Texans Take Over Texas?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HoustonFrog, Dec 4, 2012.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

As a Cowboy fan I can see this unless things change with Jerry. Not sure if he cares. I still read the hometown paper, the Star-Telegram and this was an article that just came out. He isn't spot on everything but interesting none the less.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/12/03/4457327/texans-win-on-field-cowboys-win.html

2. ziggy29

ziggy29 Hall of Fame

When Texas markets other than Dallas get the Texans game instead of the Cowboys game when they are at the same time on the same network, then we'll be there. Still, it may take many years of winning (and the Cowboys losing) before that could happen.

But as you said, with Jerry all things (mostly negative) are possible. As long as he assumes the Cowboys "own" Texas and that will never change, the more that status is ripe for the taking.

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

You mean once we start playing 80% of our games at night vs. at 12pm like the cowboys?

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Those red and white checkered table cloths looking a bit more glitzier these days huh Jerry?

5. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I'm 47 years old, and for most of my life, the Houston Astros owned the majority of Texas, and the Rangers were mostly afterthoughts, except in the DFW area, and sporadically throughout the State.
    A few years of winning, and now the Rangers are suddenly the baseball darlings of Texas.

I see some parallels between that relationship, and the Cowboys/Texans relationship.

That situation isn't entirely equivalent to the Cowboys/Texans relationship because the boys have had a stronger hold on the state than the Astros did, IMO, and the Texans are a new franchise whereas the Rangers had been around longer before they started their recent run of success.

But I think in today's win-now society, a team like the Texans can make greater and faster in-roads into a fan base than they could have a decade ago.
    Added to that is the fact that the Texans are a pretty likable team overall with a good mix of personalities that people can relate to.
    Also, IMO, the Texans are an organization that has class and integrity in very much the way the boys did back in the day when many people became cowboys fans.

Essentially, I think the Texans today represent what the cowboys did in the past, and I think that is attractive to a lot people, many of whom are becoming more and more disillusioned with jerrah and the boys.

6. GP

GP Go Texans!

Will never happen.

That team is infinitely ensconced in Texas due to the nostalgia of their glory hole years. The SB titles. The whole thing.

It's passed down from fathers to sons.

It would be a near miracle if the Texans chiseled away the aura of the Cowboys. SB titles is the only way to do that.

7. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

Looks to me like that writer is poking at Jerry trying to get him to change. Decided to hit him where it hurts, in the pride.

People are not happy with the 'girls up in Dallas these days and are laying the blame squarely on Jerry.

8. ziggy29

ziggy29 Hall of Fame

Frankly Texas is big enough that neither team needs to "own" it. But the league and TV folks who make the schedules need to avoid the situation we had two weeks ago, when the Texans and Cowboys were both playing at the same time and on the same network.

9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

90% of me agrees with this. The other 10%, as I stated in the original post, believes Jerry can screw it up. I have family friends that I grew up with in Ft. Worth that are my age..42..or older and who have followed the Cowboys since the 70s like me. We have been in the midst of 20 straight winning seasons, the 90s teams and even some of the 80s teams that lost in NFC championship games. Some of these people are over Jerry and while the Texans aren't their #1 team, they are now cheering for the Texans to win.

Overall, if you read the whole article..the writer admits that is is nearly impossible but the most important part..winning on the field..has changed and thus gives the possibility legs.

They all poke fun at him. I love Randy Galloway because he rips him weekly. That is our only hope...embarrassment that forces change. This is as angry as I've seen people are Jerry. There was actually an interview the other day with reporters all around where the reporter pretty much just told Jerry straight out that they have 1 playoff win in 15 years so why not fire the GM.

10. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

It's all about national airtime.

As long as the NFL/Netwoks broadcast the lesser Cowboys nationally over the greater Texans, Cowgirls will have the bigger following.

And before you start, the ratings excuse is a chicken/egg excuse. Broadcast the Texans ...... and they will come around.

11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Here is the interview I was speaking of..I'd love to buy this reporter a drink

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...ones-weighs-in-on-Cowboys-GM-responsibilities

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Just win, baby. The rest will take care of itself.

Championships are the key. If the Texans can win at least one Super Bowl, hearts and minds will start being connected to the team beyond the hardcore or local fanbase.

Keep winning and the Texans capture a generation, my kids, who will grow up feeling good about their team and then hand that off to their kids in time.

But the key, the only key, is winning...a lot.

13. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

It would take a couple Super Bowls to even dream of stealing stealing Jerry's thunder.

14. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

I live in Vegas, and my company has a lot of transplants from Dallas and our industry was big in the 90's but shrank there and grew in Vegas.

Anyway, they were all die hard Cowboy Fans, but a couple of them talk about becoming Texans Fans.

Ussually I would bash someone for something like this, but its not really that they are Fair Weather Fans, they are just pissed at Jerry and his meddling.

15. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I think the Texans could chisel away some of the Cowboys stronghold on the state, but you're right, the Cowboys will always be much more popular. They have a long history of success.

I didn't live in Houston during the Oilers years, but how popular were the Oilers in Texas compared to the Cowboys? I lived in El Paso, so it was mostly Cowboy country with a good amount of Raiders fans also.

16. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Agreed.

But, look at what years of poor ownership has done to the once proud Raiders franchise...

17. ziggy29

ziggy29 Hall of Fame

Hmmm..... Jerry Jones, Al Davis...

Makes you wonder what becomes of a franchise when the face of the franchise is its owner...

18. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

As someone who's been in the DFW area since last season, I can tell you that it's true. The Houston Texans are slowly winning over Texas. Last season, I could NEVER watch a Texans game here. This year, I'd be unlucky if they were broadcasting another game.

I think they've broadcasted every Texans game here except for a couple this season. Last season, they only broadcasted a couple of games. Never before have I seen so many Texans paraphernalia in the DFW area.

19. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

I have said it several times on here, but when the casual football fan outside of the city of a team knows the name of the owner, that is a bad indicator for the team.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Nope - it is this.

It doesn't matter if it is ancient history - eight SB appearances and five championships wins out.* You have to have a trophy case to compete. We have one banner.

* should be six but for one of the worst officiating mistakes ever.