Texans Time is Now

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tailgate, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Texans are the front page news right now over at CBSSportsline.com ....Interesting read.

Pretty much states what we already know, that the expansion label is now off and the pressures of winning are now greater than ever.

Link to article

2. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

If the Texans do not make the playoffs this year, I agree that it is not time to panick, but it will be time to make some serious changes in the coaching staff.
    Those guys should be able to coach up what they have well anough to do a sound job. If they can't, get rid of those coaches.

3. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

So in other words it will be time to panic, unless of course someone else has a different interpretation of "serious changes in the coaching staff"? Anybody? Anybody?

4. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

Nice article. I think the Texans should make the playoffs and I don't think David Carr has ever been the problem. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask the Texans offensive line to play a bit better than they did last year. I know we're capable of playing better than we did last year and hopefully we'll be able to show that to the rest of the league.

5. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Depends on the conference.

IMO, -playoffs, +10 and 8ish or better.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Looks like the guy cutting the checks isn't ready to panic. He comes off as quite comfortable with his 5 year plan.

7. Vambo, the Marble Eye

Vambo, the Marble Eye Veteran

:cool:

I know the Texan's organization believes that the average season ticket holder always has the option of voting with their feet. Financial pressure will no doubt override McNair's or anybody’s calm patience... and will screw up the best of intentions.

Although I admit that the attending the games is a great experience.... I believe it is the anticipation of winning that got me to shell out over $8k for PSL and two season tickets a year ago. Somebody needs to check my recollection, but didn't I read that one the largest attendance levels last year was a pre-season game??? The point... the anticipation of just a winning season is an extremely powerful element of what makes the "Houston Texan's game day experience". So it would take Houston going 7-9 a couple of seasons in a row before I look for someplace else to put my entertainment dollars.

8. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

The Texans are a good team. We have a lot of young talent. And I think we have a few players that will hopefully make it to the Hall of Fame. This year will be our best season. Should be fun to watch................. :excited:

9. KingRat

KingRat Rookie

whether or not it's good enough for the playoffs, ten wins is good enough for me :banana: :party: :pepper:

10. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

You know just looking at that picture of Buchannon in that article makes me realize that he sizes up pretty well with the taller receivers where Glenn really didn't.

11. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Buchanan is 5'10"
    Glenn is 5'9"

It's not that big of a difference...

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

If you're the guy who's 5'10", it is. :)

13. Blake

Blake MMQB

The article points out that 2-4 years is how long its taken expansion teams to get to the playoffs. Why do we have a 5 year plan?

Maybe our 5 year plan will help us maintain a playoff caliber team, instead of a one year fluke.

14. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

i wont be suprised if 9 wins doesnt get us into the play-offs, i mean the AFC has been pretty good latly and a wild card is what we'll be searching for next year. Although i wouldnt mind winning the division. :drool:

15. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

i could see us going 9-7 or 10-6 and still not making the playoffs. sometimes, like mcnair said, you can't control everything. with that said, 9-7 would be a good improvement from last season. i could live with 8-8, but 9-7 would be a great improvement.

16. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

Thats a very good point and exactly what I was thinking...perhaps Mcnair along with everyone else realizes that our division IS the toughest and hardest to get into the playoffs in...all in all, Im pleased with our defensive improvements...disappointed with the lack of offensive line improvements HOWEVER I do believe that the line will do better going into their 2nd year of their new blocking scheme which will pay dividends for Carr and Co. :highfive:

17. nWo

nWo Waterboy

do you think don cpaers will be coach of the texans? If they don't make the playoffs this year, you think he will get fired?

18. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

DING!! We're not building for the flash, we're building for the long haul

Ignoring the typo :) if they show some good improvement (per most here looking for the 9 to 10 win range area) then nope. If we get a playoff appearance based off that win range, that's just icing... or gravy... depending on your food preference.

.. and in case the article eventually goes away....

19. A Texan

A Texan Veteran

I think we should continue to be patient. When the Cowboys started it took Tom Landry 7 years to have a winning season. When he finally did they had many more and he ended up being the coach for 30 years.