Texans' Tate said he will play against Saints

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Aug 18, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Texans' Tate said he will play against Saints
    By JOHN McCLAIN

Texans running back Ben Tate expects to play in the upcoming preseason game.

Share Del.icio.usDiggTwitterFacebookStumbleUponEmail Close [X]There was good news and bad news at the Texans' morning practice.

The good news is that running back Ben Tate was back on the field. He said he would play against New Orleans on Saturday night.

Coach Gary Kubiak said he hopes Tate can play against the Saints, but he'll wait to make a decision. He wants to make sure his second-year runner is 100 percent.

The bad news is that inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans sat out another practice because of a bruised elbow. In regular season, an elbow injury wouldn't keep Ryans out, but Saturday is the second preseason game.

Running back Arian Foster practiced for the second day in a row. Cornerback Johnathan Joseph, who suffered a groin injury last week, returned to practice.

Kubiak plans to play many of his starters the first two quarters.

Quarterback Matt Schaub looked good in practice. He completed six long passes. Andre Johnson made a highlight catch, the kind he's known for. He'll play for the first time on Saturday.

Rookie receiver Lestar Jean, an undrafted free agent from Florida Atlantic, had another good practice. He caught almost everything thrown to him and continued to improve as a blocker.

After practice, Kubiak praised a lot of players, including inside linebackers Xavier Adibi and Darryl Sharpton. The Texans went to camp looking for depth at linebacker. With Adibi, who is much more physical than in the past, and Sharpton on the inside and Brooks Reed and Jesse Nading on the outside, the Texans may be developing some quality depth.

And that doesn't even count Bryan Braman, the 6-5, 230-pound undrafted free agent from West Texas A&M. He had 1 1/2 sacks off the bench in the victory over the Jets. Braman, who is quite a character off the field, has a chance to make the team at best and the practice squad at worst.

The Texans have a special teams practice this afternoon. It's the last of two-a-day drills. Camp officially ends Monday. The first roster reduction is after the third game against San Francisco.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl...stonChronicle.com+--+Houston+Texans+Football)

2. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Cushing doesn't return to his rookie form, he may find himself on the bench...or eventually cut.

3. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

This is really good news. I thought he played well enough the other night to earn some additional reps and hopefully he'll make the best out of his opportunities. Good for him.

4. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

No mention of Studdard or Caldwell. Any updates on either?

5. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I would guess that Studdard is going to miss some significant time, but I could be wrong. I think his knee was injured, IIRC.

6. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Ankle I believe. I've heard "weeks" to "season"
    You'd think there'd be some updates this far after the injury

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Both at least high ankle sprains. Studdard likely more. They should know the extent of Studdard's by now (MRI), but silence only.

8. GP

GP Go Texans!

If Braman continues to perform well, he won't make it to our PS.

This is where the coaches have got to know who would sneak onto the PS after waivers clear, and which players have to make the 53-man roster.

Braman and Jean, if they continue to go as steady as they did in Game 1, won't make it to our PS.

I also want to point out that WTAMU plays a 3-4 style of defense...so that means Braman knows how to function in it.

9. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

OK, my mistake. All I really remember about Studdard getting injured was when he pushed the trainers away from him when they tried to help him off of the field. I never gave it much thought after that.

Just curious, but is this guys always hurt or do we just not dress him on game days? It seems like I always see him on the sideline during the games and he's in regular clothes, not a uni. Anyone else notice this? It may not be "every game", but it seems like I've seen it enough to make a mental note of it.

10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

He's inactive a lot, not being a part of the 48 on gameday

I can't remember if they decided to change that rule in the new CBA

11. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

It will be good to see Tate in action. I think if he's healthy, he will be Arian's primary backup eventually.

12. sandman

sandman All Pro

:vincepalm:

I love it when PS fodder blows up the first pre-season game.

13. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

ya...we'll see

14. XI CMURDER IX

XI CMURDER IX Gig 'em

Slaton tweeted a couple of hours ago that he was back. So maybe we will see both of them Saturday.

15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

good, it's crowded in the backfield again. I like that.

16. Blake

Blake MMQB

Watching Ogobbanaya play well sure lit a fire under their asses huh?

17. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

That, and Kubiak getting on Tate. :)

18. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I think he meant he was back on Twitter, not back from injury.

19. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

We have not seen Cushing return to rookie form since the PED bust, and has been injured a lot since then. I don't think it's out of scope to say at this point he has to prove himself now. The way Sharpton/Abidi are playing sure puts pressure on him to get it in gear.. he's gonna need to juice it soon lol.

20. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

And I don't blame him.

Given 2nd-round boy's lack of performance while our UDFA was leading the league in rushing I can totally see why Kubiak never wanted to waste a first day pick on a RB. It's probably a bit extreme, but I can see why he felt that way.

let the bashing commence
    :runaway: