Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Signing Bradie James

Rey

I have to admit, when I saw the news...I was thinking "Another guy for Wade."

I admit it.
Yeah, he's not showing up for practice and has asked to be traded...

It would make some sense from a football standpoint...I just don't know if it makes sense financially...I have no idea what Jenkins contract is like...

grinch1134

Waterboy
I don't have a problem with what Rick said. In fact, I would be instead pissed if he said Demeco could not be replaced. Again, much better than leaving everyone with the feeling that we settled for James.

BTW. "We saw video of a Texans public relations staffer promptly ending the interview while yanking Herring away after he made that statement. (UPDATE: The Texans contacted ATL and said Herring was late for a meeting.)"

burro

probably drunk
What is Herring supposed to say? "Ehhh...he's okay. No Demeco Ryans, though..."

I'm glad he has confidence that the swap will be an overall positive for the Texans.

srrono

All Pro
How much is Jenkins making?

If we could get him at a bargain I'd be all over that.
7/26/2008: Signed a five-year, $9.725 million contract. The deal contains $6.75 million guaranteed, including a $3.1 million signing bonus. 2012: $1.052 million, 2013: Free Agent

this is according to Rotoworld

GP

Go Texans!
What is Herring supposed to say? "Ehhh...he's okay. No Demeco Ryans, though..."

I'm glad he has confidence that the swap will be an overall positive for the Texans.
From a P.R. standpoint, there is about a billion other things he could have said.

All he had to do was just make it about Bradie James. The instant you mention the former player, it goes south in a hurry...even when using very nice phrases about the former player.

I think the plan is for him to be DeMeco version 2.0, but coming out and saying he'll be better...when camp hasn't even started, let alone a real game, it's pretty brash to say that (considering DeMeco's value here). Feathers get ruffled, and as far as I know...DeMeco has not ruffled any feathers--So he deserves to have that repaid to him by Texans coaches.

Now if they want to say stuff about Mario? Fine by me. Fair game.

pec0sb0b

on the lam
Yeah, he's not showing up for practice and has asked to be traded...

It would make some sense from a football standpoint...I just don't know if it makes sense financially...I have no idea what Jenkins contract is like...
I read the Cowboys' plan may be to use him a #4 CB this year and let him walk when his contract expires next season, but they might decide to move him for a 4th or 5th when it's time to make cuts.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
From a P.R. standpoint, there is about a billion other things he could have said.

All he had to do was just make it about Bradie James. The instant you mention the former player, it goes south in a hurry...even when using very nice phrases about the former player.

I think the plan is for him to be DeMeco version 2.0, but coming out and saying he'll be better...when camp hasn't even started, let alone a real game, it's pretty brash to say that (considering DeMeco's value here). Feathers get ruffled, and as far as I know...DeMeco has not ruffled any feathers--So he deserves to have that repaid to him by Texans coaches.

Now if they want to say stuff about Mario? Fine by me. Fair game.
there was an article a while back where demeco said a few negative things about the texans/houston.

Dont bother me, the talking heads will talk, the pussys will squalk, and then theres idiots like marshall faulk.

Last edited:

PapaL

Loose Screw
It's the offseason. No real story there. DeMeco was great when healthy but he's not a part of this team anymore. I'll gladly root for him because of his history but MEH. If he really wanted to be here he would've restructured and make it known he wanted to be here.

My 2¢

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure why to many people were unhappy with this move. I think James was a very good signing. I was one of the ones that didn't like losing Demeco for what we got for him, but I do like who we have replaced him with. He knows our system well and is comfortable in a leadership role. James can be a hot head, but he is all about winning so I like what he brings to this team.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The comment just doesn't sound friendly and apparently the public relations person didn't think so either. Read the entire article. Herring loves him some Bradie James and doesn't sound like he misses Demeco at all.
Instead, Coach Herring goes off half-cocked and misspoke about Ryans vs. James. I mean, it was a bad gaffe. Bad. Not something that is devastating of course, but it's bad.

Sheesh.
Did you guys watch the video? Herring was in no way derogatory towards Ryans. Of course James knows the system better than anyone on the Texans. He started in the system for 4 seasons. Sheesh.

Picking up James for the vet minimum will prove to be the best move this offseason.

drs23

Veteran
Did you guys watch the video? Herring was in no way derogatory towards Ryans. Of course James knows the system better than anyone on the Texans. He started in the system for 4 seasons. Sheesh.

Picking up James for the vet minimum will prove to be the best move this offseason.
Thank you.

MSR

GP

Go Texans!

"I don't mind throwing it on the table, we're pretty pleased with picking Bradie (James) up, because we feel like we gained back what we lost with DeMeco leaving, and then some to be honest with you," Texans linebackers Reggie Herring coach said Tuesday.
When Herring says they (a) gained back what they lost in DeMeco, and (b) then some...how. in. the. hell is that not a slap to DeMeco??? LOL.

You had me going there for a second. I almost fell for it. But luckily, Lucky, I was able to re-read the QUOTE and, sure enough, it turns out that Coach Herring made a bit of a gaffe.

Then Herring is whisked away by someone who understands P.R. better than Reggie Herring does.

GP

Go Texans!
I have to wonder if people think my criticism of Herring is an indirect shot at the Texans for having traded Ryans away to the Eagles.

Look, this cat is PLEASED as punch that we traded DeMeco for an extra 4th and a move up in the 3rd. I am more than fine with a Wade Phillips guy (Bradie James) standing in that gap for us.

But still, there's a bit of honor that needs to be maintained here. If Herring wasn't dissing DeMeco then I guess I need to re-think what the term "dissing" means. He basically said "We ain't gonna' miss DeMeco one bit" and ya' know, it's just better to think those things and not say them out loud. /rant

im gonna give herring a big :clap:

ryans isnt on the team anymore.
he was a fantastic player and great person for the team and organisation but his in philly now.

i will always expect our staff, coaches and FO to stick up for the players we have now.
It wasn't a slap in the face to ryans IMO but thats me.

Sounds like James has been preparing well of the off-season and has started with a bang in OTAs so I'm all for herring boosting him up and giving confidence to the group.

The defence and team as a hole must and will step up without ryans!!!

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
You had me going there for a second. I almost fell for it. But luckily, Lucky, I was able to re-read the QUOTE and, sure enough, it turns out that Coach Herring made a bit of a gaffe.

Then Herring is whisked away by someone who understands P.R. better than Reggie Herring does.
No one who watched the video would come away with that impression. Especially, the notion that the Texan flunky would "whisk away" Herring due to his comments.

You see people often use the term "taken out of context" to explain away a comment. This is a perfect example of taking a quote out of context. Herring was giving props to his new player. Not slamming his former player, or justifying the trade. Heering compared James' ability to Ryans'. If he's slamming Ryans' ability, then he's doing the same to James. Then, he points out that James has more experience in the defense than any other Texan LB. Which is a fact. The comments were directed to James' ability, and had zip to do with Ryans' inability.

Rey

Um, yeah. I watched the video.

And I stand by my comment you quoted.

Doesn't sound like herring misses Demeco at all and he loves bradie James.

I tend to take peoples words at face value when they seem to be discussing things candidly.

If I get a new gf and I say that I regained everything I lost and then some I'm saying my new gf is better than my old one.

I didn't say he was going out his way to slam Demeco. What I said was that he loves James and doesn't seem to miss Demeco at all. Do you disagree with that?

drunkcookie

2 drunk 2 cook
We always want our coaches to be honest and shoot straight with us, but when one actually does a bunch of booties get hurt...

I guess Herring should have gone with the Kubiak approach.. "Well any time you lose a player the caliber of DeMeco, a leader and a great player in this league, you're gunna have a hard time replacing that, so someone's gunna have to come up big for us back there..."

And where is the "shot" at 'Meco? Hell, i don't even think he was complimenting James, i just think he believes what he said...

I love 'Meco as much as the next Texans fan, but if the LBs coach feels they upgraded at the position, what the hell is the problem with him saying so?

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
All I know is that any time Wade and his coaches have ever said a player is good he's been nothing short of bad ass so I'm down with Herring. You have to forgive us, we were subjected to a certain level of play for about 10 years.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Some you win then some you lose. I'd like to think in this case then some means we improve, kinda scary to think about actually, in a good way!

(flash-back to the movie Romeo Must Die, famous words uttered by Maurice) :lol:

GP

Go Texans!
Herring compared James' ability to Ryans'.
Yes, he compared them. Which was a tricky step to take.

Furthermore, he went beyond and added some words that cannot be brushed away as mere semantics. "We got back what we lost...and then some" is flattering to James and takes a bit of a stab at Ryans.

Look, I said it was not a devastating gaffe. But it was still a gaffe.

For a guy like Ryans to be traded, then to have his old coach say we got Ryans back but wait a second...no, we actually got MORE back...well, that's a gaffe.

No skin off my back. I was one of only two or three people (the night we learned Ryans was traded) who was glad the trade went down. My only quibble with what Herring said is that Ryans has been pretty nice with his comments about the Texans. That's all.

Premier

Rookie
Yes, he compared them. Which was a tricky step to take.

Furthermore, he went beyond and added some words that cannot be brushed away as mere semantics. "We got back what we lost...and then some" is flattering to James and takes a bit of a stab at Ryans.

Look, I said it was not a devastating gaffe. But it was still a gaffe.

For a guy like Ryans to be traded, then to have his old coach say we got Ryans back but wait a second...no, we actually got MORE back...well, that's a gaffe.

No skin off my back. I was one of only two or three people (the night we learned Ryans was traded) who was glad the trade went down. My only quibble with what Herring said is that Ryans has been pretty nice with his comments about the Texans. That's all.
youre putting too much into it.. the "and then some" was shortly followed by the comments that james knew the system better than ryans, knew the calls better than cushing did too, having played in the system for a few years.. is this statement untrue?

Reactions: GP

GP

Go Texans!
youre putting too much into it.. the "and then some" was shortly followed by the comments that james knew the system better than ryans, knew the calls better than cushing did too, having played in the system for a few years.. is this statement untrue?
Doesn't matter if it's true or not. Perception is what matters.

My wife asks me "Do I look fat?" and so I pause for a second...then say "No." She didn't hear me say "No," she heard the awkward pause before I gave my answer. Conversations or attempts to communicate a message are inherently laced with problems right out of the gate, and Herring sort of flubbed this one.

Herring should have made it all about Bradie James, there was no need to even say the words DeMeco Ryans when trying to elaborate upon the impact Bradie James can potentially make with the Texans. He went there, though, and like it's been said...a P.R. guy whisked him away for an, ahem, "meeting" he was late for. LOL.

True vs. Not True is not the issue. The words he used, the stark comparison of the two guys, it was awkward. Everybody loves them some 'Meco, and it's just a bit of a gaffe to utter those words and then try to understand it in context.

At the end of the day, Herring is saying that we got 'Meco back AND THEN SOME and yet we didn't, IMO, because truthfully and factually Bradie James hasn't played a single down of Texans football yet to justify those comparisons. It's almost like Herring is jinxing it to me. Oh well.

V3rm0nt3r

Rookie
James can thrive in this defense. He's proven this with his history in Phillips' D.

Ryans is a premier 4-3 Mike LB who was forced into an unfamiliar and unnatural position last year. While he may have been serviceable in that position, it was obvious he wouldn't be able to play up to his full potential in that spot.

In defamation cases, the law requires prosecutors to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the statement made was false to prove guilt. Because it's very obvious what information Herring used to form his opinion and statement, I have no problem with his comments.

Rey

At the end of the day, Herring is saying that we got 'Meco back AND THEN SOME and yet we didn't, IMO, because truthfully and factually Bradie James hasn't played a single down of Texans football yet to justify those comparisons. It's almost like Herring is jinxing it to me. Oh well.
Depends on what he's talking about...

Leadership + Knowledge of the defense would be Demeco + some...

I don't know if anyone can actually accurately predict production until they start playing for real.

GP

Go Texans!
James can thrive in this defense. He's proven this with his history in Phillips' D.

Ryans is a premier 4-3 Mike LB who was forced into an unfamiliar and unnatural position last year. While he may have been serviceable in that position, it was obvious he wouldn't be able to play up to his full potential in that spot.

In defamation cases, the law requires prosecutors to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the statement made was false to prove guilt. Because it's very obvious what information Herring used to form his opinion and statement, I have no problem with his comments.
Except we don't operate our lives, our relationships, within the context of law.

I think law-heavy or law-minded people don't understand that. Life is full of subjective pitfalls. What he said wasn't wrong, HOW he said it...was (in a small way).

I just know that it's not often a kicked-to-the-curb Texans player minds his manners when he speaks about his old team, the Texans. Outside of a minor comparison of Philly and Houston, 'Meco has been above reproach in his comments about us and his new home.

People didn't care for the way he compared Philly and Houston, we should therefore care how he was compared to Bradie James...by one of 'Meco's former coaches here, btw. It sort of stings if I'm 'Meco and I read that stuff by Herring. Just sayin'....

GP

Go Texans!
Depends on what he's talking about...

Leadership + Knowledge of the defense would be Demeco + some...

I don't know if anyone can actually accurately predict production until they start playing for real.
That's where my "Sounds like he's jinxing it to me" comes in.

Let's not crown Bradie James until he actually produces. If he stinks up the joint, then the quotes by Herring will be media fodder for a long time.

Premier

Rookie
can bradie james take atleast 58% of the snaps and make atleast 46 tackles.. because thats who he is replacing.. thats what demeco contributed to this defense last year statistically..

james doesnt need to be a leader, if youre comparing james to a pre-achilles tear demeco than no way is he better, if youre comparing him to 2011 demeco, than yes he has the opportunity to be demeco and then some..

thats why i dont have a problem with his comments.. i dont really believe in jinxes and what not, james is either gonna do it or not, if he gets injured or cant perform it wont be because of herrings comments..

GP

Go Texans!
can bradie james take atleast 58% of the snaps and make atleast 46 tackles.. because thats who he is replacing.. thats what demeco contributed to this defense last year statistically..

james doesnt need to be a leader, if youre comparing james to a pre-achilles tear demeco than no way is he better, if youre comparing him to 2011 demeco, than yes he has the opportunity to be demeco and then some..

thats why i dont have a problem with his comments.. i dont really believe in jinxes and what not, james is either gonna do it or not, if he gets injured or cant perform it wont be because of herrings comments..
Bradie James has been knocked for his lack of quickness. Cowboys fans far and near hold the opinion that the guy is somewhat slow and gets lost in traffic. A team's fans are generally a good barometer of what their players do well and what they struggle with. Whether james got lost in the Cowboys' new scheme, or whether he has lost a bit of a step over the years, remains to be seen.

Example: Raiders fans heckled us when we acquired Philip Buchanon in a trade several years ago. They knew all to well what we were getting. But when the Eagles got Ryans, they lurked here and saw 95% of Texans fans a bit perturbed that Ryans was leaving. Fans know if they lost or gained something.

Premature statements just bother me when the statement is made at an ex-player's expense. Especially when said ex-player was a good "team guy" here.

I absolutely agree that Ryans was out of place here in the 34. He was still a solid LB, though, and every snap he took he was in the middle of the play wherever it was at.

If Herring believes we'll be able to replace Ryans production and THEN SOME...

Then my only reaction is :fans:

The more talented linebackers, the better, especially when that said linebacker has a head start on all the nuances of our defensive system.

Good luck to Ryans, I loved him when he was here, but when I heard Herring say this, I was simply ecstatic.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
We always want our coaches to be honest and shoot straight with us, but when one actually does a bunch of booties get hurt...

I guess Herring should have gone with the Kubiak approach.. "Well any time you lose a player the caliber of DeMeco, a leader and a great player in this league, you're gunna have a hard time replacing that, so someone's gunna have to come up big for us back there..."

And where is the "shot" at 'Meco? Hell, i don't even think he was complimenting James, i just think he believes what he said...

I love 'Meco as much as the next Texans fan, but if the LBs coach feels they upgraded at the position, what the hell is the problem with him saying so?
MSR...
First, there was no "shot" at DeMeco. As someone said, Herring complemented DeMeco and by association complimented James.

Second, the article said the PR "person" was sent to snag Herring because he was late to a meeting. End of story.

PR people = spin doctors = professional liars
I often wonder why that job even exists?

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
It's the offseason. No real story there. DeMeco was great when healthy but he's not a part of this team anymore. I'll gladly root for him because of his history but MEH. If he really wanted to be here he would've restructured and make it known he wanted to be here.

My 2¢
Meco DID make it known that he would restucture AGAIN, which would make it pretty obvious he wanted to stay here. He wasn't given the opportunity!! RS threw him under the bus to help out his friend in Philly, and because Wade wanted B. James! I've read all I can find about OTAs and James "leadership" role! FINE, GREAT, he's a leader in the 3-4 and Wade got his man. BUT, his success on the field as a Texan is yet to be proven. Yes, Demeco is history as a Texan, but, NO ONE, esp a coach, should deminish the role he played here. JMO!

I will say this though! I respect James for not taking #59 out of respect for Demeco. That alone says a lot about the man! JMO

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Irrespective of Ryans contract, he's 4-3 middle linebacker and not a 3-4 inside linebacker.

In only 6 games (2010) he had 54 tackles in the 4-3. In 2011 (and yes coming off the 2010 injury) but playing in all 16 games, he had only 64 tackles in the 3-4.

drs23

Veteran
Meco DID make it known that he would restucture AGAIN, which would make it pretty obvious he wanted to stay here. He wasn't given the opportunity!! RS threw him under the bus to help out his friend in Philly, and because Wade wanted B. James! I've read all I can find about OTAs and James "leadership" role! FINE, GREAT, he's a leader in the 3-4 and Wade got his man. BUT, his success on the field as a Texan is yet to be proven. Yes, Demeco is history as a Texan, but, NO ONE, esp a coach, should deminish the role he played here. JMO!

I will say this though! I respect James for not taking #59 out of respect for Demeco. That alone says a lot about the man! JMO
Sandy, I appreciate Meco's pure class and professionalism as much as you do. He was a team player and leader in the truest sense but football facts are football facts. He just didn't fit the system no matter how you try to justify his need to be here. Even if he'd restructured, it would have still been a lose/lose for the TEAM. Meco is now in a system where we'll see him play like the MIKE he was born to be. A win/win for all concerned. He wasn't chicken****ted no matter how you spin it. If anything it was the best move the Texans could have made for him.

I feel like many others here that fall in love with the team, not the player. I want to see them excel as a unit.

Now on the other hand, if they let my Main Man JJ Watt slip away, I'll be the biggest turn coat hypocrite this MB has ever witnessed! :foottap:

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
RS threw him under the bus to help out his friend in Philly, and because Wade wanted B. James!
Smith did Demeco a favor. Just like Bradie James didn't fit in with the new Dallas defensive system, Demeco didn't fit in with ours. Demeco did a good job and like the class person he is, he didn't whine or complain about it. He gave us some gutsy play and some stops when we needed them but he was out of position on the football field.

He got sent to a higher profile team. He got sent to a place where he'll better be able to succeed.

And I wish him all the best. I love Demeco. I just can't see how this trade was any sort of insult to him or to his service.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Smith did Demeco a favor. Just like Bradie James didn't fit in with the new Dallas defensive system, Demeco didn't fit in with ours. Demeco did a good job and like the class person he is, he didn't whine or complain about it. He gave us some gutsy play and some stops when we needed them but he was out of position on the football field.

He got sent to a higher profile team. He got sent to a place where he'll better be able to succeed.

And I wish him all the best. I love Demeco. I just can't see how this trade was any sort of insult to him or to his service.
Agree 100%

Rey

I disagree that Demeco didn't fit our defense. Demeco was a part of the reason this defense was successful last season. He made some good plays for us especially towards the end of the season down road.

The reason he's not here anymore is because he couldn't find more snaps to justify his salary. Sure he might be more successful in a 4-3, but honestly I think he's going to find himself in a similar situation that he was in here. He's never been that great in pass coverage and over the years he's gotten a little worse at it.

I think he can do it in certain spots, but I think if you have him in there in definite passing situations he can be a liability and I don't care what defense you play in. 3-4, 4-3,44, 5-2...whatever...

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I disagree that Demeco didn't fit our defense. Demeco was a part of the reason this defense was successful last season. He made some good plays for us especially towards the end of the season down road.

The reason he's not here anymore is because he couldn't find more snaps to justify his salary. Sure he might be more successful in a 4-3, but honestly I think he's going to find himself in a similar situation that he was in here. He's never been that great in pass coverage and over the years he's gotten a little worse at it.

I think he can do it in certain spots, but I think if you have him in there in definite passing situations he can be a liability and I don't care what defense you play in. 3-4, 4-3,44, 5-2...whatever...
You've basically just said what I was saying but you disagree about the word "fit."

The fact that he can't find those snaps to justify his salary means, to me, that he doesn't fit our defense. If he was a better fit for the defense, he would have been on the field more. It's OK for a role player to do the things he was doing but not for someone of Demeco's "stature."

In other defenses, he might be able to be on the field more and justify his salary. The Eagles obviously think he fits with their defense although, honestly, I worry about him going to the Eagles because I don't think they're very clear on exactly what their defense is supposed to be doing. The old Eagle defense didn't really ask a lot from their Mikes in coverage. Hell, Jeremiah Trotter did a great job in their old defense as a 300# MLB. Demeco could be great in that downhill thumper sort of role.

Rey

You've basically just said what I was saying but you disagree about the word "fit."

The fact that he can't find those snaps to justify his salary means, to me, that he doesn't fit our defense. If he was a better fit for the defense, he would have been on the field more. It's OK for a role player to do the things he was doing but not for someone of Demeco's "stature."
Maybe I don't know how you're using "fit" here...

When I think "fit" in this instance I'm thinking that a certain players skills set doesn't translate to a certain scheme.

I thought Demeco played pretty well for us all things considered. I thought he was a formidable 2nd ILB and when Cushing got hurt I thought he was one hell of a replacement for him.

The reason he couldn't get more snaps here is because of Cushing. Cushing is a better all around LB. If Demeco goes to Philly and they have draft or find a stud MLB somewhere and Demeco's PT is dwindled that doesn't mean he's not a good fit, IMO. What it means is just that he's not better than the guy playing the same position ahead of him.

I thought he fit well when we were in our base 3-4.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Maybe I don't know how you're using "fit" here...

When I think "fit" in this instance I'm thinking that a certain players skills set doesn't translate to a certain scheme.

I thought Demeco played pretty well for us all things considered. I thought he was a formidable 2nd ILB and when Cushing got hurt I thought he was one hell of a replacement for him.

The reason he couldn't get more snaps here is because of Cushing. Cushing is a better all around LB. If Demeco goes to Philly and they have draft or find a stud MLB somewhere and Demeco's PT is dwindled that doesn't mean he's not a good fit, IMO. What it means is just that he's not better than the guy playing the same position ahead of him.

I thought he fit well when we were in our base 3-4.
I didn't think Demeco was formidable as an ILB in this defense. He made some plays, yes, but I didn't see him as formidable. I didn't see him as a good replacement for Cush when Cush went out.

We either needed more of a role player in that 2nd ILB spot or we needed a guy with a skill set so he could stay on the field more during passing situations. Demeco wasn't really either of those. That's why think he wasn't a good fit. And, like you said, his contract made him "over-qualified" for the position he was in.

In the past, the Eagles ran a defense more suited to the player that Demeco is now. I don't know if the current defense is as suited to him. But they drafted a MLB last year and Matthews took a lot of the blame for their defensive woes.

Rey

I didn't think Demeco was formidable as an ILB in this defense. He made some plays, yes, but I didn't see him as formidable. I didn't see him as a good replacement for Cush when Cush went out.

We can agree to disagree on that one. That's fine. He was no Navarro Bowman, but he was a good player IMO.

We either needed more of a role player in that 2nd ILB spot or we needed a guy with a skill set so he could stay on the field more during passing situations. Demeco wasn't really either of those. That's why think he wasn't a good fit. And, like you said, his contract made him "over-qualified" for the position he was in.
I disagree with this part too. If I had another, cheaper version of late season Demeco Ryans I'd be thrilled with that. Late season Demeco was not a guy you'd want in passing situations nor was he a guy that was more of a role player. I'd take late season Demeco at a cheaper price all day everyday.

I just don't believe that his fit in the defense had as much to do with the fact that his usage wasn't worth the contract.

And I'm actually a fan of the safety coming in as the second LB in nickel situations. Most safeties are going to be able to cover and run better than a MLB anyways. T

In the past, the Eagles ran a defense more suited to the player that Demeco is now. I don't know if the current defense is as suited to him. But they drafted a MLB last year and Matthews took a lot of the blame for their defensive woes.
I think the Eagles feel like Demeco is worth the money he's being paid because they see him as the best MLB and possibly the best LB on their team. They have said that they see him as a 3 down LB.

I disagree with that. I think Demeco is miscast as that at this point. It's not so much the base Scheme as much as trying to have him be a 3-down player. That's what I'm trying to say.

I don't care what team he goes to. I would rather have him play the role that he played with the Texans last year. The Eagles think they can squeeze more out of him than that. We'll see.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I think the Eagles feel like Demeco is worth the money he's being paid because they see him as the best MLB and possibly the best LB on their team. They have said that they see him as a 3 down LB.

I disagree with that. I think Demeco is miscast as that at this point. It's not so much the base Scheme as much as trying to have him be a 3-down player. That's what I'm trying to say.

I don't care what team he goes to. I would rather have him play the role that he played with the Texans last year. The Eagles think they can squeeze more out of him than that. We'll see.
But this is what I was saying about the old Eagle defense. That defense was kind of unique. Their Mike wasn't a guy that had much coverage responsibility. Jeremiah Trotter flourished in that Mike position and he was 300# and while agile for his size, he wasn't the guy you wanted covering anyone in space. And he was on the field all three downs in that defense. Demeco, as he exists today, could play that Jeremiah Trotter role and be a 3-down LB.

BUT.

With the loss of Jimmy Johnson and his guys and Reid moving the OL coach over to DC, I'm not so sure this new defense is what that old defense used to be. And because of that, I agree with you that the Eagles might not get out of him what they expect to.

But if Jimmy Johnson was still there, Demeco would have been a great fit in his defense.

Texas T

Veteran
But this is what I was saying about the old Eagle defense. That defense was kind of unique. Their Mike wasn't a guy that had much coverage responsibility. Jeremiah Trotter flourished in that Mike position and he was 300# and while agile for his size, he wasn't the guy you wanted covering anyone in space. And he was on the field all three downs in that defense. Demeco, as he exists today, could play that Jeremiah Trotter role and be a 3-down LB.

BUT.

With the loss of Jimmy Johnson and his guys and Reid moving the OL coach over to DC, I'm not so sure this new defense is what that old defense used to be. And because of that, I agree with you that the Eagles might not get out of him what they expect to.

But if Jimmy Johnson was still there, Demeco would have been a great fit in his defense.
This is the belief up here in Iggles country. He IS the best MLB the Eagles have had since Trotter.

On a side note, Trotter's son plays baseball in the same league my son does and I asked Jeremiah about this about two weeks ago and he agreed.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

The reason he's not here anymore is because he couldn't find more snaps to justify his salary
. Sure he might be more successful in a 4-3, but honestly I think he's going to find himself in a similar situation that he was in here. He's never been that great in pass coverage and over the years he's gotten a little worse at it.

The bold is the bottom line .... and it really had nothing to do with Ryans but everything to do with Cushing's play. No way was a post injury Ryans going to supplant Cushing as the only LB on the field in the nickle package. No knock at all on Ryans but Cushing is better in passing situations .... and this is a passing league.

Ryans did contribute heavily to his own lack of snaps in helping put teams in passing situations ....

I think Ryans can play 3 downs in a 4-3 pending he isnt asked to go into coverage much. He can be that guy who plugs the middle on draws and sniffs out screens both of which are often run in those situations. These are things he is very capable of doing and has the experience to go along with it.

I think the move is a win for all involved - Ryans finds himself in a good situation , the Eagles get value for the pick , The Texans shed salary when they had little choice but to do so and ended up with a high potential player in Crick for the draft pick.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I think the move is a win for all involved - Ryans finds himself in a good situation , the Eagles get value for the pick , The Texans shed salary when they had little choice but to do so and ended up with a high potential player in Crick for the draft pick.
The pick used on Crick was acquired in the trade that allowed the Bucs to move up into the 2nd round. Ben Jones was drafted with the 4th round pick from the Eagles.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
The pick used on Crick was acquired in the trade that allowed the Bucs to move up into the 2nd round. Ben Jones was drafted with the 4th round pick from the Eagles.
Correction noted .... Either way the Texans shed salary and got a quality prospect in return for Ryans. Jones was the #2 center in this draft on most boards behind Konz who went in the second round #55 overall .... Pretty good value if ya ask me.