tight late in the game and both were on the road. The Ravens and Saints had a combined 16-0 record at home.

I understand Houston hasn't always played playoff teams this well, but this Houston team actually handled their business against good teams this year.

He is not any different. That was a very small sample. Jake had like 3 good seasons in this league as a starter and Steve Smith and that running game always made him look better than what he was. We won't be seeing any revived Jake Delhomme, because there wasn't much to try and revive with what he was.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing him start over Yates. We're screwed either way with either one of these guys. Maybe Kubiak would trust Jake a little more though.

Well if Steve Smith and the run game always made him look better than he was then I'm comfortable with Andre/Arian/Ben/Derrick helping him be decent enough if need be.

Seriously? The Falcons are not a 'weak' team. Houston crushed the Titans on the road and I don't quite understand why you would leave out the Steelers, but it's probably because it would hurt any argument you would have.

Now let's look at those three losses, shall we? The Titans game yesterday Houston was resting Yates, Foster, Joseph, Daniels and pretty much every starter after the third. Still they only lost by one point because they didn't want to take the game into overtime and risk an injury. Both the New Orleans and Baltimore games were tight late in the game and both were on the road. The Ravens and Saints had a combined 16-0 record at home.

I understand Houston hasn't always played playoff teams this well, but this Houston team actually handled their business against good teams this year.

Yeah, seriously. A 3rd string QB handled the Falcons. They are streaky therefore they can be shut down. Kinda like us.

I didn't leave the Steelers out for the reason you listed. A single win does not define a trend... Also, I don't consider the Steelers to be a "weaker" team but since you brought them up... didn't we take advantage of an injured Roethlisberger, Harrison, Mendenhall, and Smith? In addition, the Steelers had already been decimated with injuries at the time.

I'd say that the Ravens and Saints handled THEIR business but after wearing some battle red sunglasses, I can see your argument. I guess.

FWIW, I thought we played very well but results matter. Already went through this "close but no cigar" song and dance the last couple years. Saturday's game is results coming to fruitition. Now we must go on a winning streak among the elite and our Kubiak-marred history is NOT on our side.

It's a new season though. All or nothing.

Yeah, seriously. A 3rd string QB handled the Falcons. They are streaky therefore they can be shut down. Kinda like us.

I didn't leave the Steelers out for the reason you listed. A single win does not define a trend... Also, I don't consider the Steelers to be a "weaker" team but since you brought them up... didn't we take advantage of an injured Roethlisberger, Harrison, Mendenhall, and Smith? In addition, the Steelers had already been decimated with injuries at the time.

I'd say that the Ravens and Saints handled THEIR business but after wearing some battle red sunglasses, I can see your argument. I guess.

FWIW, I thought we played very well but results matter. Already went through this "close but no cigar" song and dance the last couple years. Saturday's game is results coming to fruitition. Now we must go on a winning streak among the elite and our Kubiak-marred history is NOT on our side.

It's a new season though. All or nothing.

I don't agree with your opinion of the Falcons. I think they're a legitimate contender and I believe they will beat the Giants this week. I could easily see them being the dark horse in the NFC.

If saying the Baltimore and New Orleans games were close games on the road against teams that didn't have one loss at home is looking at it with battle red glasses then I guess that's how I see those games. Those teams both being 8-0 at their place I thought said quite a bit about the games. Guess we'll just disagree here.

I thought Houston handled their business against the good teams in the league. Wins on the road against the Titans & Bengals and home wins against the Falcons & Steelers are legitimate (IMO).

I agree with you about the playoffs being a new season. Win or lose this weeks game will be the biggest game this franchise has seen in it's ten years of existence. Hopefully they'll come away with a win. Go Texans!

I am hoping for it and looking forward to it. I think even Schaub would have looked bad with Cleveland. Your teammates matter. I'm not holding the Cleveland experience against Jake, as they were horrendous.

Well if Steve Smith and the run game always made him look better than he was then I'm comfortable with Andre/Arian/Ben/Derrick helping him be decent enough if need be.

If you're confident with Jake Delhomme going into the playoffs, than I have nothing else I can really say. You'd think anybody out there would be a good choice if he puts on a Texans uniform. No point in really discussing it than.

Only the Bengals, Titans and Raiders remain eligable for the 6th seed. With the Chargers beating down on the Raiders, that would eliminate the Raiders and Titans. Which means we get the Bengals next week.

So, who's the QB for the Texans I wonder. Delhome or TJ? TJ beat the Bengals at their place in a very meaningful game for both teams.

Easy old man!!! This isn't "the Bungles" of old.. They've lost the "circus" that was Chad Johnson, Carson Palmer et al...

If you're confident with Jake Delhomme going into the playoffs, than I have nothing else I can really say. You'd think anybody out there would be a good choice if he puts on a Texans uniform. No point in really discussing it than.

Excuse me? Where did I say I'd rather have Jake Delhomme starting over TJ Yates? I'm not comfortable with either of them, but I'd much rather go with TJ.

I'm just using the logic you put forth.

My thoughts on our 1st playoff game match up
Positives
1 We are at home and I expect our crowd to be CRAZY LOUD

2 I don't see the Texans having 4 fumbles 3 lost and a INT (4 Turn Overs at home no way)

3 AJ being back will create more space for running game plus AJ in passing game

4 OD had a big game 7-100yds we had no Casey he will create a mismatch as well

5 I think Wade with a 2nd crack at Dalton is a positive

6 D. Manning back on KO returns

Negatives

1 Caldwell needs help big time

2 Foster worst game of year was held to 41 rush yds

3 Only 1 sack by our def

4 A.J. Green is a tuf cover speed size leaping ability

5 Texans OLine gave up 5 sacks

Final thought both teams have a rookie QB so slight edge to dalton he played all year.
Texans won the last game while losing turn over battle 4 to 1 if we can keep the turn overs down to 1 or fewer we should win

my prediction
HOU 20 - CIN 13

Back