Texans vs. 49ers Injury Status

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Oct 1, 2013.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

link

Not only is the left side of the OL not slowly working its way back to 100-percent, but neither is the right side.

It is evident that Duane Brown has suffered a very significant Turf Toe, and was thrown out there anyway to try to practice last week, and as I would have expected "suffered a setback" and is unlikely to be able to play Sunday. Wade Smith suffered what Kubiak reported as "a relatively minor knee sprain" the beginning of August. Then, all of a sudden we hear that he underwent a knee arthroscopy August 13. Then we hear that he "took a full load" in practice in ~ 3 1/2 weeks to play against San Diego 4 weeks post op. He was brought back too soon, and his play has shown it ever since. Derrick Newton, after his patella tendon rupture surgery was brought back in the preseason before he was ready, because they were more concerned that he would not have enough practice with the OL to be effective. Because of this philosophy, his knee is affecting and will continue to affect his play. Now, from what I'm hearing now, Brooks suffered what is likely to also be a Turf Toe, something that can explain his performance against the Seahawks.

In conclusion, I'm not really getting "the OL is slowly getting back to 100-percent" feeling.

2. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

They are slowly waiting for their opponents to be even more banged up than them. :) :rake:

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

[​IMG]

"Day to Day" is Texans speak for "He'll probably not play another down this season".

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  4. CloakNNNdagger

HT.com:

Expect Ben Jones to be his sub. Wonder who will help at LG.

This means he "practiced" only in the afternoon indoors without contact. Last week a similar routine led to a setback.

5. deucetx

deucetx All Pro

The line has been abyssmal to say the least when it comes to pass protection. This only makes it worse.

I pray Smith will be able to go (words I never thought I'd say) because after Jones the next guard is Cody White. He looked horrible playing against backups in the preseason...to put it lightly. I sure as hell won't be amped to see him against starters going 100%.

6. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I was one of the few that really seemed to give a damn about QBerry going to IR. I never trusted this OL and suspected he'd play a significant role before the season was out. Then the injury bug hit him. Would be nice to have him about now.

Honestly, I think the team has mishandled the OL.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

We've been pretty lucky the past few years when it comes to injuries to the offensive line. The last one I can think of was Briesel and he even came back a few weeks after breaking a leg. Looks like it's time to pay the piper!

8. CloakNNNdagger

With all these toe, foot and ankle injuries, I'm beginning to suspect poor choice of footwear being involved.

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

It seems as though the OL is having problems with their little piggies this season. Could it be the training staff has no clue when it comes to footwear. Atleast it seemed that way on the Cushing mic'ed up segment at halftime on MNF.

He was telling the trainer to go back and get him shoes that had cleats an inch higher. He had to tell the trainer twice what he wanted. Did anybody else catch this?

10. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Please miss again, Brown.

11. CloakNNNdagger

Here are the pertinent changes in Wednesday's Injury Report:

Jones---------foot/groin (likely adductor tear)
    Watt----------nose/groin (likely adductor tear)
    Meyers-------biceps (not a good injury for a center)
    Ed Reed------add abdomen to hip (developing a "sports hernia"?)
    Foster--------add back again into the mix with thumb (I cautioned that those epidural back injections would likely be temporizing only)

It is very interesting to note that today's practice which is typically the only "contact" practice of the week, was simply a "jog-through." The troops must be quite banged up for the decision to withhold contact. "Full Practice" evidently means very little, other than those players were probably not in wheel chairs.

HOUSTON TEXANS

The Houston Texans conducted a jog-through on Wednesday. All practice statuses reflect an estimation of what a player's participation would have been if it were a normal Wednesday practice.

Wednesday (10/2/13)

DID NOT PARTICIPATE
    G Brandon Brooks Toe
    ILB Brian Cushing Concussion
    TE Owen Daniels Non-Injury/Rest*
    ILB Tim Dobbins Hamstring
    WR Andre Johnson Non-Injury/Rest*
    FB Greg Jones Foot/Groin
    CB Johnathan Joseph Non-Injury/Rest*
    ILB Darryl Sharpton Foot/Hip
    G Wade Smith Knee
    DE J.J. Watt Groin/Nose

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
    OLB Bryan Braman Hamstring/Shoulder
    T Duane Brown Toe
    C Chris Myers Biceps
    S Ed Reed Hip/Abdomen

FULL PARTICIPATION
    RB Arian Foster Thumb/Back
    TE Garrett Graham Hip/Groin
    CB Brice McCain Knee
    T Derek Newton Knee
    S Eddie Pleasant Hamstring
    WR DeVier Posey Achilles
    RB Ben Tate Shoulder

* - Daniels, Johnson and Joseph did not participate due to a coaches' decision to rest them on Wednesday.

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Wednesday (10/2/13)

OUT
    WR Quinton Patton Foot

DID NOT PARTICIPATE
    T Anthony Davis Shoulder

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
    CB Nnamdi Asomugha Knee
    TE Vernon Davis Hamstring
    DT Ray McDonald Ankle/Ankle
    RB Bruce Miller Quadricep
    CB Carlos Rogers Knee
    DT Justin Smith Shoulder
    LB Patrick Willis Groin

FULL PARTICIPATION
    TE Demarcus Dobbs Calf
    G Mike Iupati Shoulder
    T Joe Staley Hamstring/ Ankle
    WR Kyle Williams Knee

12. Scooter

Scooter Funky

ah crap, brooks has been just about the lone bright spot on the line so far. with jones having to cover for wade smith and our rookies on IR, we dont have the depth for these injuries.

13. CloakNNNdagger

link

14. CloakNNNdagger

link

15. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

It would appear that the Texans are bad at math and can't get the decimal point in the right spot.

It's a fine line to dance between playing a guy and resting him, but this early in the season, caution should be paramount. You want your guys healthy and ready for the postseason.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think this is bull. Would have been nice to see the "precautionary" measure before Sunday. Would have been nice to hear about it before the game. As we got neither, I believe this is Kubiak speak for, "We benched his a55 because he sucks!!"

He's found himself in a situation where he needs BenJones on the right side & don't want to tell everyone, "We've got no choice but continue to play Smith on the left side."

We could have saved $5M against the cap had we cut him, started Ben Jones (Q was the first choice) then get Menkins ready to play. Wade doesn't have it & hasn't had it for a few yeas now (imo)... pro bowl.. pfft, it was Andre Caldwell's name on the ballot, not Wade Smith's, but they gave Smith the votes.

17. CloakNNNdagger

Whatever your opinion of Smith prior to this year, Kubiak's recent statements make sense..............but the "precaution" should have been taken into consideration way earlier, prior to letting him back onto the field. His rehab period for the type of injury he sustained was obscenely short. Let me remind everyone..........this was a "minor" knee injury that turned into a severe knee BONE BRUISE.:

link

The next day, he was taken to surgery, and brought back to full action way too soon (3 1/2 weeks). I've chronicled very detailed implications of a true bone bruise in the Wade Smith injury thread after it happened.

When the term "shin bruise" was put out there, we waited for word on AJ to find out if he had a severe soft tissue "bruise" or a true "bone bruise," and it was eventually revealed that is was not a bone bruise, but only a severe soft tissue bruise. Even though AJ is still suffering its effect, the long-term implications of such an injury are much different. Damage of the internal matrix of the involved bone from bone bruise is naturally progressive, especially if not given sufficient time to heal. Internal bone healing is a slow process which is easily corrupted with continued trauma.

One may, for whatever reason, not be all that impressed with Smith's past performance, but his severe bone bruise injury and how it has been handled, has undoubtedly made a significant negative contribution this season.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I agree with that. Just don't believe Kubiak's explanation at this time. What you said, was before the season started. If he was worried about Wade, if he wanted to keep him healthy, or "be smart" with him, he would have been rotating him from the beginning of the season.

Wade's been struggling all year long.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  19. CloakNNNdagger

No disagreement here at all. The "precaution".............too little too late.:handshake:

20. CloakNNNdagger

Per Kubiak:

Brooks and Dobbins are OUT for Sunday.

Brown and Cushing are IN. I would be surprised if Brown looks like Brown out there.

When talking about AJ, he said AJ is IN.........but he was very tentative about his actual condition saying he is still working through his problem........sounds like AJ could still be compromised out there Sunday.