Texans Trade for Duke Johnson

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Jadmakaveli, Aug 8, 2019.

1. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

@GrahamBarfield: These teams targeted their RBs on early downs (1st and 2nd) most often last season:

1. Patriots - 33%
    2. Lions - 31%
    T3. Lions - 29%
    T3. Saints - 29%
    T5. Giants - 28%
    T5. Raiders - 28%
    T5. Jaguars - 28%
    T8. Bears - 26%
    T8. Panthers - 26%
    T8. Seahawks - 26%
    NFL Average - 22.5%

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Link? Not you, Barfield.

Not looking real credible. 10 teams listed all way, at least 4% over average.

3. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Pats at 33% seems crazy high to me too though James white did get 87 receptions. I assume it's his own data

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Oh I agree.

Especially since two of your top three receivers were hurt and you were relying on rookie TEs and the line was bad.

Vet player like Miller who is better in space.

He probably should have had a lot more targets.

5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

With Duke on board I bet rb targets go way up.

6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Pats use the short passing game like a running game. Similar to how Bill Walsh did with the Niners, and the Bengals prior to that.

7. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Part of the long term pass protection strategy last year was for the rb's to chip before they went out. You also know the spread is less effective when your #2 & 3 WR's are out with injury the majority of the year. Apart from that, the chipping strategy was ineffective as a long term strategy mainly b/c the o-line was so bad that by the time the rb's came off the chip, DW4 was already running for his life. Got worse when Fuller went down. Aside from that, Teams blitz the dog hell out of you when you try to leak the rb out like that & make them huge parts of the passing game like that. Their goal at that point is to force you on the offense to keep him in for pass pro. Brady & co. got away with it.....well, b/c he's Brady....& also b/c they had Gronk working the middle of the field & he drew alot of attention by MLB's. To blitz 1 or both of the MLB's was to leave him 1 on 1 with a LB or a safety neither of which is a favorable match up......Plus, you know, their o-line is better.

Chris Carter discusses the defensive strategy here on undisputed.

Texas Jake and thunderkyss like this.
  8. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Hall of Fame

Just a thought, but is it possible that they had their sites on Johnson from the get-go and knew that's who they wanted? Maybe that would explain why they did not make a move in the off season...maybe behind the scenes, this WAS the move they were making.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  9. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Shame we didn't set our sites on him from the get-go of round 3 in the 2015 draft..

10. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Don't see it, they put to much work into Foremen to be planning on cutting him and bringing Johnson in. I like the move but I think it was very much a 'Geeze this guy sucks just as much now as he did before, we can't go into the season like this. Johnson is unhappy with Cleveland and wants out, call'em up and see what they'll take for him and have security throw Foremen out on his ass."

Texan Asylum likes this.

11. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Hall of Fame

Just as probable as well...I would think that they would know that though by now, or maybe they did and only tossed Foreman aside when that pretty when they knew that the deal for DJ was pretty much a done deal. Just speculating...

CWTexansFan and maverick512000 like this.