Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans tanking games to get the #1 pick?

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
This question was brought up on HBO's Inside the NFL. Both Dan Marino and Chris Carter thought it was a ridiculous question not even worth addressing. It was obvious that both felt that there was no way the Texans would be losing games on purpose.

There have been some that think the Texans are losing on purpose. However I also feel that is ridiculous. Why would Capers be a part of that? Either he knows he is gone at the end of the season, so why would he care where the Texans draft next season? Or, he might think he is still has a shot at coming back which losing won't help his cause.

As far as players go, what player would risk their job by playing badly on purpose just to improve the Texans draft position?

Hookem Horns said:
....what player would risk their job by playing badly on purpose just to improve the Texans draft position?

One who has a solid reputation for performance and is getting paid by somebody to screw up in game situations for a while--like Kris Brown, our kicker.

Not saying that it's actually happening that way or at all. I'm just saying that he'd be the one, or one of them. Personally, I don't see it happening either.

Hookem Horns said:
This question was brought up on HBO's Inside the NFL. Both Dan Marino and Chris Carter thought it was a ridiculous question not even worth addressing. It was obvious that both felt that there was no way the Texans would be losing games on purpose.

There have been some that think the Texans are losing on purpose. However I also feel that is ridiculous. Why would Capers be a part of that? Either he knows he is gone at the end of the season, so why would he care where the Texans draft next season? Or, he might think he is still has a shot at coming back which losing won't help his cause.

As far as players go, what player would risk their job by playing badly on purpose just to improve the Texans draft position?

If Capers or anyone tanked games on purpose, do you think they could ever get a job in the industry again. They will be working another place next year, I think they woundnt want it on thier record.

Tanking games reminded me of all the rumors about Warren Moon and the infamous BILLS game of long ago. No one ever proved that one either.

Dime said:
If Capers or anyone tanked games on purpose, do you think they could ever get a job in the industry again. They will be working another place next year, I think they woundnt want it on thier record.

Like I said, I don't believe it's happening either, but who's gonna fire McNair? :)

This subject is ridiculous so this will be my only post on it.
1) Intentionally tanking games to get a higher draft pick is ridiculous and none of the players would agree to it, they probably don't overly care who they bring in next year and aren't going to lose a game to get the #1 pick as opposed to the #2 pick. NFL players are too competitve for that and I know from experience in playing collegiate athletics that it pisses people off when they lose and they're not going to keep doing it on purpose.
2) Capers is on his way out for sure, so why would he tell his players to lose games and risk himself finding another job in the future just to help the team that is about to fire him?
3) How would telling your team to lose games and instilling that loser's mentality even more than it already is going to help a team? Bob McNair is trying to rid this organization of that problem, not encourage it.

Regardless if the tanking is true or not, I bet the NFL will impliment a lottery draft for the '06 season. While it's tough to prove these allegations, the idea is out there and I can assure you the NFL doesn't like hearing it.

The last time Houston allegedly tanked games for high draft picks (ie Sampson and Olajuwon), a lotto was put into place the following year. I'm willing to bet history will repeat its self, for better or worse.

Dime said:

I Really dont think they are tanking games but ..... IF they are the instruction to lose out would almost definately have to come from the owner .
That being said .... the above statement holds no merit to me on the basis of Capers following direct instruction from his owner .... He would in this senario be doing Exactly as told by said owner or some other upper managment (GM)....... WHAT KIND OF EMPLOYEE DO YOU WANT WORKING FOR YOU ? ...... one who follows instruction to the letter or one who doesnt ?

I dont like the idea of tanking games ....but I also dont think its such a black mark on one's resume when it comes from upper management either ....Capers will most likely be someone's DC next season .

HJam72 said:
Like I said, I don't believe it's happening either, but who's gonna fire McNair? :)

IF, for some reason it was McNair and was found out, they would pull his franchise in a heartbeat and fine hime out the wazzo. NO one in the NFL will willingly toss a game. The talk about tossing games is pure BS, but we have found some very interesting way to lose games and that is what starts it.

Does anyone remember that these guys did not hold a lead until like the 6th game of the year and had not been competitive in another game until like 3 weeks ago?

this team has no understanding of how to win a football game. They are not tanking, acting etc. Just a poor overall football team.

ArlingtonTexan said:
Does anyone remember that these guys did not hold a lead until like the 6th game of the year and had not been competitive in another game until like 3 weeks ago?

this team has no understanding of how to win a football game. They are not tanking, acting etc. Just a poor overall football team.

Except for when Tony Banks was starting. :fishing:

Bear said:
Regardless if the tanking is true or not, I bet the NFL will impliment a lottery draft for the '06 season. While it's tough to prove these allegations, the idea is out there and I can assure you the NFL doesn't like hearing it.

The last time Houston allegedly tanked games for high draft picks (ie Sampson and Olajuwon), a lotto was put into place the following year. I'm willing to bet history will repeat its self, for better or worse.

OK, one more post from me. I doubt they will put in a lottery system, the worst team deserves the top pick. Part of why the NBA added the lottery is because one single player can mean so much more to a team in the NBA than in the NFL so they wanted to prevent teams from tanking games to pick up that one superstar player that can completely turn your team around. In the NFL it is much harder for a single player to make such a big difference, and it is also usually harder to judge who will or won't be a star, as so many good players are taken with lower picks or in lower rounds. The vast majority of th good NBA players are taken very high in the draft and it is generally pretty clear who will become star players, about the only thing that might mess the predictions up is a player's work ethic that can't always be determined before the draft. Sure it would help prevent teams from tanking games and add a little more intrigue into the draft order, but it will still have all the complaints and suspicions of some conspiracy against certain teams, but it will be pointed at the league rather than teams. Even though the lottery is supposed to be all chance, there are people that doubt that too, I had a couple friends last year that were betting that the NBA would "make sure" either the N.Y. Knicks or the L.A. Lakers would get one of the lottery picks since both teams were bad last year and they are the two biggest media markets for the sport, so even with a lottery some people will have their doubts on the legitimacy of the draft. Also with an NBA-type lottery, any team that doesn't make the playoffs has a chance to get the #1 pick, so if the Chargers or Chiefs barely miss the playoffs but are still very good teams, they could end up with the #1 pick over a team like us or the 49ers that really need it.

Bear said:

Before the lottery, the NBA had a coin flip. But the league fines the Rockets for going to Vegas? :heh:

Anyway, I pretty much agree with MorKnolle's point.

Jan 1st - a Texans win and we're getting the number 2 draft pick. 49ers get the 1 pick. Whats the strategy lose on purpose to get the Number 1 pick or play to win for the pride of the team, the city and hell yourself?

I don't know about you guys but I hate losing - at anything. Even a bit of friendly poker with my dad for matchsticks.
I'd wont to win this game no matter at all costs cos thats the way I am.

And anyway whats wrong with the second pick in the draft?

mancunian said:
Jan 1st - a Texans win and we're getting the number 2 draft pick. 49ers get the 1 pick. Whats the strategy lose on purpose to get the Number 1 pick or play to win for the pride of the team, the city and hell yourself?

I don't know about you guys but I hate losing - at anything. Even a bit of friendly poker with my dad for matchsticks.
I'd wont to win this game no matter at all costs cos thats the way I am.

And anyway whats wrong with the second pick in the draft?

If they play to lose, fire them all. I do not want anyone on my team that has a losers mentality in their method of operation. But they will not. The notion just makes good conversation for other losers.

I don't think anything is wrong with the second pick. If you ask me, we are in the best position regardless of where we land in this draft. To me getting the #1 and getting Bush is great because he is an outstanding football player, but really we all know getting linemen both o and d is what this team needs. So getting the #2 pick just kind of forces us to go with our immedieate team need.

The best part of a limited lottery (like 3-5 teams) is that we would get rid of all these (blankety blank fans) who pull for their teams to lose. Rooting for your team to lose is like walking up to a fight and some stranger is kicking the hell out of your younger brother...and instead if helping your flesh and blood, you join in and further help to kick his butt too. Fans pulling against their teams is not good for the NFL.

Vinny said:
The best part of a limited lottery (like 3-5 teams) is that we would get rid of all these (blankety blank fans) who pull for their teams to lose. Rooting for your team to lose is like walking up to a fight and some stranger is kicking the hell out of your younger brother...and instead if helping your flesh and blood, you join in and further help to kick his butt too. Fans pulling against their teams is not good for the NFL.

The problem with only having 3-5 teams is that you will still hear conspiracies of teams fighting (or lack thereof) for the last lotto pick. The NFL tweeks the rules on a yearly basis and would not be surprised if something comes out of the alleged tanks.

While I will always cheer on the Texans, I hate the fact that a little part of me has joy in their losing.

Bear said:
The NFL tweeks the rules on a yearly basis and would not be surprised if something comes out of the alleged tanks.
I would be shocked....because the league knows nobody is tanking games (the notion is ridiculous). Tanking games is not why any changes would be made...it would be made because fans pulling against their teams is simply not healthy for the NFL as I stated above.

Vinny said:
...it would be made because fans pulling against their teams is simply not healthy for the NFL as I stated above.

You are correct, Vinny.... Or at least that's a more PC way of putting it ;)

eriadoc said:
Once Capers is gone, I am going to lose this soap and go with Bear's avatar! :drool:

lol

I miss Jen :crying:

At least she would make the games more bearable.

Vinny said:
I would be shocked....because the league knows nobody is tanking games (the notion is ridiculous). Tanking games is not why any changes would be made...it would be made because fans pulling against their teams is simply not healthy for the NFL as I stated above.

I think that's an excellant point. I'm sure Tagliabue and the rest of the NFL stiffs have had it rubbed in their noses that fans of the Texans, along with 49er fans, Green Bay fans, and even Jets fans are actually rooting against their teams just to get a draft pick. I can certainly see them seriously exploring any options available to them that would remove any reason or circumstance that would give a fan any reason for hoping the team that they normally root for . . . to suddenly root against.

Although Iwas expecting a more disguisting reaction from Kris Brown than just yanking his chin strap off after he missed the field goal, I don't feel anyone on this team is trying to lose on purpose. To think otherwise is treason and should be burned at the stake!! LOL

Maybe instead of instituting a draft lottery to curb "fans" rooting for their team to lose, the NFL can just ban the players being fought over from coming into the league.

Then Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart can show up to the draft with signs like these: :banme:

:jk: about this whole thing

I'm not sure why the NFL should alter their rules based around any perceived rooting interest of the fans. If the teams can be shown to actually be tanking games, then the NFL should consider some sort of action, but if I want to root for Terrell Owens to get maimed on a hit across the middle, they shouldn't ban crossing routes. (Bad analogy, but you get the point).

If Kris Brown was throwing the game then why did he run hard enough to get the first down on the fake field goal earlier in the 4th quarter. Wouldn't he have just stepped out of bounds before he got the first down?

Also wouldn't Jerome Mathis have gone down sooner on the kickoff return instead of returning it 50 yards.

TexanDave said:
If Kris Brown was throwing the game then why did he run hard enough to get the first down on the fake field goal earlier in the 4th quarter. Wouldn't he have just stepped out of bounds before he got the first down?

Also wouldn't Jerome Mathis have gone down sooner on the kickoff return instead of returning it 50 yards.

That type of logic will not deter a losers mentality.

TexanDave said:

You mean getting his head spun around like a top was not part of the act?

The only reason that a team would tank games is if the owner has guaranteed the jobs and positions to everyone currently in place. If no heads roll from hiring Reeves, I'm positive we will be the talk of ESPN for months. I find it rather odd that D.Davis is performing his butt off, because I'm sure he's worried about losing his job to Bush.

Reasons why a team wouldn't tank a season for the next draft:
Coaches: Won't live in the hood long enough to pick the rookies.
Players: Possibly lose their jobs to high draft picks or cut.

Reasons why a team wouldn't tank a season for the next draft:

1) the league isn't fixed.
2) the league wouldn't allow teams to fix games
3) no player would devalue his own worth to look bad on game film...that is where his contract value lies.

I agree with Vinny (and others) about there being no way this team is tanking on purpose.

Face it, our team sucks. No ifs, ands, or buts...it's as simple as that.

This story just goes to show you that 85% of talking heads on t.v. and radio are just as clueless as we are at the end of the day. They just need junk to talk about and fill up their shows, and the more controversial, the better (for them and their ratings).

Double Barrel said:
I agree with Vinny (and others) about there being no way this team is tanking on purpose.

Face it, our team sucks. No ifs, ands, or buts...it's as simple as that.

This story just goes to show you that 85% of talking heads on t.v. and radio are just as clueless as we are at the end of the day. They just need junk to talk about and fill up their shows, and the more controversial, the better (for them and their ratings).

Actually, its worse than that, because such comments can and do cause investigations to be initiated when there really is no reason to do so. It smears the team, the players, the fans, the owners, and anyone else having associations with the team. Its a real travisty. It really doesn't deserve to be on the board in one sense, because it simply lends credibility to those who started these baselss statements...........

This team has gotten so bad that the excuse some fans are using now is that we're losing on purpose.

Excuses:
1.We're an expansion team
2.Give us Indianapolis' OLine and see what we can do.
3.We're losing on purpose
:rofl:

I'll never believe the Texans are tanking games unless one of them stepped up and said so. I just don't believe that.

Face it. We have the worst, or 2nd worst team in the NFL. We dont have to try to lose. They come on their own.

We are a couple of plays away from a much better season. Whether it be one play made, or a bad call refs or coaches.

First off, look at who started this rumor..

The New York media started it.

Now then, who did the New York media want the Jets to pick in the draft? Reggie Bush. So why not start this rumor and try and make us win some games?

I put nothing into the nonsence except more media propaganda....

Back