Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans trade Osweiller to Browns

McNair said stop screwing around & get a QB.

He probably preferred we draft a QB. If you remember it was that off-season O'b said, "McNair's the boss, I do what he says." When asked about the possibility of drafting a QB. He didn't seem to be on board with that idea at all. Rick told those reporter's while McNair said to get a QB, the draft wasn't the only possibility.

In that same interview Rick said we're going to look at all the options, not just the draft. That McNair doesn't box them in.

They (Rick & O'Brien chose Osweiller) McNair wanted them to draft a QB in a weaker draft than 2017's. They found Osweiler, it didn't work.

At most McNair may have demanded they get a deal done by day 1 of free agency... preventing O'Brien from spending time with Osweiler. But to think McNair said, "I like that Osweiler kid. Make it happen Rick, suck it up Bill!"

I can't see that.

For O'b to be saying he never wanted Brock & wanted to go with Savage, then even after already giving up our 2018 2nd round pick to get rid of Osweiller we trade our 2018 1st to move up & get another QB... it doesn't make sense.

I wonder if the Savage detractors are prepared in the event he delivers the goods this season. I'm fully prepared in the event he doesn't but I'm not sure it goes the other way. Where will McNair and RS stand on this issue if O'Brien's project comes through?

At the moment, it appears Savage is getting better the more he works with the 1st team. Hope he keeps up the progression since it bodes well for the offense, O'Brien and the team.

I'm personally not a "Savage detractor." I just don't think the Texans believe he is a long term solution.

If he plays extremely well & holds onto the job I think the Texans (including Bill O'Brien) will be more surprised than I would be.

I'm personally not a "Savage detractor." I just don't think the Texans believe he is a long term solution.

If he plays extremely well & holds onto the job I think the Texans (including Bill O'Brien) will be more surprised than I would be.

Considering Obrien thought Mallet was better than Fitzpatrick and Hoyer, I wouldn't be surprised if he is surprised.

RS should have a dosier on Osweiler from the 2012 draft.
If he doesn't, he didn't do his job.

I'm pretty sure he showed it to O'Brien and the two of them checked out Osweiler's game films with the Broncos (along with other FAs).

They both like him enough and decided they don't want to draft a QB; so they went to seek McNair's approval.

There's no way that McNair can keep track of all the FA QBs as well as the guys to be available in the draft.

The reason I keep going back to McNair is because of what happened with Kubiak. Kubiak tried going back to Schaub and that annoyed McNair. To the point he fired Kubiak.

I had no problem with Kubiak getting the boot. It's just stuck with me. The theory of mine is that as long as you do want McNair wants you to, your job is safe. If not, see ya. Therefore, I don't think the HC has complete control of the roster like TK believes. At the QB position you start whomever McNair wants you to start. And regardless of ability, that person will either be a fan favorite or the guy with the huge contract.

The reason I keep going back to McNair is because of what happened with Kubiak. Kubiak tried going back to Schaub and that annoyed McNair. To the point he fired Kubiak.

I had no problem with Kubiak getting the boot. It's just stuck with me. The theory of mine is that as long as you do want McNair wants you to, your job is safe. If not, see ya. Therefore, I don't think the HC has complete control of the roster like TK believes. At the QB position you start whomever McNair wants you to start. And regardless of ability, that person will either be a fan favorite or the guy with the huge contract.

That was a unique situation. Probably wouldn't have played out that way had Kubiak not tried to protect Schaub with that 6 week pick six leash.

We may never know, but had he benched Schaub in that SF game & allowed Yates to throw the ball, maybe we go forward with Yates, who was pretty much a Schaub clone by that time.

But he didn't & he forced McNair's hand. Someone had to do something & McNair was the only one in position to do so.

Then we go another 6 weeks with Keenum building a lead by halftime, then the reigns are drawn in & he can't move the ball with the backup running back. Had Foster been healthy at that time, again, things may have turned out differently.

Kubiak throws Schaub out there & it blows up in his face. Had we won that game, McNair most likely let's it ride. Who knows.

I've seen McNair give his coach plenty of rope & they end up hanging themselves.

The nation believes the fans of the Houston Texans cheered that Matt Schaub got hurt against the rams. Because Kubiak waited to long to bench him, the fans were cheering that Tj Yates was finally getting to play.

This Sports Illustrated piece starts out good..................but what comes near the end is a familiar page out of Osweiler's playbook.

Brock Osweiler looks like a legit factor in the Browns' QB battle, not a salary dump

Even Thursday, as the Browns worked on two-minute drills during an abbreviated practice, it was a mixed bag for Osweiler. He did manage to complete his task: Take the offense from its own 37 into field-goal range, starting with 1:04 left on the clock. He also nearly threw an interception to Briean Boddy-Calhoun—the second-year CB was unable to tiptoe the sideline after an errant deep ball; it’s hard to say, without the benefit of a replay, whether Osweiler misread the play, there was a miscommunication with his receiver or the receiver simply slipped for a moment. And a second pass flew dangerously into the secondary for an incompletion, as one of those aforementioned “long strides” led to Osweiler overshooting a target across the middle.

“Brock knows it,” Lee said. “It’s just when we start moving around, the bullets start flying, his legs get long again like daddy long legs and that’s when he gets in trouble and the ball sails. It comes out of his hand too high, because of his long stride, his body doesn’t catch up. Any passer gets long, the ball comes out too early. Their brain says, ‘Let it go,’ but their body hasn’t caught up with their front foot, so the ball sails. It’s a lot of work to get a guy to master the footwork.”........................

This Sports Illustrated piece starts out good..................but what comes near the end is a familiar page out of Osweiler's playbook.

One would assume that he has been humbled. After taking on the role of the big man last year and assuming the mantel of the Texans team leader to failure and rejection prior to being traded and hearing that the FO of his destination team was excited about acquiring a #2 round draft pick, one would wonder if he would even show up.

But he did show up and it appears that he is finally willing to take coaching. However, it isn't easy to change ingrained habits and he is already 26 and starting over. Plus he is competing against a kid who will naturally be favored in the years to come. However it seems that he understands that he must change in order to have a chance. My guess is that he will split the starts with Kessler this year, but it will be Kiser in 2018 much like it will be Watson in 2018 in Houston. It will be interesting to see if one or the other of the two teams or both finally acquires their franchise quarterback for the long term.

One would assume that he has been humbled. After taking on the role of the big man last year and assuming the mantel of the Texans team leader to failure and rejection prior to being traded and hearing that the FO of his destination team was excited about acquiring a #2 round draft pick, one would wonder if he would even show up.

But he did show up and it appears that he is finally willing to take coaching. However, it isn't easy to change ingrained habits and he is already 26 and starting over. Plus he is competing against a kid who will naturally be favored in the years to come. However it seems that he understands that he must change in order to have a chance. My guess is that he will split the starts with Kessler this year, but it will be Kiser in 2018 much like it will be Watson in 2018 in Houston. It will be interesting to see if one or the other of the two teams or both finally acquires their franchise quarterback for the long term.
I'm working in Cleveland atm and I haven't seen a thing that says Os has been humbled.

2018 off season: trade to Cleveland Lamar Miller & Jalen Strong for our 2018 first and second rounds used in trades of Watson and Os. I think both players will have good years but Hopkins will receive an extension, Fuller becomes solid WR2 and at least one of the 'unknowns' step up..perhaps Wendell Williams. This combined with a very good 2017 by TEs and RBs receiving allows the trade. Following could provide depth.

Deante Gray will be in his second season post knee injury and he ran a 4.3 forty at his pro day. height 5'7.7

Justin Hardee 4.36 with 36 inch vertical

Riley McCarron 4.41 with 40 inch vertical

Former UT RB D'Onta Foreman has a remarkable first year and surprises many with his receiving capabilities.

Akeem Hunt maintains his 5.5 avg from 2015 & 2016 but has increased yardage to 500 yards as Hunt used his "get to quick" blazing speed 4.4 & 4.3 forty pro day to explode past defensive line and second level. He also was used effectively in kick returns. He will be given an extension. Also receives acclaim from O'Brien for his 2017 season receiving targets.

2018 off season: trade to Cleveland Lamar Miller & Jalen Strong for our 2018 first and second rounds used in trades of Watson and Os. I think both players will have good years but Hopkins will receive an extension, Fuller becomes solid WR2 and at least one of the 'unknowns' step up..perhaps Wendell Williams. This combined with a very good 2017 by TEs and RBs receiving allows the trade. Following could provide depth.

Deante Gray will be in his second season post knee injury and he ran a 4.3 forty at his pro day. height 5'7.7

Former UT RB D'Onta Foreman has a remarkable first year and surprises many with his receiving capabilities.

Akeem Hunt maintains his 5.5 avg from 2015 & 2016 but has increased yardage to 500 yards as Hunt used his "get to quick" blazing speed 4.4 & 4.3 forty pro day to explode past defensive line and second level. He also was used effectively in kick returns. He will be given an extension. Also receives acclaim from O'Brien for his 2017 season receiving targets.

I am sorry if I have misunderstood, but, as a Browns fan, it appears to me that you are essentially saying that since you consider Lamar Miller and Jalen Strong to be expendable, they should be traded to the Browns for one of our two first round picks and one of our three second round picks in the 2018 draft.

Two things:

First, you do not seem to understand the importance that the Cleveland FO places on draft picks. They were literally jubilant over the 2018 second round draft choice they got from you for taking Osweiler's contract off your hands.

Second, I doubt that the Cleveland FO would sign Miller and Strong if they were free agents much less give up draft choices for them. No offense, but I am not certain that the Cleveland FO would prefer Miller over Isaiah Crowell, for example, nor Strong over Ricardo Louis.

I am sorry if I have misunderstood, but, as a Browns fan, it appears to me that you are essentially saying that since you consider Lamar Miller and Jalen Strong to be expendable, they should be traded to the Browns for one of our two first round picks and one of our three second round picks in the 2018 draft.

Two things:

First, you do not seem to understand the importance that the Cleveland FO places on draft picks. They were literally jubilant over the 2018 second round draft choice they got from you for taking Osweiler's contract off your hands.

Second, I doubt that the Cleveland FO would sign Miller and Strong if they were free agents much less give up draft choices for them. No offense, but I am not certain that the Cleveland FO would prefer Miller over Isaiah Crowell, for example, nor Strong over Ricardo Louis.

Message to Rick Smith from the new Browns front office: We have become the new "screwer," you the "screwee." From now on any deals we make with you, bend over, grab you ankles...........and hold tight!:spin:

Message to Rick Smith from the new Browns front office: We have become the new "screwer," you the "screwee." From now on any deals we make with you, bend over, grab you ankles...........and hold tight!:spin:

Well, I don't know about that. But I don't think we have been screwed since the new guys took over. And I would note that they got a fifth rounder from the Patriots for Barkevious Mingo and a sixth rounder from the Steelers for Justin Gilbert.

The funny part about the Mingo trade was that, according to USA Today, the Mingo trade proved how smart the New England Patriots are. I must admit that that amused me even though I have always liked Mingo and was glad he got a ring. He is now in Indianapolis and I hope he does well there. Gilbert, of course, is a sad case particularly for me since I am an OSU Cowboy fan and really expected he would do well in the NFL. However, I believe the new guys in Cleveland did everything humanly possible to bring him back before giving up on him and getting a draft choice from the Steelers.

Tough thing about trades is that both teams have to accept them. Of course we'd do that trade. Not a chance in hell Cleveland would. That trade probably even gets denied in Madden.

Tough thing about trades is that both teams have to accept them. Of course we'd do that trade. Not a chance in hell Cleveland would. That trade probably even gets denied in Madden.

I doubt that the Texans brain trust is suffering as much anguish about giving up draft picks to rid themselves of Os as posters here do.

It saved mucho denereo for the franchise.

Our forward thinking GM surely weighed all the pro's and cons of not having any top draft picks in next years draft. That is what good GM's do.:rolleyes:

After all, we gave them to Cleveland and not our division rivals.

He can continue to stock the team with cast offs and injury riddled players, as long as they aren't listed on police blotters anywhere.

All we have to do is maintain our dominance over the AFC south to keep our owner happy.

Don't worry...Be Happy...We have a team to support. :doot:

:coffee:

Two things:

You definitely know your team better than I but here was my thinking: Crowell's 2017 is last on his three year deal and he turns 25 Jan 8th and has had four seasons with Cleveland with this year under a 2nd round tender which IIRC did not please him so much. I think he will be looking for a huge increase similar + a little bit more than Lamar Miller got. I would think Cleveland would offer that but my thought is he will go elsewhere. I'm not sure how the following will play in negotiations :
In July 2016, he posted on his Instagram a controversial image of a faceless person dressed in black, slitting the throat of a captive law enforcement officer with a knife; he later had the photo deleted and apologized for his actions.[
. If he does leave as I think, Brown's would look favorably on Miller despite your negative comment which you did not explain. Sure Crowell could remain post '17 but I could see this trade occurring.

Ricardo Louis? You based your opinion on one reception per game (18 in 16 games)? Sure he will make the team but starter? hmm. Of course as I was basing trade on Strong having a good season so I should allow that for Louis also and he did play for entire season. Understand I'm not playing him down but I see Strong as a safety net. You believe Britt has matured? He seems to have moved past the 9 arrests for driving violations. Who is going to be your QB that will give him stats he had in Philly last year?

Granted that I am an outsider and nobody around here is likely to care much about what I think, but while I might question the Osweiler trade, I think the decision to move up and grab Watson in the draft has merit. While it is possible that Watson will disappoint, I think he gives you as good a chance as any for a long term solution at the quarterback position. And if Watson succeeds as your long term quarterback, nobody is ever going to worry about the two first round draft picks you spent to get him.

You definitely know your team better than I but here was my thinking: Crowell's 2017 is last on his three year deal and he turns 25 Jan 8th and has had four seasons with Cleveland with this year under a 2nd round tender which IIRC did not please him so much. I think he will be looking for a huge increase similar + a little bit more than Lamar Miller got. I would think Cleveland would offer that but my thought is he will go elsewhere. I'm not sure how the following will play in negotiations : . If he does leave as I think, Brown's would look favorably on Miller despite your negative comment which you did not explain. Sure Crowell could remain post '17 but I could see this trade occurring.

In my mind, the Instagram is old news. Of course it is possible that Crow will walk. But if that happens, I tend to think that Sashi will either go after a FA or draft a running back. I don't think he would give up a first rounder for any running back in the league.

BTW, I would note that Pittsburgh placed a franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell this season. So Bell may not be terribly happy in Pittsburgh. I am sure that Sashi would love to have Bell at the expense of Pittsburgh and I can see him outbidding Pittsburgh for Bell the way he outbidded Cincinnati for Kevin Zeitler this year.

Ricardo Louis? You based your opinion on one reception per game (18 in 16 games)? Sure he will make the team but starter? hmm. Of course as I was basing trade on Strong having a good season so I should allow that for Louis also and he did play for entire season. Understand I'm not playing him down but I see Strong as a safety net. You believe Britt has matured? He seems to have moved past the 9 arrests for driving violations. Who is going to be your QB that will give him stats he had in Philly last year?

With Britt, you brought up a sore point. It appears that he has put the past behind him, but I wanted the Browns to sign Terrelle Pryor to a long term contract instead. However, Sashi wanted more than one year of production to justify the big bucks that Pryor wanted. However, Pryor signed a one year prove it contract with Washington and it is unlikely that he will stay in Washington after this year. My hope is that in 2018 he will be back with the Browns catching passes from Deshone Kizer. If Britt and Pryor both do well this year and Pryor comes back next year, with Cory Coleman, we might be swimming in wide receivers by 2018 even if we don't draft one.

With Britt, you brought up a sore point. It appears that he has put the past behind him, but I wanted the Browns to sign Terrelle Pryor to a long term contract instead. However, Sashi wanted more than one year of production to justify the big bucks that Pryor wanted. However, Pryor signed a one year prove it contract with Washington and it is unlikely that he will stay in Washington after this year. My hope is that in 2018 he will be back with the Browns catching passes from Deshone Kizer. If Britt and Pryor both do well this year and Pryor comes back next year, with Cory Coleman, we might be swimming in wide receivers by 2018 even if we don't draft one.

It surprises me that with Britt's shoulder injury that essentially took him out of the 2 last games of 2016, and had already had shoulder issues in the past, that the Browns would shell out such a generous long-term contract.

It surprises me that with Britt's shoulder injury that essentially took him out of the 2 last games of 2016, and had already had shoulder issues in the past, that the Browns would shell out such a generous long-term contract.

He appeared to be okay in OTAs. Not what I would have done, but I'll no doubt change my mind if he does well.

Original post was inappropriate due to misunderstanding of intent of original quoted post at first glance. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
Back