Texans Trying to Fix inside the 20 Breakdowns

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Sep 30, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The Washington Post reports:

I think people are just fooling themselves. There is something terribly wrong........lots more than just not having Foster. If you just have a mediocre RB, mediocre QB, mediocre WRs, mediocre line........and even a mediocre coach, you should be able to scrounge up more than an average of 1.8 yds per attempt...........and we are not talking about only 2-3 yd goal stances.........we are talking about some red zone attempts being well away from the goal line within that 20 yd distance from the goal line. No, something other than the absence of Foster is just not right.

2. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

i just think schaub doesn't have that touch within ten yards. i swear our wr's have to work to catch his passes, it's as if he has no short or deep game but is solid from 10-40 yds. he can't throw a quick slant to save his life it seems. you would think with AJ we would throw that slant more often but we don't. we also dont have that dude to throw a jump ball to ala plax. maybe foster will help but i put it on schaub

3. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Aran Foster

4. drunkcookie

drunkcookie 2 drunk 2 cook

I think it's been the play calling the last two weeks...

they had one RB that they had faith in (see Slaton shown the door)... I feel a Ward/Tate combination would have produced more in the redzone , not just Foster... They tried drawing other things up, and it didn't work...

Foster coming back healthy should fix it is what I'm thinking... Ward coming back and Foster still being out would help fix it also IMO... How many times did we see Foster or Ward do well between the 20s, then the other come in with rest and make it happen in the redzone? They have yet to have that option this year...

But just my opinion... I don't see any other difference between last year and this year that would suggest that something else is wrong...

[I don't see Leach being gone as a difference effecting the redzone offense just yet...I may be proven wrong... we'll see at the end of the year...]

5. CloakNNNdagger

I guess then there are no teams out there that can punch it in without a star RB?

6. drunkcookie

drunkcookie 2 drunk 2 cook

Which is why I said it's the play-calling... with a healthy 1-2 punch, the offensive staff has confidence in what made them a good redzone team last year... they haven't had that this year, have strayed from it and done a bad job of replacing it...

Running once in the redzone and passing the other two downs isn't what the Texans were doing in the redzone last year...

7. CloakNNNdagger

No argument there at all.

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

:thinking:

ARIAN FREAKIN' FOSTER!

Problem Sol-Ved!!

9. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

So why exactly do we not have any plays that involve AJ going to the corner on a fade route? I see it work against us, but I never seen them try that with AJ. His number doesn't seem to be called much inside the red zone.

10. CloakNNNdagger

It's either a pitching problem or a catching problem..........and I'm betting that it's not the latter.:kitten:

11. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

It's on the players. I don't care what you call, if the players don't execute properly or half-azz execute their assignment or fail to execute altogether, then the play will FAIL.

There's one play that sticks in my craw from the Saints game. I think it was 3rd & goal on about the 9; we were up 10-7 so it was mid 2nd qtr. KW was wide left, AJ was wide right but in motion to the left. Casey was the lone HB and OD was tight on the right and Dreessen was tight on the right. The play was supposed to be a quick 3-step drop (I base that assessment on the short patterns that were being run). Schaub threw the ball in AJ's direction on his first step back. In fact he threw some kind of bozo jump pass thing that was behind AJ. Had he waited just one more second for the play to properly develop, he could have hit Dreessen about two yds deep in the endzone because AJ and OD were on the right and Casey was coming out of the backfield in that direction. So three receivers in the same area got the attention of the Saints DBs leaving Dreessen wide open. Instead, he threw it early - AJ wasn't even looking back yet. The Saints were dropping back into zone, so there was no blitz in his face.

A little bit of patience, a little bit of redzone poise and we would have had six instead of kicking our second FG in a row.

The play's strategy worked perfectly; get the D worried about the overload on the right then throw it left. But poor execution resulted in FAIL.

So I don't care what you draw up in the dirt. If the players don't execute it properly, chances are the play will fail.

12. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i think it's a number of things. it all starts up front and as we know we dont have the offensive line or scheme to brute force our way in closer quarters. from there, tate doesnt yet have the vision to make the most of the tiny lanes that we do open. foster will overcome those deficiencies. finally, schaub gets increasingly jittery the closer we get to the endzone and playcalling didnt help him much against the saints. we need more leaks and dumps (teehee) in the redzone to keep him comfortable.

13. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

:hmmm: Generally speaking, Because they 16 people on him. :slapfight:

No seriously, that's part of it but also partially true.

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I would like to see more receptions inside the 50 taken to the house. How many TDs were results of a pass outside of the 30. Don't need a power back or goal line stance for those points.

15. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

You're pointing out something that has been sticking in the back of my mind and I don't want to admit-- More often than not, Schaub appears to not think clearly under pressure. We've all seen the examples. It seemed worse than I've ever seen it during the Saints game. My dad told me Kubiak had some words with him. Now it's something I'll have to watch for.

16. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

Redzone failures are a direct result of qb indecision. If you think or pulled up all the average redzone teams, it points to qb play.

In the redzone, the accuracy of a qb is really highlighted. Also, the ability of the qb to fit a ball in a tight space unless the team can run it in. Houston has been a godd red zone team 1 time under kubes and that was last season.

17. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Bingo!! MS ain't no Drew Brees, and never will be!!

18. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Did we have a good redzone offense last year? Yes. Has our offensive scheme changed? No. Have we only played 3 games? Yes. What is the missing link from last year? Arian Foster. Why? Who cares as long as Foster is healthy.

19. Joeycharp89

Joeycharp89 Veteran

I'm actually becoming a little worried about this. Seeing a few plays of Casey blocking for Tate, well they don't look as clean as Vonta's blocks. I'm hoping he improves though, since he brings so many other assets to the position.

20. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Has Vickers been in on any of these plays? The one player we're missing from last year is Leach.