Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans sign OT Will Yeatman

Signed as an UDFA with the Pats in 2011 as a TE.
Released then picked up by the Dolphins.

Converted to OT.
Grown from 270 to 315 ?

Played very little the last two yearz.
1 offensive snap in 2012 and 18 in 2013 (and 80 ST snaps).
Normally used as an extra OT (similar to Gardner).

RFA, not tendered by the Dolphins.
Since he started as an UDFA, a third level tender of $1.4M wouldn't have brought them any comp pick.

Sounds like the Texans might have signed him at the minimum veteran level.

Read that he's not quite 100% yet.
(Was put on IR last November. )

Hardly sounds like competition to Newton ?!?

6'6"/315 conversion project (TE) took 18 offensive snaps in two games with Dolphins last year coming off ACL repair.

UDFA for short time with Patriots in 2011, later claimed by Dolphins. Gaine/OB connections.

This was a "former" Notre Dame player that people speculated Belichick might draft as a blocking tightend, especially since he like Belichick had avid lacrosse interests (both played the game), and played football at Notre Dame for former Belichick assistant and Irish head coach Charlie Weis. But the Notre Dame connection probably got screwed up when Yeatment got drunk as a skunk against team rules, and actually thought the main campuses sidewalk was the street. He was stopped after weaving on and off of this narrow sidewalk with his headlights off. He was thought to be so intoxicated that his headlights probably wouldn't have helped any anyway. He was forced to transfer schools after that...............but that was when he was ~19.

This was a "former" Notre Dame player that people speculated Belichick might draft as a blocking tightend, especially since he like Belichick had avid lacrosse interests (both played the game), and played football at Notre Dame for former Belichick assistant and Irish head coach Charlie Weis. But the Notre Dame connection probably got screwed up when Yeatment got drunk as a skunk against team rules, and actually thought the main campuses sidewalk was the street. He was stopped after weaving on and off of this narrow sidewalk with his headlights off. He was thought to be so intoxicated that his headlights probably wouldn't have helped any anyway. He was forced to transfer schools after that...............but that was when he was ~19.

Well look at it this way, at least we're no longer afraid to sign someone that's not a choir boy.

Well look at it this way, at least we're no longer afraid to sign someone that's not a choir boy.

If you like forgiveness after repentance, I can agree. If you tolerate ongoing misbehavior, then I disagree.

Nothing wrong with us choir boys.

Bumping this thread to check if anybody knows the status of Yeatman? As I recall, he was starting to come on strong last year and I was getting excited for his depth on the O-line before getting injured?

With the team deciding to completely ignore OL in this draft, are they really depending on the likes of Yeatman, Witz, Quess, etc to come back and contribute?

Bumping this thread to check if anybody knows the status of Yeatman? As I recall, he was starting to come on strong last year and I was getting excited for his depth on the O-line before getting injured?

With the team deciding to completely ignore OL in this draft, are they really depending on the likes of Yeatman, Witz, Quess, etc to come back and contribute?
Sad, wasn't it? They must be counting without injuriies so they don't need depth. You know Quess, bless his heart, isn't coming back. Yeatman, et al, remain a mystery.

The latest news on Quessenberry is that he's started working out again, running and lifting. He played at about 300 lbs and is down to about 275 lbs. It would be monumental for him to make the roster this season; more likely to spend this next season on the PS.

Yeatman is a young veteran the coaching staff seems to be high on. Reports from last year's training camp is that he performed creditably. I would say he has the inside track to replace Clabo as the swing tackle.

The latest news on Quessenberry is that he's started working out again, running and lifting. He played at about 300 lbs and is down to about 275 lbs. It would be monumental for him to make the roster this season; more likely to spend this next season on the PS.

Yeatman is a young veteran the coaching staff seems to be high on. Reports from last year's training camp is that he performed creditably. I would say he has the inside track to replace Clabo as the swing tackle.

I think DQ gets another year on IR unless the Texans can get a special slot for players returning from a life threatening illness. I don't think they'd use the only slot they have for an IR player who can return on him. I don't think he ever goes to the PS where someone else can pick him off the roster.

I think DQ gets another year on IR unless the Texans can get a special slot for players returning from a life threatening illness. I don't think they'd use the only slot they have for an IR player who can return on him. I don't think he ever goes to the PS where someone else can pick him off the roster.

Isn't there a NFLI list for this sort of situation??

There is a difference between a guy that is sorry for what he did and a guy who is sorry he got caught. One deserves a second chance and the other doesn't.

John Harris in an interview today was asked about the OL. He said that Yeatman and Q would be back this year to shore up the OL. He said this as it was of no doubt. And that he saw Q and "he looked good" whatever that means. As far as Q, we're all pulling for him, with the type of condition he has, recurrence is common, stress/exertion may not be a positive, endurance may be much more difficult to rebuild, and blood work will be followed closely with any new abnormalities likely to preclude continuance of his play. Most "acute" recurrences occur within the first 2 year following diagnosis (Q was diagnosed June 2014.....only 11 months ago). Despite Q having completed heavy duty treatments, it is likely that he will be maintained on a supportive treatment regimen through the remainder of the 2 year high risk period. At this point, his ability to return to play at all must be guarded. Specifically, this will be quite early, if he is indeed able to return to play by the beginning of the season and maintain the level of play expected. I only wish good luck to the young man in his difficult battle to come back.

John Harris in an interview today was asked about the OL. He said that Yeatman and Q would be back this year to shore up the OL. He said this as it was of no doubt. And that he saw Q and "he looked good" whatever that means. As far as Q, we're all pulling for him, with the type of condition he has, recurrence is common, stress/exertion may not be a positive, endurance may be much more difficult to rebuild, and blood work will be followed closely with any new abnormalities likely to preclude continuance of his play. Most "acute" recurrences occur within the first 2 year following diagnosis (Q was diagnosed June 2014.....only 11 months ago). Despite Q having completed heavy duty treatments, it is likely that he will be maintained on a supportive treatment regimen through the remainder of the 2 year high risk period. At this point, his ability to return to play at all must be guarded. Specifically, this will be quite early, if he is indeed able to return to play by the beginning of the season and maintain the level of play expected. I only wish good luck to the young man in his difficult battle to come back.

This does not sit well with me. It's one thing to risk long term injury to a limb by coming back too soon, but to risk a potentially terminal illness? It's uncivilized. It's his choice, but I would hope that the doctors or the FO discouraged it.

Back