Texans success depends on Johnson

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANS84, Jun 27, 2008.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Good writeup, good read:

Full article link

Brando likes this.
  2. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

lol:

All in all, a pretty good article.

My one beef is that the writer doesn't give any props whatever to Andre Davis as part of our receiving corps. In his fantasy analysis he mentions Jacoby Jones stepping up to be #3 but nothing about Andre Davis who was in the YPC top five last year.

I guess he doesn't believe Chris Taylor will make the squad because there's no real mention of him either.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Does anyone remember who was in coverage, on that long pass that set the Titans up for that game winning field goal??

I'll give you a hint, he was on the offenses left side of the field.

4. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Is this a trick question?
    Dunta was step-for-step with the WR and Collins made a perfect throw.
    After the play, I was thinking, "wonder how many Titans' fans would admit that Young could never have made that throw?"

Overalls and b0ng like this.
  5. D-Frank

D-Frank Veteran

FAIL

could not have played the ball better, perfect throw, since ALL corners
    get beat in da league, I'drather dunta, or someone thats good to get beat
    like that than to have been just faked out on a good route, or just ran by.

6. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

TK didn't say anything bad about Dunta. He just pointed out that our best DB was the one covering the WR who made the play. If anything it makes me wonder why the hell they threw to his side of the field.

And yes, that was a great pass that VY would not have been able to make.

7. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Yep. There was nothing Dunta could do besides try to keep his eyes on the ball while jumping up and swatting it away without getting a PI penalty.

Really, that was just Kerry Collins showing that he can throw the ball on occassion, just not all the time.

8. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

In response to the title:

Duh? :)

9. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

That was an illustration of why Richard Smith's play calling is a little questionable. Dunta Robinson was right on the receiver, but the ball was perfect.

Collins saw that coverage and took advantage. He said so at the time.

As for the write up, I will point out that Green's yards weren't healthy yards as he says he got his knee bone bruise the first game. I don't know if Green will ever be "healthy" but you can certainly tell watching him play last year that he has great vision and find a hole. He just didn't have his giddyup. I'm not sure how much giddyup he has left.

10. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

you're too kind.
    he's the same Richard Smith that called a blitz on a rookie running QB on 3rd and 18 instead of forcing said rookie to make a read and throw the ball....

Smith has been given some good chess pieces, I hope he realizes he isn't playing checkers

11. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

First Smith gets dogged because he isnt agressive enough now hes getting dogged because he was over agressive.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

It's a legitimate complaint. Just because he picks the entirely wrong spots to be "aggressive" and "not-so-aggressive" doesn't mean that he's right half the time.

This is Smith's hotseat year, and if this defense flounders with studs in so many positions, then a lot of people are probably going to be looking at him to place the blame.

13. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Dunta was all over the receiver, elevated for the ball, it was a very tough catch and great placement of the ball by the QB. Besides a safety arriving at the WR the same time as the ball and laying the wood would have been the only thing that stopped that particular play, and Von Hutchins got there a tad late.

14. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

While I believe Johnson will be a big part of our success. However IMO our overall success depends more on 3 things.

1.) Our running game developing into a strength.
    2.) Our defense being able to stop the run.
    3.) Someone stepping up and becoming a competent CB opposite Bennet.

15. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Man some of you guys kill me on the third one. This staff didn't give Reeves the contract they did because they thought maybe, just maybe, he could be a competent CB opposite a second year CB. I'm pretty sure they gave him the contract because they felt he could do all the things they want and expect a CB to do in this defense including helping in run support. If he wasn't a former Cowboy I'm sure the reviews would be a tad warmer.

I think honestly your #3 should've been our safeties playing decent football.Do I think we have great corners? I think we have solid starters and depending on Molden's development and If Dunta can make it back then we're in great position.

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

CB is still an unanswered question at this point. We don't know how Reeves is going to perform, much less Molden. So, IMO it's fair to say the CB position is weak until proven otherwise.

IMO, other than turning the ball over, our defense stood out as the sore spot of the team. Not stopping the run when needed and having to play soft zone coverages due to lack of talent at the CB position.

17. Dancerdog

Dancerdog Rookie

I can't say one way or another about Jacques Reeves, because I don't follow the Cowboys. I do know we tossed a sizeable chunk of change his way, so he must possess some skill sets we need. I hear he is better suited to man coverage vs. Zone. I hope he proves adequate.

As far as our safeties are concerned, I think Will Demps is a lock at one position. I think the other is up for grabs. I'm excited to see what attitude Ray Rhodes instills in his players. Demps can lay the wood when he wants to. We need more of that from our DB's. Dunta is another one who can hit. I want opposing WR's to cower in fear when trying to make a catch over the middle. Anyone remember Jack "The Assassin" Tatum? I'm talking hitting like we mean it!

18. NBT

NBT Veteran

I think the shot at Richard Smith is a legitamite one until he shows he can draw up a good defensive game plan that is both aggressive and covers the field adequately.

19. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

20. JWarren14

JWarren14 Beer Me

Thanks for the link, nice read