Texans sign S Jahleel Addae

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, May 1, 2019.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

2. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

CWTexansFan and powda like this.
  3. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Solid 3rd safety candidate!

4. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

5. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Moderators please merge

6. TheRealJoker

“Addae had played more snaps on the defense over the past six years than any other member of the team but was also due $6 million in 2019. Releasing him saved the Chargers $5 million in salary cap space. ”

“"Jahleel was part of our rookie class my first year with the organization in 2013," Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said in a statement from the team. "Not only did he make the team as an undrafted free agent, he won a starting role at safety and became an undisputed team leader. In his time here, nobody has worked harder, and exemplified what we want in a Charger more than Jahleel. These decisions are never easy, and we will always be grateful for Jahleel's contributions both on the field and in our community."

TexansFan15, HaveMercy and TheKDog like this.
  7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

We got 76

Max likes this.
  8. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

There goes that wild & crazy Brian Gaine again blowing thru the McNairs fortune !

steelbtexan and HaveMercy like this.
  9. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

competition is good, seems solid. I dont recall this dude standing out but did not watch the Chargers much

10. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

He is a similar but somewhat more controlled version of Swearinger. Has always been known as an extremely hard hitter. The problem he has is that he is felt to have been burned too often in coverage last year. Many have said that he's a box safety who was forced to play free safety with arrival of the Chargers' 1st rnd pick safety Derwin James there. In 2016 and 2017, before James appearance, he had an 85.2 and 83.4 PFF rating, respectively.............after James, in 2018 a 60.1.

Interesting to know his "origin."
    San Diego Chargers Jahleel Addae Became a Safety After He Pancaked a Linebacker in Practice

11. TheRealJoker

In 2017 he ranked 7th among safeties in snaps lined up in slot percentage so sounds like he is reasonably versatile and gives the DBs solid tackling/physicality missing from K Jax departure. Hopefully our coaches don’t miscast him like it appears he was last season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-closer-look-nfl-safeties-in-the-slot

12. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

Now THAT is funny. He will turn out to be a value pick up and a good addition to the team

13. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Yep sounds to me like Crennel is trying to replace some of Matthieu's versatility. I like this move.

14. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I'm not real familiar with him. I know the name, but I just don't watch enough Chargers football to have a good handle on him. But from what I've read, this seems like a good under the radar sort of move. He can easily fill the 3rd safety role vacated by Hal, and give the team some decent depth at that spot.

steelbtexan and thunderkyss like this.
  15. CloakNNNdagger

Consistent with my post above, it looks like the Texans are planning to put Addae back into his comfort level at strong/box safety.

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat 15h15 hours ago
    #Texans signing former Chargers safety Jahleel Addae. Gaine mentioned they needed to find an answer for the retirement of Andre Hal. Addae has starting experience and could be that third safety to allow Justin Reid and Tashuan Gipson to play deep.

16. TheRealJoker

Really excited about this value signing. Will be looking at Game Pass some time this week to check out his playoff games against the Ravens and Dolphins where he had a combined 19 tackles starting both games (6 against Ravens 13 against Pats).

vupac1 likes this.
  17. TheRealJoker

Could be a gameplan the Texans deploy against a running QB:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001008744/article/chargers-speedy-secret-plan-stopped-ravens

According to Next Gen Stats, the Chargers used seven defensive backs on 58 of 59 D snaps (98.3 percent) versus the Ravens in the Wild Card round. Across the NFL this season, there were only 353 total defensive plays with seven DBs on the field (50 by the Chargers) -- L.A. allowed 3.9 yards per play with seven DBs versus the Ravens.

"It was top secret," Desmond King said of the game plan, via the team's official website.

Essentially using safeties Jahleel Addae and Derwin James as in-the-box linebackers allowed the Chargersto get more speed on the field to combat Jackson's running.

18. CloakNNNdagger

A new happy Texan at signing!

[​IMG]

CWTexansFan and TheRealJoker like this.
  19. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

did I miss it? Any info on the contract? Assume this is not a 1 year prove it

20. CloakNNNdagger