Texans Sign Tyrone Poole

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanAddict, Aug 14, 2007.

1. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

Link

2. Matt

Matt Blogfather

I'm not a fan of this. He's an older version of Von Hutchins (i.e. a converted CB).

3. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I'd bet money that the deal is for the vet min., and given Smith's and Kubiak's track record with "street" free agents last year I think they deserve a little lee-way with the signing. As for his age, it's a meh to me. If Aaron Glenn is still playing then why not Poole. I'd be surprised if Poole was the opening day starter, at any position.

The thing that is most surprising is that Gibson was a no show.

4. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

When you're scraping the bottom of the barrel, you might not want to be too picky. At this point of training camp, you're not going to find much else.

Besides, Rick Smith hasn't done too bad of a job finding quality street free agents lately, so cut the man a little slack.

5. real

real Guest

We can't afford to have too many old back-ups...

If the young guys are getting all the tick during regular downs, are these old guys going to play special teams ?

We gotta find a balance...

6. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

I hadn't seen this before, but this was reported yesterday by Adam Schefter on nfl.com:

Link

I wonder if they might still try to make a deal, even with the signing of Poole. My guess is that the Chiefs asked for more than we were willing to give.

7. Twitch-Houston

Twitch-Houston Hall of Fame

Wasn't he pretty good with the Patriots?

8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Yeah, about 4 years ago. Not so good since then. To my knowledge, he's never played safety, only cornerback. Not sure what Smith & Kubiak are thinking here.

9. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Pretty suprised about the Gibson no show too. I think Gibson would've been a good stop gap solution for us.

I'm alright with the Poole Signing. At least it gives us a veteran presence back there and it's possible he could start for a nice price.I agree with Tru on beingable to finda good balance between getting some of the younger players some experience but at the same time I'm not so sure about some of the younger guys. I at least want options and that's what it looks like Rick Smith is giving Kubiak.

10. Dallas_Texan

Dallas_Texan Veteran

Are we talking about Wesley or Poole here?

11. real

real Guest

Maybe they picked up an extra veteran corner with experience so they can move D-Rob to safety...

:shrug:

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Poole. Poole played with the Pats a few years ago. Wesley currently is with the Chiefs.

13. Matt

Matt Blogfather

Exactly. I realize that Smithak have had a pretty good track record with the guy off the street, but this is just pointless. This guy is an older, less mobile version of Von Hutchins. We have young safeties in Mitchell/Harrison that could get some burn at FS with Simmons if need be.

14. Errant Hothy

If Mitchell and Harrison are good enough to see the feild as starters during the regular season, then they shold have no problems beating out an old geezer like Poole. Untill then I'll assume a late round pick and an UDFA are jsut not ready yet.

15. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

It pains my Scarlett and grey blood, but I doubt Mitchell makes the team.

16. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Don't give them any ideas.

17. Matt

Matt Blogfather

Harrison was a fourth round pick. That's not exactly "late" round.

Besides, the problem teams fall into when they sign guys like Poole is the circular reasoning of "we need an established player, let's sign this guy because he's played before, because he's played before he must be better than this rookie, no need to give the rookie a real shot because we have an established veteran at the position."

18. Errant Hothy

I agree that this type of thinking goes in the NFL, but not always. There is also the train of thought that "putting a rookie out there, just becasue he's a rookie and we need to know what he can do, even though we know that what he's hown is in camp and practice is that he is not ready to start, but he should play anyways cause he's a rookie and we need to know what he's got" is just as faulty.

You play rookies when there play inpractice shows you that they are ready, not before and I don't think ever because they are just a rookie.

19. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I'd say Kubiak's thinking is this: We need an established player who has proven he can do the job. If these rookies or F/As want to break thru and win a starter job, they see they have to step it up and beat out a guy who's shown he knows how to play.

You wouldn't want them to bring in some guy that is obvious "camp fodder" would you? Its all about keeping the competition level elevated.

And the pickings at FS and CB at this late date are really pretty slim.

20. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

All I can say about Poole is that his stats for last year are pretty funky:

In 12 games, he had 15 total tackles (14 solo, 1 assist) with 1 interception, sack, and 3 pass defenses.

Glenn and Brown had similar interception, sack and pass defense numbers. But both had about 5 times the number of tackles that Poole managed.