Texans still undecided on second-string QB

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MojoMan, Sep 5, 2009.

?

Who should be the Texan's backup QB?

Poll closed Sep 15, 2009.
  1. Dan Orlovsky

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. Rex Grossman

58 vote(s)
    76.3%
  1. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Rex looked good last night, but I say Orlovsky should be #2. He is the future for the Texans at backup QB.

2. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Grossman. For now. Orlovsky is a better quarterback. He just needs time.

3. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

I agree "O" is Rosenfels 2.0 right now. He needs to work on his reads more. He has a good arm and can manage the game he just makes bad decisions at the worst possible time right now. Grossman looked like a man among boys last night.

4. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Grossman, without hesitation. I think we can still win with him at QB when Schaub goes down.

5. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

What do you mean by when? He already has. LOL on a non contact play no less. Hopefully he is a go week one and we don't need to find out if we can win with Grossman or Orvlosky.

6. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I voted Rex. If someone had told me I would rather have him at backup over Dan when preseason started there is no way I would have believed it. After the KC game I thought there was no chance he was going to stick as the third guy. I am not totally down on Dan but he does not look ready.

7. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

Honestly, I'd like to see us bring in Jeff Garcia since he was cut. At least you know you get a QB who has been reliable and has tons of experience in the WC offense. I wouldn't be worried if Matt went down (but then again, I was saying that last year about another QB on our roster).

8. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I saw him play some last season and was totally unimpressed. Carr told him he was using the dump off too often. Plus he is old and would probably want to start. He isn't even on the radar.

9. jppaul

jppaul Cut and Dry

I think that Grossman keeps the #2 seat warm for Orlosvky until next year, and then it is his gig. Like someone said he just needs some time, but Grossman is the better backup right now.

10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I play the guy who has actually won an NFL game as opposed to the guy who hasn't yet.

I know it's not that simple but seriously, Orlovsky looks like he needs a lot of work and that's fine if Kubiak really thinks he's found a diamond in a goat's ass plucking this guy out of Detroit. He can coach up a QB very nicely I think we all agree. I just don't think Orlovsky is done yet. He makes too many mistakes and looks like a talented guy who has had crap for coaching so far. Until he's playing like Gary thinks he's capable of playing I don't let Grossman out of my sight.

11. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

I hope Dan O is not the future Texans backup, unless he changes his play drastically.

Rex until Dan shows me something to get excited about.

12. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

rex grossman, have been saying it since they signed him

but it's funny that most of yall is liking him over dano, when most of you wanted dan to be the backup at the start.

go sexy rexy.

13. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I like what I saw from Rex on Friday. He even made JJ look good. But that's not even a whole game's worth of info.

I'm thinking if we're winning big (I know, that's a big IF) in the 4th qtr, get Schaub out before something else weird happens to him and let Dan or Rex finish up.

Something tells me that Kubiak will give Rex the "mop-up" snaps if we're killing the Jets by say 17 or better with 5 minutes to go in the 4th qtr. Dan is still too turnover prone. At least Rex knows when to throw the damned ball out of bounds.

14. Revolution

Revolution All Pro

For now, Grossman. Orlovsky is a Rosencopter waiting to happen. Of course, at his signing, I said that about Grossman...

I think Orlovsky has all the talent needed to be a successful QB in this league, but he needs more coaching and improved decision-making.

Hopefully, Matt starts all 16 games for the first time...I know....when a turtle plays a banjo, right?

:turtle:

There! I found a use for the smilie!! :)

15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I agree with with the thoughts that Grossman should, for now, be the backup QB. I trust him more than DanO. But I still believe DanO is the future of the Texans. A couple years down the line when DanO gets all coached up by Kubiac and staff he'll replace Schaub as the starter.

16. Livid13

Livid13 Veteran

AHHHHHH! How many threads are there going to be about Grossman? He SUCKS!

17. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

Grossman, Orlovsky is not our future.

18. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

Reason being that with Grossman's experience, and the fact that he has had crap at WR and no running game in Chicago he would be able to work with what we have if needed. When in Chicago, other teams didn't have to worry about anything but going after him, and he had limited options to work with when they did. Is he the second coming, absolutely not and don't want it to appear that I think that either...but compared to O, I think Rex is the much better option.

19. gary

gary Hall of Fame

He not on the radar nor a Raider now.

20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

That's because he was amongst boys. Meaning, 2nd, 3rd and roster cutee's. Dan O went against their 1's and 2's.

To me, it doesn't matter who ends up #2 because they're both a liability at this time

Partially agree. He might have a leg up on Dan at the moment, but I hope niether one has to step in early.