Texans trades

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Meloy, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

Assuming we end up with one of top 3 picks, does it make since to trade Carr and go for Matt Leinert? Salaries would be about same & we could use the $8 million. Trade Walker who was identified as a probable starter for most teams? We should be able to get low first or high second for each. Leinert should be no worse than Carr, even if he sits behind Banks one year. We could package picks to go after a left ot. I do not see a big jump in wins in 2006 no matter what is done.

2. Frills

Frills Veteran

Carr's bonus is at the end of the season, not start of next...so since the trade deadline is passed, there is no trading him.

Either pay the 8 mil, or back to square 1 training a new QB how to run an NFL offense.

3. It would make sore sense to trade down and get a good LT in this draft and then pick up other quality players with those picks.

4. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

How would trading your best DE help the team???

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Well, it would suck up about $7.5 mil in that pesky cap space as dead money.

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I don't want a rookie QB next year. We've got enough problems to worry about, IMO.

We've got an offensive nucleus - Carr / Davis / Johnson. Put a consistent line in front of them, a decent TE, and solid #2/#3 WR and we'll see more success.

Of course, our D is another story altogether.

7. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I agree we do have enough problems, sitting Leinart behind Banks for a year would be no better. I still think we have a chance with the "nucleus" with a much improved O-Line and surrounding cast. I think Armstrong and Mathis should see more playing time as well, and get rid of Bradford. Isn't he on a one year deal this year?
    If we did get one of the first couple of overall picks, trading down for a couple picks lower in the first round sounds like a good idea to me.

:texflag:

8. mean mark8

mean mark8 Veteran

IMO, if we do have one of the top picks next year and Casserly is in charge of it, we'll make a bonehead move that won't help the team. I don't know what it will be. I imagine something like trading it for a lower 1st and 2 seconds, where we'll give the 2 2nds to Philadelphia for TO and reach on the late 1st rounder as a project player that won't produce for at least 4 years. Probably another smallish DE that we want to convert to OLB. We can never have enough of those.:sarcasm:

9. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Why pick a qb with NO mobility instead of an o-lineman?

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Getting rid of Walker would be just another dumb move by the Texans. We don't have enough good defenders as it is.

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Mobility has nothing to do with giving up sacks if that is what you are referring to. The most sacked guys in the league each year are the mobile guys (Culpepper, Vick, Carr etc.)

12. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

Why would we want to get rid of Carr? Draft Reggie Bush and let him in the backfield and get some line men in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Job complete...

13. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

Uhh, noooo! John McClain said if Carr was let go, a long line of folks would line up to grab him. Not signing Carr would probably be the biggest mistake the Texans could ever make.

14. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

Why would you want Bush when you have Dominick? Drafting Bush would be crazy when you can trade down and stack your offensive line.

15. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

You mean like when he drafted Dom Davis in the fourth round?

16. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!

why do people think bush would succede on this team more than DD. While i agree he is not our permenant back, he is fine for now.

Draft stratagy in first round:
    2005: D'brick
    2006: Olsen from the U
    2007: Peterson

17. texplayer2

texplayer2 Veteran

I like this as a start. You need the best talent you can get in the first rnd. And go buy some better linemen. If our line was decent this year we might have been contending for the play-offs, but we would still have been miles away from the SUPERBOWL. Our defense isn't that good and the Colts will beat us up for the next few years. Bush would improve our team in several positions(versatile). Why does everyone think you would get rid of Domanick Davis if we picked up Bush? We are currently carrying more than one rb. I think it will take several linemen to make our team better, Carr is not getting hit from just one side. He doesn't know which way to go. Getting a new coach for the linemen might also help, instead of promoting them to offensive coordinator?

18. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

you cannot just go "buy" top tier offensive linemen. Studs like you are likely refering to in order to keep Carr upright have to be drafted and developed. When was the last time you saw a team put a good LT or RG or w/e on the FA market? that's not even talking about the elite ones! it doesnt happen. (Orlando Pace was only using us, as i am assuming this will be your arguing point.) guys might chose to leave, but they wont come here.

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

which is why the Texans should draft the BTA (best tackle available) in 06 :cool:

20. WiiBrawler

WiiBrawler WiiMan

Thats because they're o-line sucks, and the team doesnt care becuase they're fast enough to avoid it,