Texans Trade for Duke Johnson

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Jadmakaveli, Aug 8, 2019.

1. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

Nothing outdated about it, this isn’t draft chart, this is the highest compensation for a running back since the Trent Richardson trade. They over paid period, back up running backs making the 11th highest average salary at the position in the league don’t warrant a 3rd round pick. The Texans process is all over the place, they didn’t properly address this in the off season like they should have, the fact that they didn’t know who Foreman was shows the utter lack of competence in the FO and/or direction.

There are a lot ifs here, if there is injury, if he out performs, etc, yet there is no if, that if he stays you will be paying a high salary for a RB. There is no if that the pick is gone. This guy is 26, does he have value ?absolutely, but is his value anywhere near what they paid? Definitely not. He’s been in the league for 4 years, it’s unlikely he’s gonna significantly improve his game. If you are paying him like a top 15 Rb and it cost a 3rd, the guy should be a bona fide 3 down RB who should be the unquestioned starter.

But that’s not what any of the people on here who are applauding this move are saying. Its if there’s injury, nobody is even suggesting he’s gonna take Millers job.

This was a panic move from OB, those who fail to plan, plan to fail, and make no mistake about it, this move is a short term move at the expense of the future, and even the most optimistic fan doesn’t think we are a Duke Johnson away from taking the next step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

In case no one has looked, Duke has averaged around 350 yards rushing and 600 yards receiving the past 3 years.

I like him but skeptical of this profile in this system at that price

3. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Isnt it crazy that some folks think this guy is the next big thing but Cleveland saw him as totally expendable because they have not one but two guys better than him.

He is what he is, a really shiny band aid.

And we still dont have an effin thing at LT

Doesnt the line have to hold a block or two for a RB to get into the flat or slip through the line

Just sayin.....

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

No I am saying his 2019 contract of GTD $1.8m is cheap for RB if he brings what he supposedly brings. While I am ok giving up 3rd round I would not have. Having said that I look to what would better the roster and that would be if Higdon can surpass Johnson allowing us to perhaps trade DH to recoup something and use DH's savings in 2020 of $ 4 million. IMO for DH to be on roster after this season he will have to be extremely productive and not just a filler for Miller when he rests. No way do I see LM in future seasons. Can DH be the feature back going forward with a Crockett type behind him? Most will say yes. I will say maybe.

5. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

I think this move all but says, he is replacing LM after this season. Spending a 3rd for depth at the RB for only one season doesn’t make sense. I think they expect him to play out the contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I guess this is the spot for putting our thoughts on the record so here are mine.

Do I like the trade? Yes. So there's that but not without some caveats.

BOB and this team (as usual) had their head stuck up their ass this off-season and failed miserably. The best time to buy an umbrella is on a sunny day. The Texans bought theirs in a rain storm. The umbrella salesman always has the upper hand on a rainy day. How many RB's on the FA market that were freely available did they bring in or even attempt to sign? Bueller? Anyone? I mean the list was extensive and they didn't even try to sign anyone by all account. Then you had the draft and their idea of addressing the position was a couple of UDFA's.

Brilliant plan! If you plan is to fail that is.

But with the above stated and out of the way, if I judge the trade on where things stand now, and forget about the prior incompetence I like it.

We'll very likely have a couple of extra 3rds. Duke was originally a 3rd himself and how likely were we to find someone both better than Warring and better then Duke in the 3rd this year? Not too likely if you ask me.

And I like the idea of purchasing a known quantity. If y'all remember the old game show let's make a deal - they would put out a room full of furniture or something and then have a curtain. Monte Hall would say ok, you can have the new living room furniture (what you know), or you can take what's behind curtain #3 (what you don't know). Inevitably, the guy would say I'll take what's behind the curtain. They open the curtain and there's a freaking milk cow behind the curtain. Essentially, we're taking the furniture. Maybe there is a car behind the curtain - sure it's possible. But it's just as likely it's a cow. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

So just analyzing the trade itself - I'm fine with it under the circumstances. We waited for a rainy day and we bought the damn umbrella. So be it.

My fear is that this staff, and specifically buttchin, won't know how to use his new chess piece to the max. He's going to do what he always does and try to fit a round piece into a square hole and then everyone will raise hell saying he sucks, he's over-rated. No he doesn't suck but the coach employing him does. I truly hope I'm wrong, but history has a way of repeating itself.

All we can do is buckle in and enjoy the ride because Cal loves him some BOB.

Last thought - if the Texans aren't on the horn every day talking to the Redskins and doing whatever it takes to pry Trent from the Skins, then they are the most incompetent dopes on the planet.

7. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Fair enough, But that’s a personal thing. Fact of the matter is it’s only a future "asset"b/c it has not yet been used. All the Texans did was use it now instead of in 2020. Doesn't necessarily change its value all it really does is sort of limit the pick's potential...but even that isn't a certain.

[/QUOTE]

Which is precisely why its outdated. If what you're saying is true, then there wouldn't be as much uproar around here. Fact is, his "ability" has been limited b/c of his situation..even still his production with what little time he's been able to get has been good. Furthermore, his ability should be based on what the players potential is/can be in your system, on your depth chart, not what it was where he was at. When i buy a stock, i'm not buying it thinking that's just where its going to stay, i'm buying it with an eye on where it can potentially rise. In this case, you mean to tell me that had we traded Arian Foster in 2009 when he was just a back up to Slaton/Moats/Brown that his "value" was only a 4th, 5th rounder? Of course you wouldn't & he obviously proved that it was much higher than that in subsequent seasons with us.

Nothing to do with nothing really. I personally would want the proven commodity over the unproven even if it costs a little more in the short term.

You're right, there are lots of ifs...................... on both sides of this though. Ya'll are assuming "if" we don't give up the 3rd, we get better value with a drafted player or trade it elsewhere for someone else........"if" he didn't/couldn't beat out Crowell/Hyde he must not be a 3 down back & therefore not worth a 3...well smaller guys like Brian Westbrook, MJD & Darren Sproles all say that a guys value isn't always tied to how often he carries a ball from out of the backfield.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Texan Asylum likes this.
  8. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

It actually sounds like he excels in the slot receiver role which would mean some overlap with Coutee

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep, when you sign Hunt Duke became obsolete.

The difference in an org that tries to put the best players possible on the team vs what the Texans org does

ATXtexanfan likes this.
  10. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

I think he was actually disgruntled over there and "injured"

11. KoolAid Sipper

KoolAid Sipper Rookie

This is my thought as well. IMO, I think they, scratch that, Bill thinks he's getting LM's back up and future replacement all in one. I hope Duke can put together a full, healthy and productive season to prove the right choice was made.

12. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Tweet from @AaronWilson_NFL: Bill O'Brien on Duke Johnson: 'We have a vision for how we want to use him. We're excited about it. We have to get him rehabbed. We just have to get him out on the field and start seeing the vision we have for him.'

CWTexansFan and ArlingtonTexan like this.
  13. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

At this point it might be safer to trade for known players than unknown prospects.

14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

What does he mean "rehabbed"? Don't tell me this dude is working through an injury. I'd ******* lose it.

KA4Texan, santo and TheKDog like this.
  15. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

He had or has a hamstring injury, but people speculated he was faking it because he wanted to be traded

16. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

So, let me get this straight. We knowingly draft an injured player in the 3rd round, who pretty much stays injured. Then we give up another 3rd round pick to get another injured player?

17. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Well at least if he doesn't play 10 games it's only a 4th rounder.

Their coach says he wasn't faking it:

Freddie Kitchens defended Duke Johnson over speculation that his pulled hamstring may have been more about muscling his way out of Cleveland than an actual pulled muscle.

“Do not question Duke’s professionalism,’’ Kitchens said of the injury that’s sidelined him since the third day of camp. “Duke had a pulled hamstring. As an organization, you do not want him come back on a pulled hamstring and he pulls it again he is out for a month.’’

Johnson underwent an MRI on the hamstring recently and it was determined he’d need some time.

“We were trying to get him ready for the season,’’ said Kitchens. “We weren’t trying to get him ready to play tonight. I would not question Duke’s professionalism if I were you.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/08/freddie-kitchens-says-duke-johnson-wasnt-dogging-it-with-the-pulled-hamstring.html?outputType=amp

18. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Tweet from @PatDStat: Bill O’Brien on the addition of Duke Johnson plus ruling him out for work vs Detroit this coming week. Johnson suffered a hamstring injury day three of Browns camp. #Texans https://t.co/tJl0mwnDz8

19. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

This ******* organization is insane. :lol:

20. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Well in the offensive side anyway. The defense seems pretty normal.