Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Trade Picks 47 & 78 for Phillip Buchanan

We spent a 2nd and one of our 3rd round picks this year on a guy who was taken 16 picks behind Carr. He has speed, experience, potential (whether fully realized or not) and has been looking for greener pastures. His cap hit will only be 700-800K through 2006. :thumbup

I'm anything but a big-time CC fan, but this deal looks like a good move from virtually any angle. I could give a **** what gangs of MB trolls think about this deal. (especially those from Oakland and Dallas who're still steamed about getting spanked by us)

At the very least we get a game-tested, experienced return man & corner to proivide some much needed depth. Time will tell guys / gals....time will tell.

DocBar said:
Maybe it's just because I'm watching an awful movie(Bulletproof Monk) or I had such a high opinion of CC, but my season of optimism just turned into a season of dread. Maybe Buchanon can be team guy, but I doubt it. His selfish behaviour and inconsistant play will haunt the Texans for years because of the draft picks we'll miss out on. Davis may be crazy, but he's crazy like a fox. And he just screwed the Texans for several years.

If there is any formula for getting a reenergized 1st round talent, it is this scenario (from the previously posted article):

"It should be a good move for Phillip," said one league source, adding that Houston defensive backs coach, Jon Hoke, was very familiar with Buchanon, having recruited the former four-sport star at Lehigh High school in Fort Myers during's Hoke's days as defensive coordinator at the University of Florida. "The Texans have a disciplined coaching staff that should be able to get the most out of him."

this is a sweet trade im diggin it...and yeah both sides should be happy with it.....damn i cant wait for the season to start!!!!

The Texans traded a 2nd and 3rd pick for Buchanon. Don't forget that we still have a extra pick in the 3rd.

Texan-Bull04 said:
So yall dont think that trading Buch- for a #9 spot giving us a 9 & 13 in the first round is a good idea :thumbup :thumbup
If we could get it, I'd be all for it....doubt it would ever happen though.

I like the trade:youth, speed, and cheap. Not bad. I also think our teams strong character will straighten him out. Although I will be sad to see glenn go :( ...but I guess it is business.

This strengthens my opinion that Cass is Capers our building our team in the NE Patriot mold :hmmm: . Stocking up on LBs, getting rid of high priced players (shaper, possibly glenn), and getting players that other teams dont want anymore that have major upsides(PB= C.Dillion)

blockhead83 said:
Screwed us for years? Knee jerk reactions anyone?
YES screwed us for several years. That's what it will take for us to make up the lost draft picks.

Texan-Bull04 said:
So yall dont think that trading Buch- for a #9 spot giving us a 9 & 13 in the first round is a good idea :thumbup :thumbup

It's not really that big of a deal. He's a former first rounder anyway whos only 24(will be 25 by seasons start). You wont get much younger than that at the CB position.

Im telling you, Vandamer on FSN said the Redskin local paper (forgot what it's called) reported they were willing to give the 9th overall pick and a second or third rounder. We must of really snuck up in this deal.

i will start by saying that i am a miami fan, so i might be a little biased. i really like phillip and think that he can turn it around, if he tries. he already has the punt returning sport from jj and will be an upgrade there. hopefully he is ready to grow up and return to his form from the U, where he was maybe the best cb in the country. he was the most talented person in that 2001 secondary. the one problem could be the same problem he had in oakland, that he won't be the man when it comes to cb. hopefully his teacher deion sanders will straighten up "showtime", and make him into the player that he should be. i don't mind his cocky attitude aslong as he is shuting down his side. i will hold judgment on the trade till atleast after the draft to see who was available at the picks and wait to see him on the field. we could have the best duo of young cb's in the nfl if the trade works out.

Dunta plays the nick against the base 3wr packages due to his blitz skills and Glenn and Buchannon will take the outside wr's. With the new no-touch rules the 3WR set will be the predominant formation in the league I bet. Faggins will be the dime now.

here is a repost of what I just posted on another NFL board. Thought id post it here too.

Sorry im late ..was putting out fires on the Texans board.

ALRIGHT! This was a good trade for us.. one mans trash is another mans treasure.

some facts first:

1. He is fast, and he is an awesome return man. We have been stuck with JJ Moses as our return guy. I love JJ.. hes solid and hes a great kid.. but he is one dimensional and was taking up a roster spot.

2. he is FAST! We have been upgrading our speed on defense and this is a big step.

3. He will be a nickle corner for us for the next one or two seasons. I think he should really shine when all he has to cover is TEs and 3rd string WRs.. especially when...

4. He is going to be trained by John Hoke! our secondary coach is awesome.. he has turned our secondary into one of the biggest strengths for our team. on top of that..

5. Hoke was the guy that recruited him out of highschool when he was the DC in Florida. also..

6. He is still very young and has loads of athletic potential, and he will have the tutelage of Aaron Glenn.. who took Dunta Robinson under his wing last season.. and look how good he turned out.. also..

7. Scheme is everything. Just cause he struggled in Oakland (on a terrible defense with a terrible secondary and a terrible Dline consisting of 4-3 personel that they were trying to make into 3-4 personel).. doesnt mean that he is going to struggle in Houston in our system.

8. Did I mention he is YOUNG? 24 years old.. hes practically a rookie still.

9. This is a weak draft. The talent is only so-so in the 2nd and 3rd.. and we had 2 3rd rounders to work with. Logically.. we only gave up a 2nd rounder for him.. and he is a much better prospect than anyone we would have gotten in the 2nd.

10. He has the potential to replace glenn.. who only has one or two more seasons in him.

11. Robinson will be the starting CB.. when Buchanan IS ready to start.. it will be as the 2nd string CB.

12. Attitude COULD be a problem.. but his attitude was fed, watered, and cared for until it grew to its full potential in Oakland. We dont play that **** in Houston. There ARE no big egos on our team.. and if he tries to pull that **** here, hes gonna get smacked down. he will conform. Especially with the younger Dunta Robinson out there making him look bad if he doesnt play his position like he is supposed to.

BTW.. we gave our 2nd (47) and our second 3rd (78 i beleive)

It looks like a win-win situation to me. Oakland gets the picks they wanted to trade up in this draft.. and we got the CB we needed to provide depth, return capabilities, and replacement for Glenn.

All around good trade for both teams.

Buchanon was #17 overall pick in 2002. We traded a second and third round pick, (worth a first round pick at the bottom of the first round according to draft value charts). So even if you consider buchanon not quite worth a #17 pick overall he is a least worth a first rounder. More importantly he is a proven commodity, something which cannot be said for most draftees including many first rounders. I think CC may a good deal and Hoke & Co will show him how to play CB. I'm pumped :thumbup

Wow, I get home from the Astros game and I see this.

My opinion, great move. With the addition of Phillip, we now have a stout secondary with Dunta, Aaron, and Marcus.

Now think about what we can do with our linebackers now. Blitz, Blitz, Blitz.

I was really looking forward to Saturday. It's going to be over awful quick for me now... About what time should pick 13 happen?

TEXANS84 said:
Wow, I get home from the Astros game and I see this.

My opinion, great move. With the addition of Phillip, we now have a stout secondary with Dunta, Aaron, and Marcus.

Now think about what we can do with our linebackers now. Blitz, Blitz, Blitz.
go Stros', finally getting SOME run support.

rdbrem said:
I was really looking forward to Saturday. It's going to be over awful quick for me now... About what time should pick 13 happen?

thats a tough call, it depends on how many trades happen. i would say atleast 2 1/2 hours into the draft, but that is just a rough estimate.

David_Carr said:
Do you think that he has even the least bit of leverage to restructure...

He was unhappy with this contract in Oakland, so why would he be happy with it in Houston? Does a holdout create leverage when you are worth two draft picks?

hopefully Hoke has a bit of leverage of his own with him. The restructure may bring his cap hit up a little.. but he is going to be a nickle CB for at LEAST one season.. and we arent gonna pay him starter money no matter how bad he wants it.

thought i'd add #45 Glenn Earl to the mid round gems that CC, Dom, and company have unearthed. plus, he has my bday, so he is obviously the man.

Capers and Fangio liked to use a lot of 3-3-5 last year and I expect to see a lot more of that in this upcomming season. Our front 3, Walker, Payne and Smith doesnt look too bad. Wong, Greenwood and Babin seem solid too. Glenn, Robinson, Buchanon, Coleman and Earl is as solid a backfield as you'll find in the NFL.
I think this was a very solid trade. In the Texans history, they havent faired too well in the second round. They also picked up an additional 3rd rounder from the CowGirls for Henson; which is looking like a great trade now huh?
So now the only question is; what happens saturday? Now there's no way for them to more up, so it looks like DJ is out of the picture completley now. Alex Barron just doesnt seem like a good pick. I think Capers and Co. belive in our boys in the trenches and I think that now that they have played a few solid seasons together, they wont disapoint.
I'm thinking they go with WR. There are so many nice ones in this class. Troy Williamson is the most likley cannidate imo. If we're lucky maybe a guy like Mike Williams could fall to lucky 13.
If it's not WR, then i'm thinking they go with one of the top 3 RBs. Benson, Williams and Brown are all solid... it seems. And having a power game along with the finess of DD would be a nice little threat to have on offense.
Maybe Demarcus Ware??? But I think they like Peek this season... compition is never a bad thing though.
Who knows really???! but wondering about football is far better than watching any other sport.

dirty steve said:
thought i'd add #45 Glenn Earl to the mid round gems that CC, Dom, and company have unearthed. plus, he has my bday, so he is obviously the man.

Glenn Earl is #26, and you're lucky to share a birthday with a decent player...I have the same birthday as Maurice Clarett eek:

This is a good move by the Texans. They have the ability to sign him to a decent deal in a couple of years and he will be a nice replacement for Glenn next season. I am mad cause it looks like DJ is not going to be coming and neither is Carlos Rogers, but ohhh well. Buchanan can flat out play and he has tremendous hands, plus anything that puts JJ Moses on the bench is a good thing. He will be a solid player for us and possible trade bait later on.

This actually cements my feelings that we will go OLB in the first. Our defense is looking better now with Buchanan.. the speed is starting to show.. adding a young OLB to help with the pass rush (that we will have an easier time creating now with Buchanan) seems like it would be a very solid move for us.

I cant wait to play the Colts :). Go ahead.. bust out that 4 WR set.. Robinson, Glenn, Faggins, Buchanan, and Coleman.. good lawd!

This guy averaged 5.8 yards in punt returns last year, and he only fumbled twice out of 21 touches! He's going to be awesome!

He also returned 2 kickoffs in his career, so he's got to be a threat there.

DocBar said:
YES screwed us for several years. That's what it will take for us to make up the lost draft picks.

Nice chicken little reaction. Nobody in the world would have been surprised if the Texans used a 1st day pick on a CB so the net loss of picks on this deal is one. Sure does take years to make up for one guy--you realize they give each team 7 per year?

wags said:
He was unhappy with this contract in Oakland, so why would he be happy with it in Houston? Does a holdout create leverage when you are worth two draft picks?

Buchanon wasn't unhappy with his contract, he just didn't like being a Raider--didn't get along with the old or new coaching staff, didn't like the way the team was headed with the 3-4, etc.

he averaged a little under 14 two years ago and had two td, twice as many as we have ever had. he has had 7 tds, so he adds a potential playmaker on defense, which could really help.

I was on another draft thread trying to validate our (past now) 2nd round draft selection as CB Domonique Foxworth and add links to pastes & this trade happens?

Guess Charlie could'nt stand to wait until Saturday :heh:

this really addresses a need with essentially a proven NFL 1st rounder out of the University of Miami, for a second & third pick in the 2005 draft. as much as I hate to trade away draft picks this deal could really be good for the Texans. this really shores up the defense and if Peek is ready for prime time and can suffice in the pass rushing department, the Texans may actually draft Alex Barron and try to actually protect David Carr.

very interesting indeed :hmmm:

rdbrem said:
This guy averaged 5.8 yards in punt returns last year, and he only fumbled twice out of 21 touches! He's going to be awesome!

He also returned 2 kickoffs in his career, so he's got to be a threat there.

Try looking at the two years prior where he had 3 TD's on 51 returns and averaged 12.6 yards--comparable to the best in the league last year.

He obviously has good open field moves--of 11 INT's he has returned 4 for TD's including 2 over 80 yds.

But you are correct, he has not been a kick returner.

infantrycak said:
Buchanon wasn't unhappy with his contract, he just didn't like being a Raider--didn't get along with the old or new coaching staff, didn't like the way the team was headed with the 3-4, etc.

I guess I confused him with Woodson's "highest paid conerback" comment. :bag: I still think we will be lucky if he plays out the next two years under that contract.

Woodson has said for months he wants to be the highest paid cornerback in the league, a distinction currently held by Champ Bailey of Denver

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1955338

rdbrem said:
Did I mention his long return last year was 18 yards?

I guess you didn't read my post a few pages ago where I said that Buchanon was unhappy with the Raiders so he expressed that by not trying on punt returns...According to Raider fans, sometimes he would fair catch punts with nobody within 25 yards of him...If he stays happy here, he can be a big impact here...FWIW, this guy on Sporting News radio thinks that we got a steal, not that it means anything...

If someone could educate me..

When a trade like this happens.. does the traded player have to give consent? or is it all up to the teams doing the bartering?

Just wondering if he chose to come here or if we may have the same issues he had in Oakland.

Grid said:
If someone could educate me..

When a trade like this happens.. does the traded player have to give consent? or is it all up to the teams doing the bartering?

Just wondering if he chose to come here or if we may have the same issues he had in Oakland.

It is up to the teams. There is no reason to believe he will have issues with the coaching staff here.

D-ReK said:
I guess you didn't read my post a few pages ago where I said that Buchanon was unhappy with the Raiders so he expressed that by not trying on punt returns...According to Raider fans, sometimes he would fair catch punts with nobody within 25 yards of him...If he stays happy here, he can be a big impact here...FWIW, this guy on Sporting News radio thinks that we got a steal, not that it means anything...

But he fumbles two or three times every year. Has he always hated being a Raider that bad?

Got these from my fellow Raidersfan board:
Rebel:

Pros -
. LOTS of upside
. Big play maker [ but!!!... ]

Cons -
. Attitude problems
. Okay in coverage
. Dosent work on coverage skills because he thinks he is the greatest CB alive
. Will want the $$ soon
But bro it make look like alot of cons but you got a CB with alot of upside. I THINK HE JUST NEEDED A CHANGE.

ColoradoRaider:
PBuch is a talented corner. He has lots of speed and athletic ability. Despite what others may tell you, he is usually in good position on coverage but does not react to the ball well. His size also seems to harm him in that he cannot out jump receivers for balls. He will get quite a few picks because he gambles a lot and jumps a lot of routes, but he will give up some big plays too. Probably his best atributes are as a return man and when he does get an interception. He has scored a lot of touchdowns in the 2 1/2 years he was here for a defensive player. His attitude also seems to be a problem. He is cocky and brings a lot of attention to himself when he makes a play.

Overall, he is a very talented corner with good instincts but he needs to work harder and focus on the little things, particularly his technique.

GenMan:
Pros:

He is a playmaker in the sense that he will gamble and jump alot of routes looking for INTS. His coverage skills did improved this year to a degree. His coverage depends largerly on how much pressure your front seven is applying.

NEGS:

Doesn't provide any run support whatsoever, he is inconsistent in defending deep patters, he is capable of being turn around on simple out patters, hooks, stop or goes, fly patters and you can abuse him on screens. The guy is a horrible tackler in every aspect of the game. I remember him getting his *** ran over a couple times.

He doesn't play any press coverage or bump style of defense. Consistently he is 6-8 yards off the ball and doesn't want to be physical but rather relies on his speed too much.

For every great play he makes their are 10-12 head scratchers.

Conclusion:

You need to invest a STOUTFUL front seven to hide the glaring weakness of BUCHANON.

Back