Texans sign S Jahleel Addae

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, May 1, 2019.

1. House of Pain

House of Pain Knee-jerkless

Good question. We don't know if the Texans were not interested in signing HB at all or just at that price? I would tend to believe that they wanted him back, but weren't willing to spend that much on him. I think we are better off spending that money elsewhere, even if it isn't this offseason.

thunderkyss and JB like this.
  2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

You're right

steelbtexan likes this.
  3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

They made a substantial offer. I believe in the $9M/yr range. I'll look around & see if I can find a source.

But they signed Gipson to a $7M contract, which I think is about right for Mathieu. $7-$9M/yr. He signed with KC for $14M/yr. Top dollar according to OTC. I'm glad we didn't do that. He may very well have been the top safety in FA, but he's nowhere near the best Safety in the league.

& imo, that's a good thing the Texans aren't playing that game.

Aj Bouye is another one. I liked him. I wanted the Texans to keep him. They should have tried to extend him before his final season. But iirc, they didn't address his deal until after, & then he's a month from FA... it would be foolish not to test the waters. But top 10? Again I like the kid but he's not among the ten best CBs in the league.

But yeah, if they offered HB $10M/yr he might still be here & TEs would still be our bane.

House of Pain, CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

That's all you had to say. Could have saved us a couple of pages.

CWTexansFan, JB and Max like this.
  5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Hope springs eternal

CWTexansFan likes this.
  6. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Agree on HB being overpriced for his level of play. To be fair not many safeties can be worth that amount.

As far as Bouye, the team should have franchised him like they have with Clowney when a long term deal couldn't be reached prior to free agency opening.

And as far as Steelb's ranting about Texans not retaining their own...

Post injury Matt Schaub/Cushing, Griffin, Fiedo and a host of other re-signings we'd rather forget. The Texans have always made it a priority to re-sign their own players. Hopefully now that Gaine is at the helm they will take a player's future production into account prior to giving them a new deal.

Now lets get back to talking about our new 3rd safety!