Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans' Vandermeer to give up talk-show duties

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Didn't know exactly where to put this. But thought some here would want to know. So mods please feel free to move.

From the Chronicle:

Marc Vandermeer will become director of radio broadcasting for the Texans and will leave his job as KILT's (610 AM) morning drive-time anchor in late May or early June, team and station officials said Thursday.

Vandermeer, who came to Houston in 2002 as the Texans' radio play-by-play announcer and has hosted afternoon and morning drive shows on KILT, the team's flagship station, will make the move as part of the new contract that shifts advertising sales for the Texans radio network and for weekly Texans shows on KILT from CBS Radio to the team.

"It's awesome to be able to work for an NFL team and to be involved in all aspects of their radio programming," Vandermeer said. "I'm not saying goodbye to Sports Radio 610, so I will still maintain my relationships there. It's the best of everything for me."

The move was not unexpected, since most NFL teams are taking radio rights in-house. Vandermeer and Paul Allen in Minneapolis-St. Paul were the only NFL play-by-play announcers hosting daily sports talk shows.

Texans president Jamey Rootes said Vandermeer will develop team-sponsored programming in conjunction with KILT program director Gavin Spittle and will work on radio network relations and other matters for the team.

"Marc will be at the center of the creation of what we think will be the broadest platform of NFL programming on radio," Rootes said. "Our goal is to take our brand throughout the week for our fans."

Spittle said he will conduct a nationwide search for Vandermeer's morning drive replacement alongside co-host John Lopez. He said he will consider inside candidates but wants to limit changes to the station's existing lineup.

"This is a benefit to the Texans and a benefit to us," Spittle said. "One of our points of contact with the team will be a guy we love and trust in Marc. The tough part is losing a guy who has done such a great job in morning drive, but he will continue to be a huge part of the radio station."

Coincidentally, the February Arbitrons came out this week. KILT lost a full share point off its January performance, which was fueled in large part by the Texans' playoff run, but still ranked 13th among all Houston stations and first among all-sports stations among men 25-54.

KILT had a 3.4 percent share in the weeklong ratings to 1.6 for KFNC (97.5 FM), 1.1 for KBME (790 AM) and 0.2 for KGOW (1560 AM). It ranked fourth in morning drive among all stations with a 4.6 share, was 12th in middays at 3.2 and tied for seventh in afternoon drive at 4.8.

KBME's best performance was a 2.5 share for 19th place in morning drive, and KFNC was 18th in middays with a 2.2 share in men 25-54.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Didn't know exactly where to put this. But thought some here would want to know. So mods please feel free to move.

From the Chronicle:
Good atleast his homerism will no longer be a part of the morning drive time. Rah/Rah

790 was starting to gain a larger listenership. I bet 610 didn't hate to see Vandy leave. Kinda like they weren't sorry to see Ware leave.

I mostly listen to 790, wonder if 610 will move Josh Innes to the morning drive time since they seem to think he's not the most annoying person in radio.

LonerATO

All Pro
I mostly listen to 790, wonder if 610 will move Josh Innesto the morning drive time since they seem to think he's not the most annoying person in radio.
People tune into hear him run his mouth, and when they get angry at him, instead of just changing the dial, they sit there and foam at the mouth or call in to complain.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
From the Chronicle:

Marc Vandermeer...

...will leave his job as KILT's (610 AM) morning drive-time anchor in late May or early June, team and station officials said Thursday.
When I first read the title of this thread, I was thinking, "Dammmmmmnnnsssssit, the Texans really are cleaning house..... "

Good luck to Vandy.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
so we released vandy too? Wtf?
Quite the contrary - you could argue he's been their only net add this off-season.

Don't listen much to the 610 morning show, but I like Vandy as a play by play guy, and I think this is a great move for him. Congrats and best of luck Mark!

80tothezone

Veteran
Quite the contrary - you could argue he's been their only net add this off-season.

Don't listen much to the 610 morning show, but I like Vandy as a play by play guy, and I think this is a great move for him. Congrats and best of luck Mark!
yeh I was joking I read the Op lol...

People tune into hear him run his mouth, and when they get angry at him, instead of just changing the dial, they sit there and foam at the mouth or call in to complain.

The only person that causes me to change the channel faster than josh is dylan gwinn.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
is there a alternative to 610 AM i was looking for another radio show in houston that is less coarpate and less handcuffed on what they can and cannot say

1560 or 1580 FM am ????? was another station but i forgot the numbers ...but does anyone know any other sports shows in houston ?????

is there a alternative to 610 AM i was looking for another radio show in houston that is less coarpate and less handcuffed on what they can and cannot say

1560 or 1580 FM am ????? was another station but i forgot the numbers ...but does anyone know any other sports shows in houston ?????
You know if you actually read posts in this very same thread you would find your answer. Or you could use google. But, no, 610 is the only sports radio in all of Houston.

mancunian

Old Timer
And CBS have stopped streaming stations outside of the US. Which is a pain as I use to listen to 610 and KILT Country

GP

Go Texans!
I would love to be a radio guy there and talk Texans every day.

I think 90% of us would be better than what you guys have described of the real radio guys on here.

OzzO

.. and then?

610 am
790 am
1560 am
97.5 fm

Those are your selections with varying amounts of corporation.

Cool for Marc, sounds like a nice gig.

He and Rich Lord are the last stomachable guys on that station, and I won't listen to Lord for obvious reasons.

I truly cannot fathom how 610 does so well on ratings. I know they have reputation due to their longevity, but the quality of program is simply not comparable to 790. It's hard to believe reputation goes that far.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
And CBS have stopped streaming stations outside of the US. Which is a pain as I use to listen to 610 and KILT Country
The only thing you're missing on 610 is the the weekly interview with the Kubiak and the star players like Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub....but none of them really ever say anything anyway. 790 and 1560 get the 2nd tier guys, but they get a lot more out of them than footballspeak.

790's probably the best of the sports stations anyway. You're not missing out on a whole lot. The only show I really ever listen to on 610 is Barry Warner because the only local thing on then.

I always thought that VDM having a show on 610 was a conflict of interests anyway. If he really believes what he says, then he's a robot. If he doesn't believe what he says, then he's not being honest.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
He and Rich Lord are the last stomachable guys on that station, and I won't listen to Lord for obvious reasons.

I truly cannot fathom how 610 does so well on ratings. I know they have reputation due to their longevity, but the quality of program is simply not comparable to 790. It's hard to believe reputation goes that far.

There is now more commercial time than talk time...........and half the "talk time" is about unrelated and uninteresting and ridiculous subjects.:chef:

Rey

The only time I used to listen to 790 was on my lunch break when Jim Rome was on 610...And occasionally I'd listed to Rome over them...

I love 610 and now that they have canned Rome almost never listen to 790...

HTown2ATX

TexansMetalhead
I like 610.....call me crazy but I actually like the Vandy and Lopez show and this will suck IMO....

No I don't think they put Innes on with Lopez in the morning...he works well with Lord IMO chemistry wise. Innes can be a complete ass but I hate him more for his $hitty music he always tries to sing and play on air more than what he says about anything else! The 80's were an atrocity IMO musically and he constantly drags it up.

I actually listen to 610 everyday online during the week pretty much all day but I can't listen an hour or so sometimes during meetings so I must have missed this announcement. I heard someone reference it on air but didn't have details and didn't know if it was a joke or not but I guess not.

Now that they got rid of Rome (thank GOD) the only issue I have is with the show that replaced Rome, "Mad Radio" with Davies and Meltser.....that show needs ND Kalu on every single day IMO. They are not good without ND. I like Meltser but Davies grates on me pretty bad. He seems to ask dumbass questions just to ask them and see if he can stir up a non existent argument.

Also, his use of the phrase "we'll kick that around"....holy fuq....every other sentence seems to contain that phrase.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I liked Vandy....just couldn't stomach listening to Lopez.

& sadly Lance has begun to get on my nerves on 790 now so i can't listen to 790 in the mornings now either.

Guess its on to ESPN 97.5 now...

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
I liked Vandy....just couldn't stomach listening to Lopez.

& sadly Lance has begun to get on my nerves on 790 now so i can't listen to 790 in the mornings now either.

Guess its on to ESPN 97.5 now...
You too? LZ has his obnoxious moments. Doesn't help that he's on with Matt "King of the D-Bags" Jackson's sorry ass.

I haven't noticed any changes in LZ. What am I missing? I think Matt, Adam and LZ in the morning are great listening. And LZ without that i.diot Granato is way better.

I haven't noticed any changes in LZ. What am I missing? I think Matt, Adam and LZ in the morning are great listening. And LZ without that i.diot Granato is way better.
His ego has gotten huge. He pulls the appeal to authority card way, way, way too often.

I used to be a huge fan of his, but not so much anymore. I still appreciate his perspective and knowledge, but I like listening to him a lot less now.

(Still the best show on Houston radio, though.)

Rey

I like 610.....call me crazy but I actually like the Vandy and Lopez show and this will suck IMO....

No I don't think they put Innes on with Lopez in the morning...he works well with Lord IMO chemistry wise. Innes can be a complete ass but I hate him more for his $hitty music he always tries to sing and play on air more than what he says about anything else! The 80's were an atrocity IMO musically and he constantly drags it up.

I actually listen to 610 everyday online during the week pretty much all day but I can't listen an hour or so sometimes during meetings so I must have missed this announcement. I heard someone reference it on air but didn't have details and didn't know if it was a joke or not but I guess not.

Now that they got rid of Rome (thank GOD) the only issue I have is with the show that replaced Rome, "Mad Radio" with Davies and Meltser.....that show needs ND Kalu on every single day IMO. They are not good without ND. I like Meltser but Davies grates on me pretty bad. He seems to ask dumbass questions just to ask them and see if he can stir up a non existent argument.

Also, his use of the phrase "we'll kick that around"....holy fuq....every other sentence seems to contain that phrase.
I like brad...lol.

I've actually liked him from when he was on Davies and dukes on 790. That was when I first started listening to sports radio.

Titans Sux 72

Waterboy
Josh is a freaking idiot. "I..I.....I..." Josh loves him some Josh. Lopez is ok 610 has really gone to chit. I love the Texans show on Tuesdays but that's it. LZ and Wex needs to drop that doofus cougar Matt like a bad habit. Cramps their style.

midway

Waterboy
Josh is a freaking idiot. "I..I.....I..." Josh loves him some Josh. Lopez is ok 610 has really gone to chit. I love the Texans show on Tuesdays but that's it. LZ and Wex needs to drop that doofus cougar Matt like a bad habit. Cramps their style.
I actually think the addition of LZ made that show worse. However Josh Innes is the worst guy on radio in Houston. (Because 1560 doesn't even count. I'm glad Granato is over there where no one listens, **** he was annoying)

TexansLucky13

53d Signal Batt
If this is a stupid question feel free roast me for it, but I haven't seen it addressed anywhere. Does this mean he won't be doing gameday broadcasts with Andre Ware anymore? I don't get to see most games over here in Maryland and I normally listen to them.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
If this is a stupid question feel free roast me for it, but I haven't seen it addressed anywhere. Does this mean he won't be doing gameday broadcasts with Andre Ware anymore? I don't get to see most games over here in Maryland and I normally listen to them.
I'm pretty sure he's still the de-facto play by play guy.

Wolf

100% Texan
ENTERCOM Sports KCSP-A (610 SPORTS RADIO)/KANSAS CITY host NICK WRIGHT is staying on frequency but moving to TEXAS to take over as morning co-host at CBS RADIO Sports KILT-A (SPORTSRADIO 610)/HOUSTON, starting JUNE 5th. WRIGHT fills the slot alongside JOHN LOPEZ left vacant by MARC VANDERMEER's move to work full-time for the HOUSTON TEXANS (although VANDERMEER will continue to be heard on the station as the play-by-play voice of the TEXANS and on TEXANS-related programming).
http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/105823/nick-wright-joins-sportsradio-610-houston-as-morni

Apparently, there is plenty right with Nick Wright, a Kansas City native and the host of “What’s Wright,” the popular afternoon-drive sports talk show on KCSP (610 AM).

Rumors that he was leaving for “a top-five market” had been circulating for days, but confirmation came Thursday when Houston-based KILT (610 AM) announced that it had hired Wright to replace Marc Vandermeer. He will team will John Lopez on the station’s morning show beginning June 5.

Wright, 27, a Syracuse graduate, had mounted the most substantial challenge yet to rival Kevin Kietzman’s afternoon show “Between the Lines” on WHB (810 AM), which has dominated talk radio for more than a decade
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/10/3605466/nick-wright-to-leave-610-am-for.html#storylink=cpy

BullBlitz

Section 331
610 has become such a homer station that I can't stand it. Softball questions, lame interviews with athletes who never say anything. Useless. Rich Lord is the most corporate say-nothing on the air.

790 gets better every month. Lance has teamed up with Matt and Adam in the morning. Koch and Kalu on In The Trenches. Much better content and they also take calls.

speedfreek

All Pro
790 is the best now. Used to be 1560 until they became the corporate wonks they used to rail on.

With LZ on the big show the only time I turn off 790 is when Gwinn comes on.

Too many DB's on 610 -- Lord, Lopez, Inness. They're all Gwinn'esq IMO

TJ

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
LZ, Kalu and Koch are great. They provide honest insight. Unlike the homerism over at 610.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I have gone from a several hours of radio per day listener to almost never listening. I want to hear the opinions of fans even if some opinions sound dumb. I want a "sports moderator" not a "talking head". 610 to sports is like WWE to sports. If I wanted comedy, birthday/celebrity or movie reviews I can get that elsewhere.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
I like 790 mornings but I really wish they'd stop saying hash tag this hash tag that. Enough already. I get it you like to tweet but you go overboard and sound like twatts. I like nd alot can't stomach koch. What kills me too is the morning show on 610 and them letting Larry in stafford drone on and on and on and on and on. Dude is not famous but he acts like he is. He kills any momentum or flow. I tried 1560, that didn't last. I don't want them to fire iness I just wish was not on during football season. Put him on at 1am to 5 am.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
I like 790 mornings but I really wish they'd stop saying hash tag this hash tag that. Enough already. I get it you like to tweet but you go overboard and sound like twatts. I like nd alot can't stomach koch. What kills me too is the morning show on 610 and them letting Larry in stafford drone on and on and on and on and on. Dude is not famous but he acts like he is. He kills any momentum or flow. I tried 1560, that didn't last. I don't want them to fire iness I just wish was not on during football season. Put him on at 1am to 5 am.
#ScatteredThoughts #AllOverThePlace #RadioTalk

b0ng

Bad Hombre
FM 97.5 is supposedly the most popular sports radio station in Houston. I can't stand Colin Cowherd though so I almost never listen. Scott Van Pelt is alright, but all these guys are national.