Texans trade up; your scenario?

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by thunderkyss, Apr 19, 2013.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If you were the Texans & you were thinking about moving up, what's your thought process?

Is there one or two guys you have to have, then if one of them is gone you get on the phone & do what you gotta do to get your guy?

Do you have a range; if so & so is there past...... 10, we're going to get him.

Or is it absolutely out of the question; too many guys to be had in the 2nd & 3rd & your MO is to drop back & acquire more picks, especially for next year?

2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Too many. I wouldn't trade up. I think the quality and the quantity are fairly close in this draft: outside of the 2 LTs.

3. Rey

Rey Guest

Just my preference, but if Dion Jordan dropped a bit I'd move up to get him. Love his game. I remember back when I first started looking at the prospects and he was rated as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I predicted he'd rise up draft boards...I've seen him mocked as high as #2 overall....

Same thing happened with Bruce Irvin last year. Another guy I really wanted that started off lower ranked. But Jordan is a much better player overall than Irvin is. Not even close.

If I'm the Texans, he's a guy I'd move up for. I think in this defense he would be dominant.

4. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Yeh I don't think there is any chance of him falling but you never know. Star Latui and Sheldon Richardson are two players I would seriously consider moving up for. If either are there at 15 or later I'm at the very least kicking the tires

5. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Rey and Mussop mentioned the only guys that are on my list of being worth trading up for, Dion Jordan, Star Lotulelei, and Sheldon Richardson. Of course trading up is all dependent on how high to trade up and what the cost is, cause trading up can get expensive quick. I seriously doubt it happens but if any one of these guys falls to the 17ish range then Rick should be on the phone testing the waters and finding out the cost.

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Just for my edumacation, what do you guys think it would it take to move up to 15 or 10?

7. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minnesota-vikings/2011/4/30/2144475/2011-nfl-draft-trades

If we look at those scenario, I would venture to say that to move up to the 15th spot will probably cost us our first, second, and either a third or a fourth.

We will probably need to add another player to move up to 10 (probably first, second, third, and fourth.)

Too costly, and therefore, doubtful that it will happen.
    When our roster has solid depth, we can do it (it would help with cap space - I won't get into that though; too complicated.)

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

There arent many scenario's where I would trade up - any of the prospects I'd be willing to consider moving up for would be in the top 10-12 and would likely have too great a cost in doing so.

Looking at this draft from pick 20-60 or so , there isnt a lot of seperation in talent. I'd likely be more inclined to make a move back from 27 than to move up.

9. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

No trade up for me.

I'm expecting 2008 redux for OTs in first round, with teams scuffling to move up for one.

Hopefully other teams realize how important the QB position is and we see 4/5 QBs drafted before 27. :corrosion:

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

But trade up for who ? Who's the target, the player the Texans would find so appealing that they'd give an xtra pick for along with their 27th overall ?

11. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Star and Cordelle pat would be my targets if they slipped to 15 or beyond but I dont see that happening and much prefer a trade back instead.

12. aussie_texan

aussie_texan Hall of Fame

only player i would trade up for is sheldon richardson guy is going to be a BEAST!

but i would rather sit still or move back then trade up

13. kingtexan

kingtexan Hall of Fame

No reason to trade up. Take BPA in the first round, then fill needs in the rest of the rounds.

14. Fili

Fili All Pro

Wouldn't trade up this year. Maybe next year but this class is full of positions that aren't top priority.

15. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I'm thinking next year will be a good year to jump up for a QB?

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

So what are you thinking? 12? If he drops past the 12th pick? the 18th?

& I look at it totally different. We've got nothing but depth. Newton, Wade, Jones, LeStar, KeShawn, Brooks, Mercilus, Mitchell, Dobbins, Sharpton....

We need to get some starters up in har.

17. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

When I talk about solid depth, I mean there's a starter ahead of the depth. :swatter:

You only give up several draft choices to get a really good players only when you don't have just one or two question marks at the starting position.