Texans to start up annual series with Saints

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.khou.com/sports/Texans-to-start-up-annual-series-with-Saints-83209052.html

Saints have a looooonnnnggggg way to go to get a rivalry like the Cowboys

2. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Only the fans have a rivalry between the Texans and the Cowboys. Teams who meet once every 4 years, and only if they are both in the SB do not make a rivalry.

Our true rivalry is with Tennessee.

WWJD likes this.
  3. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

What you said...

4. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Does this mean the series with the Bucs is over?

5. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Co-sign.

As for New Orleans, as long as it remains a pre-season rivalry, all they'll get out of me is a yawn. I rarely give a fig about pre-season games, and I have tickets to all the home one's.

It may make for a fun weekend trip to New Orleans, but that's about it. Pre-season games are rarely on my "must do" radar.

6. Line_Producer

Line_Producer Party Rocker

FTW.

Well, preseason tickets are factored into our prices. I'd rather pay for a team that's fun to watch. Plus, if you haven't noticed, the Saints fans have started popping up like flies here in Houston. Damn SB Bandwagon fans. :pirate:

7. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Wasn't it the Saints scrimmage or preseason game where there was so much fighting between the teams?

8. houstonspartan

And that's why I guarantee you we will see an 18-game season at some point. Season ticket holders are sick and tired of paying full-price for meaningless games.

Yeah, Saints fans are everywhere around here. They've been getting on my nerves, to be honest.

9. houstonspartan

Also, to be honest, McNair should be quiet and listen to Tom Benson explain how four years is plenty of time for a coach to turn a team around.

10. GP

GP Go Texans!

Meh, we're like the TTU of the NFL.

We think we have rivalries, but it's only on OUR end.

TTU thinks they are rivals with teams like UT and TAMU, but we don't have one with them. It takes two. Us Tech fans are the kids from across the railroad tracks who venture into the rich neighborhoods on summer nights and vandalize their homes and vehicles.

Now, if the Saints moved to San Antonio? I could see that becoming an in-state rivalry more than what we have with the Cowboys.

I think the Bengals have been a bit of a growing rivalry in recent years.

I miss the old days of the Oilers-Bengals-Steelers triangular rivalry and hatred we had between us. Sam Wyche, Glanville, Buddy Ryan, The Chin, etc.

LOL. It was like old school professional wrestling rivalries. It was The Freebirds against the Von Erichs, Terry Funk, Dusty Rhodes, and Four Horsemen type of hatred back in the Oilers-Bengals-Steelers days. Somebody was gonna' whup someone's azz and there would be a cut forehead before it was all over with. Someone was gonna' use the cast on their arm, or a rope, or a branding iron, or a cigar-to-the-face to humiliate their opponent.

I miss those days. I sincerely do.

11. GP

GP Go Texans!

Didn't Sean Payton have the Saints in the NFC title game vs. the Bears, too?

He was there for that. That makes TWO big playoff games for the coach. Two NFC title games.

And he's sitting on a possible Super Bowl title if he handles The Forehead.

Saints are going to win it. Colts can't stop Brees and his weapons. And I like the Saints defense this year. They are way far away from what they had last season, especially in the secondary.

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep

Saint fans in Houston are called Katrina victims.

Can you victims please go home.

Texans had IKE thanks for showing us how not to act.

Although free trips to the gentlemens clubs at the taxpayers expense would be alluring to some.

13. houstonspartan

Yep, that was Sean Payton. He did all of that in four years. That's just amazing.

Talk about a coach deserving of an extension? If I were the Saints, I'd lock Sean Payton and that coaching staff in for another 5 to 7 years with big raises.

14. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

Thank God we have you here to be the reminder police for this thread. :goodpost:

15. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

It's not every day that a team is able to sign a 26 year old Pro Bowl quality contract to a 2nd tier deal without giving up any compensation. That may have had something to do with the success. Basically, it's the equivalent of us not trading for Schaub but just simply signing him to his deal last season after he had 2 full seasons with another team and looked really good.

They deserve the credit, though, because they took an enormous risk with his "bad"shoulder and it really has payed off.

16. sandman

sandman Hall of Fame

All of that in 4 years? He took over for Haslett, who before his last season of 3-13 was 42-38 in 5 years with his worst season being 7-9.

Before this year, Payton was 25-23, going 7-9 and 8-8 the last two years, missing the playoffs.

In other words, he took a team that was consistently playing .500 ball and kept winning at that same rate until this season, when the team had a great year on both sides of the ball.

Not saying that he hasn't done an awesome job as a coach, but it goes against logic to look at the last four year sample size exclusive of the team performance in the immediate past.

Sean Payton and Gary Kubiak were not handed teams that were at the same level of success four years ago. All people want to talk about is the 3-13 record in Haslett's last year and conveniently forget the solid record that he had before that point. Gary took over a team that was fours years away from expansion and 18-46.

17. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

QFT. Just because I despise them doesn't mean we have a rivalry :)

18. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

This

Norm Hitzges was on 610 this morning. He is a long time Dallas radio personality. Smart guy. Vandermeer and Lopez tried to get him started on rivalries, etc and all he could say is they don't talk about the Texans up there. True. It is only here.

Both teams have nice division rivalries that are real rivals.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  19. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Rivalries exist in the mind of the fan and can be whatever you want them to be.

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member